Popular Tags: [View All]
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I am on holiday at the moment, and having thought about Pandemic a lot for 7 days in a row is what prompted me to write this.

When I started becoming interested in cooperative games, I heard one title mentioned everywhere: Pandemic. Even though I had played and enjoyed Leacock's games before and not a single negative word about this game was spoken, I was never even remotely interested in it: because of personal reasons the theme put me off.

Roughly a year ago, I buckled. My sister-in-law was about to study Medicine and I bought Pandemic to celebrate. She is in the group in which I most play (and most enjoy) coops, so it sort of felt right. We started playing and, truth be told, instantly fell for its charm. The game was challenging enough, the theme (*gulp*, it pains me to admit it) actually adds relevance to what you are collectively trying to accomplish and the game plays very smoothly. We thus enjoyed a couple of games and Pandemic quickly became somewhat of a regular on our table.

But then I got the On the Brink expansion. Suddenly, everything was different. The way the game looks on the table is better, it has become much more challenging, we can now play with 5 or against each other, the diseases have become mush less stable and...

Pandemic has become something of a disease itself: it's become an addiction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Heisey
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does OTB expand the solo game? I usually play by myself as 2-3 people, as none of my roommates are especially interested in the game (though one seems to be intrigued...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheJRMY wrote:
Does OTB expand the solo game? I usually play by myself as 2-3 people, as none of my roommates are especially interested in the game (though one seems to be intrigued...).

I have never tried the game solo, but: of course!
1 module adds a mutation (purple cubes, new strain).
1 module replaces the normal epidemic cards with "virulent strain" cards. These ensure that 1 of the diseases starts acting differently from before.
Then there are the new roles...

The only thing this expansion brings that a solo player could not (easily) use is the 1 vs all module of the Bio Terrorist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'Brien
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The In The Lab expansion(which is essential IMHO) has a solo variant but I suggest just choosing 3 roles and taking each turn yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheJRMY wrote:

I only play solo and OTB really adds to the game. I bought it shortly after I got the base game. There are more event cards and more roles to choose from. This keeps it interesting. There are also new challenges like AernoutMJC said but TBH, I haven't tried them yet. Perhaps OTB is a bit pricey for what you get but for me it was well worth it. I got both Pandemic and OTB on sale for $20 each. I too was addicted for a while. Even if I never play again, I feel I have gotten much more than my money's worth.

I started out playing 2 roles then I worked up to 3 and then 4. The only (?) change in the rules with OTB is that you add 2 event cards per player in the player deck. Since the base game only has 5 event cards, you will be slightly disadvantaged when you play with 3 or 4 roles but it is not as big a disadvantage as adding another epidemic card.

The expansions add variety and make it more interesting but if you don't like the base game then the expansions won't help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Steve
msg tools
TheJRMY wrote:

Sadly i have the same problem, most of my mates dont really have any interest in Pandemic, which is a shame. They seem to be more interested in a game where everyone cutthroat-ing each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.