GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,141 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Robert Purdon

Twinsburg
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two statments:
>At this time I'm not interested in investing in an LCG long term.
>I'm also not all that interested in adding a new game with required deckbuilding in advance of play (OK I may be, but noone else in my group is).

Followed by three questions:
>How would this game work to have prebuilt/ready to play decks of each clan/family?
>Would it get old quickly with the same decks?
>Is it absolutely required to get more than one core set to run a 4 player game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Rooney
United States
Canton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like you can play a single core set as a 2-4 player game (I mean they do include lists for 4 preconstructed decks right in the rules), but they aren't going to be built along the lines of "real" by-the-book decks. Also, because they're singleton decks you'll get a lot more variance than you'd expect from tournament legal constructed decks. If you're ok with that then you can definitely get away with 1 core set, if you're not then you probably want 2 or 3.

If you do get 2 or 3 core sets, then you're by definition going to have to do at least some initial deckbuilding to get people playable decks, but I'd be shocked if Someone On The Internet (tm) didn't provide suitable lists in the near future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
Couch wrote:

>How would this game work to have prebuilt/ready to play decks of each clan/family?

All decks built from one Core Set will have to use the "Banner" mechanic, i.e. you're using cards from two different factions in your deck. There are four prebuilt decks included in the Core Set:
The Old Ways (Stark/ Greyjoy)
At the Wall (Night’s Watch/ Baratheon)
From East to West (Targaryen/ Martell)
Secrets and Schemes (Lannister/ Tyrell)

It would be very easy and require ony minimal effort to create decks using different faction combinations. You'd just throw together all cards from the two factions you want to combine and add 5 neutral cards and 7 plot cards of your choice.

All decks built from one single Core Set follow different rules than would tournament legal decks (lower card count, only one copy of almost all cards, ignoring the rules for loyal cards).

Couch wrote:
>Would it get old quickly with the same decks?

That depends on how much one likes the game. There is no inherent reason why the game would get old any quicker than any other standalone one-box game. Given the assymetrical factions and the customization options included even in one single Core Set, I'd expect it to stay fresh longer than most.

Couch wrote:
>Is it absolutely required to get more than one core set to run a 4 player game?

The only reason for getting more than one Core Set is custom deckbuilding. Since, as per your leading statements, you have no interest in that, there is no reason whatsoever for you to get more than one Core Set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Purdon

Twinsburg
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome responses - thank you!! This game is now on my wishlist.thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should be able to get more replayability out of a core set of this than from most board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelė
Lithuania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which other faction do you think would go well with Martells? I don't really want to pair them with Targaryens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
msg tools
mbmb
I think Lanister is a good pairing for Martell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will mono-family decks be feasible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I call green!
mbmbmbmbmb
jobin13 wrote:
Will mono-family decks be feasible?
If by feasible you mean in a tournament setting, I'm hoping they will be over time, as I suspect they aren't right now despite the Fealty agenda's attempt at giving a boost to mono decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Helmut, your comment is what convinced me to get the game .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.