GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,268 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Galaxy Defenders» Forums » Rules

Subject: Agent Niobium - Repulse Melee? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Battle Droid
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering about Niobium's Repulse weapon. It says it is ranged (has the bow printed next to the 3 dice indicator) but it has a range of 0.
So, wondering if this is supposed to be a melee weapon instead? It seems weird that it could jam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Battle Droid
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just noticed on Niobium's NPC card that Repulse is indeed melee.
Because of that, going to play his Repulse weapon on his agent profile sheet as melee also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The agent card is probably a mistake. The Xeno-Hunter from the original Kickstarter had the same problem (his fist blade attack was erroneously printed as ranged, despite clearly being a melee attack). Hopefully the Gremlins will add this to their FAQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

This is not a mistake, it was intentionally created as Ranged for 2 purposes:

1) thematically... this is not a completely physical attack.
2) The Jam can occurs, but it is a small negative for a very useful weapon, consider this aspect as a balancer.

The NPC was created with a more standard view, especially for not creating confusion with the A.I. behaviours.

Good Luck agents!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Machado
Brazil
Florianópolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In that case, the Jam is a Headache, right?
He can't concentrate... So he needs to Unjam (take an Ibuprofen), before he can try that again.

Okay, I think my imagination went too far here... LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Battle Droid
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like a good thematic reasoning to design decisions
I guess the jam could represent mental fatigue or something similar.

Best part is, I don't need to print out a blue melee symbol and stick it on the Agent sheet any more.

Thank you for clarifying (and ultimately avoiding endless discussions about it right in the middle of a mission!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My duty! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...I haven't gotten done reading the new rulebook yet, but I was always under the impression that in order to do ranged attack, the target would need to be within the range of the weapon. Since hexes within the same area as the attacker are still considered range 1, then how is it ever possible to attack anything at range zero without using melee?

I understand the themetic reasons for it, I just can't wrap my head around the game mechanics that make it possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero_guy wrote:
Since hexes within the same area as the attacker are still considered range 1, then how is it ever possible to attack anything at range zero without using melee?

Same way a Iridium can plant five dice to the face of the Spine Critter that snuck up on him with his sniper rifle; melee and ranged are types of weapons, but ranged weapons can hit adjacent targets (and if memory serves, there's at least one melee weapon in the Kickstarter 2 agents that can hit targets up to {1}).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:
(and if memory serves, there's at least one melee weapon in the Kickstarter 2 agents that can hit targets up to {1}).

I think it's the Guardian's improved weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero_guy wrote:
Since hexes within the same area as the attacker are still considered range 1, then how is it ever possible to attack anything at range zero without using melee?

You are wrong. All adjacent hexes are at range 0, even if they are not in the same area.
In the same area but not adjacent or one area away is range 1. Then range 2, and so on. Melee weapons usually attack at range 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.