6 Posts

Churchill» Forums » Rules

Subject: Roosevelt vs Churchill agenda rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Forse
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If during the agenda segment, Roosevelt plays a two strength card and Churchill plays a one strength card (plus staff bonus); where do y'all place the issue marker? I've been placing it one in on Roosevelt's track ignoring the imperial staff bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kindt
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You would also need to know what Stalin played, as the placement value is the difference between the winner and lowest loser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you ignore the staff bonus? That is literally the only time it's useful. If the powers are all tied, the issue is chosen by the US, but the issue stays in the middle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Forse
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bridger wrote:
Why would you ignore the staff bonus? That is literally the only time it's useful. If the powers are all tied, the issue is chosen by the US, but the issue stays in the middle.

That's what I was afraid of, I hoped that the winner retained a bit more advantage than just an additional issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnIsCool wrote:
If during the agenda segment, Roosevelt plays a two strength card and Churchill plays a one strength card (plus staff bonus); where do y'all place the issue marker? I've been placing it one in on Roosevelt's track ignoring the imperial staff bonus.

Not sure what Stalin played but if the differential is zero it goes in the middle of the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, this represents Roosevelt and Churchill having a minor tiff over the agenda of the conference. Churchill wants to put X on the table FDR wants Y. FDR successfully persuades Churchill to drop X as his agenda item deferring to FDR, but FDR is making the pitch for the agenda item without a very persuasive argument on his side, and has a moderately irritated Churchill to deal with, to boot - a man who's foreign office is used to getting its way.

Don't underestimate the value of getting to choose an agenda. At the very least, Churchill won't have 3 issues that he wants (which he usually gets), FDR will. Purchasing that for a 2-strength card seems like a *great* buy. FDR's tie-breaking power gives him one more thing that he might finagle away from the other two parties, or at least control to whom that issue goes!

And thanks Mark. I am (selfishly) so glad you finally retired. I can't wait to see what other things are bouncing around in that head of yours that you choose to share with us!

Edit: Another thing to think about with FDR's bid is that the *best* he could hope for was 1 space toward his own chair - certainly not a game-breaker, considering he knew he was playing a "2", knew that Churchill would at least tie him, and knew that if Russia played a 3 or higher, he would lose the issue altogether to one of the other parties. It sounds like FDR expected to lose the agenda in the first instance, but copped off with a lucky victory for a cheap price. Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.