GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,405 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: looking for a team against team game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Shafer
msg tools
I'll start by saying I am not looking for a cooperative game. The only game I have played that is similar to what I'm looking for is the 6-player board in Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 1 – Team Asia & Legendary Asia, Team asia. teams vs teams. anyone have any recommendations? I'm sure a lot of games could be played as teams and work similar, but what I'm really looking for is a game designed to work this way, and I'm really drawing a blank. I can't think of any!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Smith
United States
Clinton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flick 'em Up! has been getting good buzz recently. I've also heard there's good 2v2 play in Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shafer
msg tools
abridgedfantasy wrote:
Flick 'em Up! has been getting good buzz recently. I've also heard there's good 2v2 play in Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers.

I'm a bit reluctant to play dexterity games, but flick 'em up! has been generating a LOT of buzz, i'll keep an ear on it and see if it would go over well with my game group or not. Arena of the planeswalkers will be something I'll look into, the price seems very fair, and I know someone at my flgs has a copy, I'll have to ask him if he'd be interested in playing soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't care whether the game has an actual "board" or not, there are plenty of social deduction games that work team vs. team.

Coup (with Reformation expansion)
Ultimate Werewolf
One Night ultimate Werewolf
The Resistance (or Avalon)
Two Rooms and a Boom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right in saying that team games are uncommon in the board gaming world, although they are quite common in the traditional card game world (you will find many of them listed on pagat.com) and in party games.

The only one I've played is:

Space Cadets: Dice Duel

However, if you do an advanced search under Partnerships (which is a mechanic that includes team play (along with hidden teams, one vs. many, and temporary alliances)) you will find more team games. Some times it will be games where teams are in the basic rules (like the aforementioned Dice Duel or Quartermaster General would be another example) or as an official play variant (like Innovation, Ingenious, or König von Siam) or even as an expansion (Pandemic: In the Lab or TtR Asia).

Unfortunately, you will have to do a lot of digging because team games are far outnumbered by the other interpretations of Partnerships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Johnson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game and Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game both have team play as an option.

There are also hidden team games like Dark Moon and A Study in Emerald that might work for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes Space Cadets: Dice Duel is really great for team vs. team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
1775: Rebellion

1812: The Invasion of Canada
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonie van der Tweel
msg tools
mbmb
4-handed chess is a team game, and there are more chess variants that are played as a team. (dropchess for instance) I would suggest games like wings of glory, Wooden ships Iron men, airforce. As one player can only reasonably control a limited number of units, having multiple players on each side offers larger sea- or airbattles. It works especially well with limited communication between players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
mbmbmbmbmb
there's a team version of 7 Wonders introduced in the Cities expansion. i don't think you actually need Cities to play it but there is where you will find the rules.

i'm not a big fan of it but it does score as you described.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Any sports game. My favorite is Playbook Football.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Berger
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowecore wrote:

I second these - and also Quartermaster General

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Rose
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure the largest Small world map(may be an expansion) is a team vs team map only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shafer
msg tools
thanks for the info guys, I think I'll snoop into the 7 wonders cities team rules, and team small world sounds pretty fun as well. Most of all I just find it interesting that this mechanic(play style?) isnt used more often, i feel it can create a lot of good and interesting games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
1v1, 2v2, or 3v3
Popular Front

2v2
Carolus Magnus
König von Siam
Lagoon: Land of Druids
Fantastiqa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ir. Marcel
Netherlands
Meteren
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to own Kontor, which had to separate rules sets: one for two players and one for a team play mode with two players on each side.
Dakota seems also to be an interesting candidate, it was on my wish list for a while, but since I play mostly two player games it left that list. There are always two sides playing in this game: cowboys vs. native Americans and players are playing both for their team as for themselves. It seems still a nice game for me.
Frank's Zoo is a card game with optional rules for team play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've thought of this too.

The best ones for teams vs. teams that I've found are...

Ladies & Gentlemen
StarCraft: The Board Game

Otherwise, there are a lot of 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 games out there.

Good luck searching. I'm curious to hear what you find.

edit: i mean 2v2v2v2v2 or 2v2v2, instead of just one team vs one other team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Roehrig
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoboRally has some really great "capture the flag" and "teamdeathmatch" scenarios

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of open team games my favourites are
Quartermaster General
1812: The Invasion of Canada

And if you're also into hidden team games
A Study in Emerald
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game
and lighter than the above two, a shameless plug for
[redacted]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time's Up! Title Recall!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowecore wrote:

+1 to these. 1775 is top-notch. I've heard they were doing a French and Indian War version, but it's been quiet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind a little card game Star Realms is incredibly cheap and offers some fun 2v2 and 3v3 deck building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Reynolds
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cyclades: Titans has 3 teams of 2 for the 6 player game. Unfortunately if you do not have Cyclades, buying both may be pricey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R H
United States
Bethany
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BioShock Infinite: The Siege of Columbia is 2v2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.