6 Posts

Game of Thrones: The Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Bolton cards/Control/Reek questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi guys, my wife and I have just got a bunch of the fan-expansions - Baratheon, Bolton, Watch, and Targeryen and had some question about some of these newer elements to play. We have only recently started playing card games, and we used the HBO GoT to start off easy, so if any of these are based on game modes from other games or the original GoT game thats why we don't quite understand.

Anyway, my main question is how control works, and what exactly Reek does?

"After you win an [Intrigue] challenge in which Reek participated as an attacker, give the defending player control of Reek to choose and take control of 1 character controlled by that player"

Maybe its badly written grammatically, or maybe its just me, but I'm not sure what i do with him. Does it mean that he takes control of the opponents player, and then can control that player, or does it mean we get to swap, and they get to choose who comes over to my side? OR does it mean something else entirely. Have never played with any characters that can or have 'taken control' so its a bit confusing. Thanks fellas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Win an Intrigue Challenge (with Reek as an Attacker).

2. Give Reek to the Losing Defender.

3. You (Winning Attacker) Choose one of the Losing Defender's Characters.

4. Take Control of that Character. Move it to your Area. It now counts as "your" Character for Challenges, Dominance, Claim, Actions, etc. If Killed or Discarded, it goes to its Owner's (not Controller's) Dead or Discard Pile.

5. Losing Opponent tries desperately to win an Intrigue Challenge with Reek, so they can "trade him back"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Okay that makes more sense! Thanks. And is that basically just how the 'control' of other players work? We played as Bolton Vs Baratheon and I had a load of events and responses etc that related to control, and could never use them. Is the Bolton deck made to be played with another deck with control elements?

Also, are the fan decks also made for multi-play, because a lot of the new plots that we used had things like 'choose a first player' and things. I don't even know how you would play this with more than 2 players.

Haha, sorry for all the questions, but we're such noobs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Morphindel wrote:

Also, are the fan decks also made for multi-play, because a lot of the new plots that we used had things like 'choose a first player' and things. I don't even know how you would play this with more than 2 players.

One of the fan expansions has the 6 title (e.g., Hand of the King) cards so you can play with 3 or 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look again at the Bolton cards -- there are several that say "take control" of a character (Locke, Steelshanks, Qyburn, Dubious Loyalties).

The other Bolton cards (that say "when control of a character changes"), trigger off those effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stannis B
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morphindel wrote:
We played as Bolton Vs Baratheon and I had a load of events and responses etc that related to control, and could never use them.

Yeah, I hear you. Actually, I am working on a major overhaul of the Bolton deck. Stealing characters is pretty strong, so there needs to be some obstacle to use it. But right now, you can't often trigger many of your responses. I do want to keep this theme for the Bolton deck, though, so the new version focusses more on your characters changing sides. That did work fine in our test games, the Bolton deck runs much smoother now and your events aren't dead cards in your hand. I hope I'll be able to post the new cards by end of this month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.