GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,370 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Got Strange Remnants today rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Theodore Thompson
United States
Elko
NV
flag msg tools
My copy arrived from Funagain.com via Amazon. I never realized that the priority mail from the U.S. Post office fits the box exactly. It weighed like a brick.

So I can say that this expansion has weighty elements within. Two counter sheets, lots of cards. It even had a space for the typical cardboard bump to separate everything.

From what I can tell, Syzgy can be just "drawn" as a random Mytho and then you must fetch the extra cards to make it work. All the new prelude cards, from what I could tell at first glance allow for being thrown into the mix without "having to play Syzgy."

I was very happy to see the new "Righteousness" Boon Condition. This one you can't lose unless you choose to. There is a prelude card that offers "Boons" to all players. Righteousness gives you a sanity for rest actions and a sanity for focus action. On a reckoning you can flip the card and get a powerful result, but you must discard afterwards. A few more cards already existing for conditions was added to the deck, such as another Bless.

My only complaint at this point in the expansions is that the major city encounter spaces are acting less like they are advertised. For instance, getting a lore improvement in Shanghai feels more likely it won't happen. Sure you'll get a unique asset task or a bless, but that is not as "hard needed" as an improvement to lore.

I would be completely content to see more of the "basic trait improvement" cards with different stories, but with less focus/clue requirements. I think focus is a handy mechanic option or mini-boon, but when I see it as a requirement on a card...in the early game especially, it really hurts the fun.

The new cards will liven up the possibilities tremendously, and I suspect that you really can't count on seeing anything in particular, anymore.

I own all the expansions and play with all cards in except MoM specific cards that require extra board. I would like to use the board in MoM, but I need to have a floating arm installed in the room so we can share the board between everyone at a slightly higher elevation. Queens to queens level 3 captain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason C
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with everything you've said, I think somewhere along the line namely after forgotten lore FFG must have changed there design ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Side question: How much extra enjoyment do I get out of this when I do not own MoM and only Forsaken Lore?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
All the Expansions are independent from each other. I think you'll get quite a bang for you buck, since this Expansion also introduces the Focus-Mechanic first seen in MoM. On top of this you'll get extra-encounters for Continent- and Generic-Spaces, additional Other World Encoutners, more Spells, Artifacts and Assets, new Investigators - all stuff to enhance variety in your Base Game-Experience with any AO, not just Syzygy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Wang
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
Procurer of rare and exclusive titles.
badge
I'm blue daba dee daba die daba deeeeeee daba die
mbmbmbmbmb
salex724 wrote:
I agree with everything you've said, I think somewhere along the line namely after forgotten lore FFG must have changed there design ideas.

What exactly do you mean? I haven't got this expansion yet, how has it changed EH?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
I think he means, that with new Location-Encounters in big Cities you're not anymore guaranteed to get that particular effect printed on the board. But wasn't it ALWAYS just an increased chance? When I look at some of the newer cards, the concept still seems to apply (and even in the Base Game there were some alternate Encounters around, just granting artifacts or a Blessing). Overall the formula still applies, though. I think that some variety among these encounters is actually a good thing; it increases the feeling of Risk and Adventure. And even with Expansions included, you'd still go to Arkham if you need a Spell. And wouldn't it be boring, if you already knew, that every resolved Expedition would be a guaranteed Artifact? No, some of them decrease Doom. I'd gladly take that as a consolation prize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vilkacis
msg tools
I got the expansion yesterday and played it with my SO. The one problem I really felt was that two big chunks of the expansion don't really mesh well with the rest of base game.

The Adventure mechanic sounds great but the cards included only work with one specific prelude.

The Mystic Ruins cards as well will only work if Syzygy is the Ancient One or if we have the one specific prelude so we were a little disappointed since had drawn a random prelude card and decided to hold off on Syzygy until another game.

Though everything else was pretty great so it was mostly just this little annoyance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Priddy
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muad Dib wrote:
Side question: How much extra enjoyment do I get out of this when I do not own MoM and only Forsaken Lore?

Muad Dib has a good question, I'm curious on how this weighs up to the other small box expansion Forsaken Lore. So what are your thoughts on this to those who have this expansion? If picking one of the two small expansions for EH, which one to go with for more fun?

Personally I thought that Forsaken lore brought a lot of variety to the game & after reading the information at the top of the post, seems this one is good to get but doesn't add the same amount of things to expand the game out. MoM expansion was also a goood choice as it added the prelude & insight mechanics. I might just be more biased to Forsaken as it adds Yig who I've always liked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Little
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zuxius wrote:

My only complaint at this point in the expansions is that the major city encounter spaces are acting less like they are advertised. For instance, getting a lore improvement in Shanghai feels more likely it won't happen. Sure you'll get a unique asset task or a bless, but that is not as "hard needed" as an improvement to lore.

Caveat: I've not obtained my copy of strange Remnants, so can only speak for the trends up through MoM.

Turns out that the likelihood of getting a city specific rewards has varied according to city as expansions come out - some have gotten more likely, some have down/up and then reversed.

Case in point:
(Figures pulled from stats previously shared: EH Encounter Stats (base, all in), EH Encounter Stats (FL added))
Arkham: chance of getting an incantation spell
Base: 63%.
Base + FL: 75%
Base + FL + MoM: 70%

Sydney: chance of improving strength
Base Game: 63%
Base + FL: 56%
Base + FL + MoM: 50%

Shanghai: chance of improving lore
Base Game: 63%
Base + FL: 56%
Base + FL + MoM: 55%

Note: these should be viewed as lower bounds as I'm only excluding general cases that could be used to get the desired item (e.g. card states "improve any skill").

Both MoM and SR add four additional cards per region. Looking at the MoM cards, each location got one or two cards that provided the city specific bonus. Now long term this lower probability will start to bring things down to the 25-50% range, however first you have to grow large enough to overcome the baseline established by the 16 cards that came with Base + FL. And who knows, they may release an expansion granting 8 cards to each location with stats closer to the original base game only baseline.

In short, I'm not going to be worried. After all, these are just expectations and one things for certain - expect the unexpected in EH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the city encounters still give rewards in line with their stated most likely reward, even if it's not exactly what the stated reward is.

For example, Sydney (base + FL) cards only improve your strength 56% of the time, but 31% of the Sydney cards give you a weapon asset. 75% of Arkham cards give you an incantation spell, but another 13% give you a random spell. Also, the second most common reward for most cities that improve a skill is "improve any skill".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S
msg tools
mbmbmb
That is a great point! Just glancing at the new Shanghai cards, this holds up.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Out of the four new cards, the possible lore-related benefits are one lore improvement, two tomes and a glamour spell - all four benefits are good for spellcasters

Also worth noting something regarding the new Arkham and Buenos Aires cards:

They give either "non-Ritual" spells rather than Incantations (Arkham) or "non-Incantation" spells rather than Rituals (Buenos Aires)

Somewhat tangentially, I have divided up spells into separate decks by types, initially thinking of rolling a d6 to choose the deck when picking a random spell, but it's worth noting that there are half as many Glamours (16) as Rituals (32) or Incantations (32). So the dice-ranges if you want to keep the smaller odds of getting a Glamour would be something like:

1-2 - Ritual
3-4 - Incantation
5 - Glamour
6 - Reroll

Or on a d10:

1-4 - Ritual
5-8 - Incantation
9-10 - Glamour

And for random "non-Incantation":

1-4 - Ritual
5-6 - Glamour

For random "non-Ritual":

1-4 - Incantation
5-6 - Glamour

Hopefully the proportions stay relatively easy to divvy up like this or I'll have to go back to using a single oversized deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The numbers get a bit skewed once cards start getting drawn from the spell decks, but I don't think it's enough to matter. That's a good idea and I'll probably be using it in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theodore Thompson
United States
Elko
NV
flag msg tools
Richard Little is spot on with this appraisal of the Big City cards. Those numbers show a declining return, started with MoM but in SR, it goes down even further. I ran the numbers on Shanghai in a different forums and you drop to 68% with all expansions in, for getting what the city is known for. That is a 20% drop from original game. I am finding that there is less satisfaction in my games (more like disappointment which occurs more than usual) because everything seems to be more random than before. This makes it hard to make strategy, when all your strategy is based on random luck. I find these recent design decisions taking away from the core game which made it so much fun. Lily Chen is no longer viable in most the games I've played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S
msg tools
mbmbmb
Zuxius wrote:
Richard Little is spot on with this appraisal of the Big City cards. Those numbers show a declining return, started with MoM but in SR, it goes down even further. I ran the numbers on Shanghai in a different forums and you drop to 68% with all expansions in, for getting what the city is known for. That is a 20% drop from original game. I am finding that there is less satisfaction in my games (more like disappointment which occurs more than usual) because everything seems to be more random than before. This makes it hard to make strategy, when all your strategy is based on random luck. I find these recent design decisions taking away from the core game which made it so much fun. Lily Chen is no longer viable in most the games I've played.

As has been noted, named city encounters still stick with a theme for the majority of encounters even if they don't give a stat increase. Going to Sydney is very likely to make you better at killing monsters through weapons or strength increases, Shanghai is very likely to make you a better spellcaster through tomes and lore increases. It seems to me that this unreliability is only an issue for Lily Chen in particular, if one is only aiming to get her stat increases as quickly as possible.

I should note that I've had plenty of success with Lily in spite of this. Just don't rely on stat buffs. With a good weapon, she is already a better monster killer than almost anyone in the game.

Besides, 68% odds isn't bad. That's something like a 90% chance for the 'known for' encounter if you stay at a location for two turns. And in the meantime, you still have good odds of getting the benefit (slightly more than 2/3) and even better odds of getting something else helpful. A blessing or a free weapon is nothing to be sneezed at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.