Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Cubberly
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
As you all know, this game can take a long time to play, especially with more casual gamers who don't strictly use timers and other methods that speed up the game.

In the past we've had issues with someone needing to leave because of how late it's getting. In the few times this has happened, we've tried really hard to keep playing, but there's really nothing we came up with that's fair and easy to do.

I suspect the only answer will be that when this happens it's best to just end it early. But I thought I'd see if anyone else has tried anything that worked in these cases? With all the bidding and secret planning, it just seems impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had this happen to me, and there's not much of a way to deal with it. What's I've ended up doing is have one person play two houses. Depending on board state, generally this goes to another weak player, or someone across the board. Greyjoy-Martell, Bara-Greyjoy, Stark-Tyrell work really well since they're so far apart, and to a lesser extent Bara Lannister, depending on how poorly Lannister is doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brophy
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
When this happens to us, the player would usually tell us well in advance. Like, "Oh guys, I need to leave in an hour", and so we would play another two or three rounds and leave it there. But we'll always mention this is going to be the last round. Sure, we finish the game early, and people's long term strategies mightn't get finished, or disrupted, but it's better than having someone complain that they lost because they lost their ally or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
This happened to us last night and we dealt with it pretty well. It was on turn 8. The person playing Greyjoy had to leave. Before they left they stacked defense tokens and support tokens and we kept them where they were.

Some cards came up which would have invalidated support orders and they moved down on the tracks to the point where they couldn't have played star orders (star defense/star support), but we ignored that and kept the tokens where they were.

Basically we considered them an incredibly strong neutral army. They had the iron throne at one point since they were in second when Martell's attack card which moves your opponent down an influence track hit the person in first, so we used a die to determine ties and card effects until a new clash of kings came.

So, while everyone would rather have them in the game, converting them to a neutral army with permanent tokens (to boost defense) worked pretty well for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Scott
msg tools
mb
Depending on how many players there are it may be best to have somebody else try to play as that player without bias - preferably somebody who wouldn't be right next to that player on the map. The player should pretty much continue whatever strategy the former player was doing - maybe decide who will be replacing the leaving player and then that person can take a moment to privately talk with that leaving player to see what they were going for.

Having somebody leave really does kill the momentum, though. I had somebody leave on like turn 9... and of course they always say, "Don't worry, we can come back and finish later," but we all know that never happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.