GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,334 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Mike
Australia
Greenmount
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
So, if an adjacent sector has two planets in it, and those two planets are adjacent to each other, can 2 ground units move to the first planet (which has a valid path), and then 1 of the 2 ground units continue moving to the second planet (which now has a valid path, but was not reachable before the first move)?

Is there something in the rules specifically forbidding this or stating the correct movement.

I have been playing that this is not allowed, but I was thinking about it during a game tonight, and wondering if it is legal. Looking at the rules, I wondered if the ground movement needs to be done in one chunk, from one place to one other place, or in pieces, as in my example above.

Much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Do ground units build their path as they move?
It's not allowed: all ground movement is considered simultaneous and so all movement paths have to be available before any piece is moved. This is in the RRG but I don't have that to hand so can''t give you the exact reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TwoShedsJackson wrote:
This is in the RRG but I don't have that to hand so can''t give you the exact reference.

Pg. 8:

Quote:
» During an Advance Order, all ground units move simultaneously. This means that all legal paths are determined before moving any ground units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Australia
Greenmount
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Many thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kunze
United States
Plymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This same type of situation came up in one my games, and I referenced that exact passage from the rules. My opponent wasn't convinced that it answered the question because he felt that it wasn't clear if there could only be one legal path, or multiple legal paths. He kept insisting that since movement happens simultaneously, it didn't matter and he would be able to end his movement with units in two different worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Australia
Greenmount
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Beznuk wrote:
This same type of situation came up in one my games, and I referenced that exact passage from the rules. My opponent wasn't convinced that it answered the question because he felt that it wasn't clear if there could only be one legal path, or multiple legal paths. He kept insisting that since movement happens simultaneously, it didn't matter and he would be able to end his movement with units in two different worlds.

I think you can end up with ground units in two different worlds, as long as they are in the active sector and they have a valid path, don't cause two combats etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sham
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
That's exactly what a Cylon would say!
badge
All is dust...
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like the problem being solved is trying to move 'through' a Neutral / Empty planet in order to reach another destination.

The rules as written state a path is only valid through Friendly areas.

So you move units into the Neutral area, no battle is fought, and then you move THROUGH the neutral area into a final area (that can be Contested or Neutral).

Seems like all movement is simultaneous, so you are not allowed to 'move through' a neutral area. You'll need multiple advances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.