Hide
5 Posts

King Down» Forums » Rules

Subject: Pawns reaching baseline rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Forest
msg tools
Does anything happen when a pawn reaches the opposite baseline? Can it take a baseline character...can it rescue a character out of a keep? Does it just stand there like an asshole until a spell can redirect it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, nothing happens; it just sits there as cannon fodder for the opponent to gobble up for a victory point with some other piece.

I guess you could house-rule that a piece is "rescued" but the only real effect would be to prolong the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Westlake Village
California
flag msg tools
There is nothing in the rulebook that says anything special happens when a PIKE reaches the baseline, so at that point the piece is just taking up space.

The bottom of page 3 of the rulebook indicates that no unit on any baseline can be taken under normal circumstances, to unless a spell like FIRE STARTER is used, it is not even fodder.

There is not as much reason to move towards an enemies baseline as there is in chess. You can't normally take pieces there, and you get victory points by taking or occupying the capital, which usually happens outside of the baseline. For this reason, I imagine there was no need to worry about what happens if a PIKE reaches the baseline, because it is so unlikely to happen before the game ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Westlake Village
California
flag msg tools
Robotconan wrote:
Does it just stand there ... until a spell can redirect it?

Yes, thats the one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saar Shai
United States
BRONX
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here to confirm - Pawns ("Pikes") reaching the other side of the board are kind of stuck, but there are several spells that can help "dislodge" them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.