9 Posts

The Republic of Rome» Forums » Rules

Subject: Electing a Consul for life rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pedro Baringo
msg tools
Hi!
Today we played the game and we had a few doubts.

The most important one was in electing the consul for life.
A player controled a senator with 25 influence and was de Presiding magistrate, he also had more votes than the other players together, so it seems that he woud win the voting, but looking at the rules (1.09.144) if all the other players rejected the proposition it would be rejected. So it seems impossible to win that way, the other players would never vote to elect another player's senator for consul for life.

So the question is if we missed something in the rules.

Thank you!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
If the PM is the one putting forth the proposal then yes, the effects of 1.09.144 would apply (any other senator must use a tribune, and "these penalties do not apply when a Tribune is used to put forth a proposal"), but this has no bearing on whether or not the attempt is successful.

What does affect an attempt to grab Consul for Life are the provisions of 1.09.821, which states, in part,

RoR Living Rules wrote:
The nominee may already hold an office. For this vote, the nominee may add his Influence to his vote total. Consul for Life can be proposed only once per turn and cannot be vetoed. If a Tribune is used to propose Consul for Life, it may, however, be cancelled by an appropriate Intrigue card (e.g., Graft). Assassination attempts may take place during such a vote, but once elected, the Consul For Life cannot be assassinated.

With his added influence he may be able to carry the vote.
But then you have a few other options for preventing him running away with the show.

edit: Seems I may not have answered the question you asked. Let me try again.
A unanimous vote against by other senators only has the effect of causing the PM to make the choice of losing influence or the position of PM--after the vote--but once the successful vote has taken place he is now Consul for Life, but Consul for Life is not considered PM anyway, and the loss of influence would have no effect.
So as Consul for Life, he takes control of all senators, and will win at the end of turn (pending survival).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
INLOY wrote:
Hi!

A player controled a senator with 25 influence and was de Presiding magistrate, he also had more votes than the other players together, so it seems that he woud win the voting, but looking at the rules (1.09.144) if all the other players rejected the proposition it would be rejected. So it seems impossible to win that way, the other players would never vote to elect another player's senator for consul for life.

Thank you!!

1.09.144 only kicks in when the proposal is defeated. If the PM has enough votes to win the election for Consul for Life, 1.09.144 doesn't apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

chargetheguns wrote:
INLOY wrote:
Hi!

Thank you!!

1.09.144 only kicks in when the proposal is defeated. If the PM has enough votes to win the election for Consul for Life, 1.09.144 doesn't apply.

Oh yea, then there's that little distinction. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chargetheguns wrote:

Are you sure about that?
My rulebook says that it works if the proposal is rejected by a unanimous vote of all other Senators in Rome controlled by other factions. It doesn't mention the fact the vote has to be successful or not.

But then, about Consul for life, I don't think it will prevent him from winning anyway (pending survival, as tanik said).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

The AH version and the living rules use the word "defeated".
There is a subtle difference in the language that I guess the updates were trying to 'correct'.

But, no, in your situation it wouldn't make any difference, as I described above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Baringo
msg tools
Thank you! That's the conclusion I reached after rereading the rules.
I have the VG version (in spanish) and I can't find what you said about increasing the votes with the influence. Maybe it changed between versions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's rule 1.09.821 "consul for life - election".
Don't you have it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

I'm not sure how the VG version is laid out but in the AH book it's toward the end of the section on the Senate Phase, titled "Consul for Life", section 9.61.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.