Flabbergasted Rhino
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
badge
Get Schwifty
mbmbmbmbmb
So my week is done and I am here to invite you to meet Mo. I know Mo through the One Player Guild. He was one of the first to welcome me in and is one of the kindest and friendly guys I have ever met on BGG. Enough of me, go meet Mo!

Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb

Grrrr, give me a bit to figure out how to make the poll for two truths one lie!
Poll
Can you spot the lie?
While working at a bookstore, I once sold $1000.00 worth of audio books to actor Burt Reynolds.
While a few friends and I were visiting Pittsburgh one Spring, I tried out for singing the National Anthem at one of the games.
While at a Faith No More concert, I climbed up on stage as part of a mosh pit that ended the gig.
      122 answers
Poll created by Flabbergasted

mo7189 wrote:
Hello, All!

First, thank you so much to Rhino for this honor. Truly, I don't believe I should be here amongst all the great gamers and contributors that have come before me. I've never been one of the cool kids. And I never will. But I am honored to be included in the GotW gang.

I would be surprised if too many of you know me. Generally, I'm a quiet person in the "real" world, keeping to myself much of the time. And I bring that personality to the Geek as well. Plus, coincidentally, I just changed my avatar this weekend, so folks who do know me, may not even recognize me!

I found this hobby late in 2010 through my iPod and the Carcassonne app. (Wow! Has it been almost five years already?!) From there, it wasn't long before I bought the physical version, found Boardgame Geek, and down the rabbit hole I went.

Early on, I tried to get my family involved in hobby games, but I soon realized my passion (and obsession) was too much for them to follow. I began to look for other options within the hobby and came across two solitaire games that have since guided my BGG life: Onirim and Friday. Growing up, I was into puzzles and word games and some forms of Patience games, so I was no stranger to solo gaming.

But those two games opened up the game world that I now live in. I can be found here on the Geek almost exclusively in the solo gamer circles: the 1 Player guild, Solitaire Games on your Table (currently August), and the annual Solitaire Print and Play Contest. But I do occasionally pop into the Guilds of a couple of the podcasts I listen to on my long, daily commute.

I'm most comfortable hanging out with the solo gamers I've come to know over the years. The community is so fun, friendly, and welcoming. I've made several good friends because of this, and I am truly grateful for these relationships in my life (and not just gaming). I have no other social media accounts beyond BGG. The solo gamer community here is where my internet life begins and ends. And I wouldn't want it any other way.

Thanks again to Rhino. (Have safe travels home, my friend!) And if anyone has any questions for me, I'll do my best to answer.

Mo

I've a couple starting questions for ya Mo,

1. I know you play a load of stuff solo as I do and I'd like to hear about your top three and what earns them the spot?

2. Trying to get this all typed up with limited internet from Gencon I'd like to know if you've ever made it out to a Con of any sort?

3. When it comes to dessert would you go for the cake or the pie?

4. Being on holiday myself I'd like to know what you idea of a great vacation is?

Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Mo, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not the only Euro Guy
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
I secretly play games multiplayer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Mo. Enjoy the week. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Questions:

1. Whats your greatest achievement in life other than your kids?

2. Whats your best PnP game?

3. What one person from history would you like to meet?

4. Violin, watermelon or ladder? Which one would you jump off a sinking ship with and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Mo!
Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Mo! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
looks like the poll wasn't setup as pick one but pick any number you want I voted for all 3 so no matter which one is the lie I picked it
Flabbergasted wrote:
Poll
Can you spot the lie?
While working at a bookstore, I once sold $1000.00 worth of audio books to actor Burt Reynolds.
While a few friends and I were visiting Pittsburgh one Spring, I tried out for singing the National Anthem at one of the games.
While at a Faith No More concert, I climbed up on stage as part of a mosh pit that ended the gig.
      122 answers
Poll created by Flabbergasted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Tom
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

1 What type of food do you enjoy the most?
2 Is there a country you think produces the best food?
3 What do you eat when gaming?
4 Is there any food you enjoy, that most people don't like?
5 And finally...is there anything you can recommend to us? Perhaps an interesting recipe, or something unique to your country?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
Spin Termite
badge
When I'm not looking, my games play each other!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wowee! A big, hearty congratulations to you, Mo. This is quite the honor and quite awesome!

I know that you are a big Phillies fan, so I thought I'd ask you some sports-related questions. They are a type of game after all.

d10-1 Besides baseball, what other sports do you follow?

d10-2 Have you ever been to a special game, or sporting event?

d10-3 Do you prefer watching live games or games on TV?

d10-4 Do you have a sports guilty pleasure?

d10-5 What is your favorite sports-related moment?

d10-6 Do you have anything in your sports fandom that makes you embarrassed?

d10-7 Do you play any sports, or have you ever?

I think that's it. Have a great week, you deserve it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valencia Victorious Von Verrata is the
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Cursed be and eternally damned those who would steal the games of the wizardinwhite
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, congratulations for this high and coveted honour, literally for the people and by the people. You clearly deserve to have your good works recognized!

My Questions:

What is your favourite competitive game to play? Cooperative?
What is your favourite game to play with your significant other (if single, closest boardgaming friend)?
Which comic book character do you most feel you have in common with and why (this can be heroes, villains, anti-heroes. I relate to two anti-heroes: Emma Frost and Magneto, for example.)?
If money/shipping/reciprocation were no issue, which boardgame (non-war) would you like to win in one of the many boardgame giveaway contests/events?
What is the one boardgame you could never part with?
What is your favourite game to play with 6+ (please, no party games like Taboo/Qwirkle) players?

Thank you for your time and consideration!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry that I'm a tad late to the party. It's my anniversary today (18 years!), and I didn't have a chance for some computer time until now.

One more thank you to Rhino for bestowing this honor upon me. I am humbled by his gesture, and I look forward to my week in the spotlight.

Thanks a ton to Nicola, Doug, and Jarek for the congrats. I appreciate it.

And with that, let's get to some questions:

Flabbergasted wrote:
I've a couple starting questions for ya Mo,

1. I know you play a load of stuff solo as I do and I'd like to hear about your top three and what earns them the spot?

At the moment, I'd say:

d10-1 Friday - small box, small price, lots of challenge, deckbuilding for 1P only, adjustable difficulty where each one feels little different. I've played it over 100 times. I guess it has to be my #1.

d10-2 Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game - again...small box, small price, lots of challenge. Love the Aliens-like theme. Has the most evil die in any game known to mankind.

d10-3 Gears of War: The Board Game - wow, what a game! Great components. Excellent AI system. Co-op gameplay. I've never played the video game and know nothing of its story, but this is still an awesome gaming experience.

Flabbergasted wrote:
2. Trying to get this all typed up with limited internet from Gencon I'd like to know if you've ever made it out to a Con of any sort?

Out? No.

Any sort? Yes.
MoCon 2013 (or My Solo Pseudo GenCon)
MoCon, Spring Edition, 2014 (A Convention of One)

Flabbergasted wrote:
3. When it comes to dessert would you go for the cake or the pie?

Oh, pie, without question.

Flabbergasted wrote:
4. Being on holiday myself I'd like to know what you idea of a great vacation is?

Hm. I was in Bermuda once as part of cruise. I was only there for one day but really liked what I saw. Would love to go back for an extended vacation at some point.

Flabbergasted wrote:
Have a great week!

Thanks, Rhino! I definitely will...assuming I can keep up with my replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
garyrbrooks wrote:
Congrats Mo. Enjoy the week. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Thank you so much, Gary. modest

garyrbrooks wrote:
Questions:

1. Whats your greatest achievement in life other than your kids?

Not scaring my wife away after 18 years of marriage.

garyrbrooks wrote:
2. Whats your best PnP game?

My favorite PnP game is Cine-vilzation. The combination of theme (running a movie studio) and interconnecting mechanisms is right up my alley. Love it!

garyrbrooks wrote:
3. What one person from history would you like to meet?

Frank Sinatra. While not an "important" figure in history, he sure looked like he had a good time.

Plus, I'm a fan of his music.

garyrbrooks wrote:
4. Violin, watermelon or ladder? Which one would you jump off a sinking ship with and why?

Absolutely watermelon. Gotta eat!! Especially since it's my last meal...I don't swim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
looks like the poll wasn't setup as pick one but pick any number you want I voted for all 3 so no matter which one is the lie I picked it

Now, I don't have to tell you the answer either sine you know you got it right. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
TomTi89 wrote:
Congrats!

Thanks a bunch, Thomas!

TomTi89 wrote:
1 What type of food do you enjoy the most?

Toss up between cheeseburgers and pizza. Yum!

TomTi89 wrote:
2 Is there a country you think produces the best food?

Well, I'm half Italian so...there ya go.

TomTi89 wrote:
3 What do you eat when gaming?

Not much usually. It's one of the few things I do to pass the time that doesn't involve food. But probably pretzels, if I'm feeling munchie.

TomTi89 wrote:
4 Is there any food you enjoy, that most people don't like?

Scrapple

Yeah, don't go look it up. It's gross.

But oh so good.

TomTi89 wrote:
5 And finally...is there anything you can recommend to us? Perhaps an interesting recipe, or something unique to your country?

See one question above...it's a Philly thing.

Or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul cleveland
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato
badge
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. " -Unknown author ?
mbmbmbmbmb

Congratulations Mo. Enjoy your week.thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
Malaiser wrote:
Wowee! A big, hearty congratulations to you, Mo. This is quite the honor and quite awesome!

Thanks, Ryan. I appreciate it.

Malaiser wrote:
I know that you are a big Phillies fan, so I thought I'd ask you some sports-related questions. They are a type of game after all.

d10-1 Besides baseball, what other sports do you follow?

Tennis is my other sport. I've been watching and playing since I was in middle school.

Malaiser wrote:
d10-2 Have you ever been to a special game, or sporting event?

I went to one of the playoff games when the Phillies were headed to the World Series in 2008. That was amazing. So much excitement!

Malaiser wrote:
d10-3 Do you prefer watching live games or games on TV?

Nothing beats going to the ballpark to watch a game in person. The smell of the grass. The sunshine. The food. A cold beer. Just a great way to spend a few hours.

Malaiser wrote:
d10-4 Do you have a sports guilty pleasure?

Hmmm...I don't know. I like watching Curling. Does that count?

Malaiser wrote:
d10-5 What is your favorite sports-related moment?

The Phillies winning the Series in '08. I was 9 when they won in 1980, so I sort of remember it, but it's hard to tell if I'm just remembering all the years of seeing and hearing highlights. But the most recent one I know I remember.

Malaiser wrote:
d10-6 Do you have anything in your sports fandom that makes you embarrassed?

How about ashamed? I was at the game when Kevin Millwood pitched a no hitter. I was there in person to witness history!!

Except we left in the middle of the seventh inning. My oldest daughter was only 3 and half at the time. It was hot, and she had enough for the day. I didn't even realize he hadn't given up any hits until we got to the car.

I'm so ashamed!!! cry

Malaiser wrote:
d10-7 Do you play any sports, or have you ever?

In terms of organized sports, I played one year of football in middle school. Didn't have the aggression for it. And I was on the high school tennis team for two years.

I still play tennis now...although not as often as I'd like.

Malaiser wrote:
I think that's it. Have a great week, you deserve it!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
wizardinwhite wrote:
First of all, congratulations for this high and coveted honour, literally for the people and by the people. You clearly deserve to have your good works recognized!

Thanks, Wiz!

wizardinwhite wrote:
My Questions:

What is your favourite competitive game to play? Cooperative?

When playing solo, I'd say Gears of War: The Board Game. Awesome game!

wizardinwhite wrote:
What is your favourite game to play with your significant other (if single, closest boardgaming friend)?

Gaming is not my wife's thing, so I'll tell you my favorite to play with my youngest daughter...Flash Point: Fire Rescue. We normally control two firefighters each and have a great time doing so.

wizardinwhite wrote:
Which comic book character do you most feel you have in common with and why (this can be heroes, villains, anti-heroes. I relate to two anti-heroes: Emma Frost and Magneto, for example.)?

I've never been a comic book guy, so I'll go with Cookie Monster instead. I LOVE me some cookies!!! mb

wizardinwhite wrote:
If money/shipping/reciprocation were no issue, which boardgame (non-war) would you like to win in one of the many boardgame giveaway contests/events?

Magic Realm - sounds like such a cool game that's been out of print forever.

wizardinwhite wrote:
What is the one boardgame you could never part with?

Probably Carcassonne. It was the game that got me into the hobby, so it's got a very sentimental spot in my gaming life.

wizardinwhite wrote:
What is your favourite game to play with 6+ (please, no party games like Taboo/Qwirkle) players?

Well, in case you didn't notice, I own all of these microbadges:

mb mb mb mb mb mb

So playing games with more than my family of four isn't something I have experience with. I do like 7 Wonders a lot. I've never played it with more than five though.

wizardinwhite wrote:
Thank you for your time and consideration!

You're welcome. And thank you for yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
cmmdre wrote:

Congratulations Mo. Enjoy your week.thumbsup

Thanks, Paul. I hope you have an awesome week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

What is your favorite board game mechanic and least favorite one and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
Congrats!

Thanks, Ronnie!

I might have to say deckbuilding for both, actually. laugh

I really enjoy deckbuilding within the game, such as Friday, Core Worlds, Legendary, etc. I like the aspect of starting small and creating a strong working engine.

But I've come to realize over time, that I do not enjoy deckbuilding in the CCG sense of the word. Games where I have to create a deck prior to playing the game generally do not interest me, like Lord of the Rings LCG. I do not get any enjoyment from creating the deck, trying it out, tweak it, try it again, and so on. Just not my thing.

And I appreciate you stopping by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
mo7189 wrote:
Redward wrote:
Congrats!

Thanks, Ronnie!

I really enjoy deckbuilding within the game, such as Friday, Core Worlds, Legendary, etc. I like the aspect of starting small and creating a strong working engine.

But I've come to realize over time, that I do not enjoy deckbuilding in the CCG sense of the word. Games where I have to create a deck prior to playing the game generally do not interest me, like Lord of the Rings LCG. I do not get any enjoyment from creating the deck, trying it out, tweak it, try it again, and so on. Just not my thing.

Nice ones.

I am a bit tired of deckbuilding during the game if that is the main game mechanic and hate CCG deck building but have realized that I really like hand building in games (Lewis and Clark, Rococo) or deckbuilding as a secondary mechanic (Hyperborea).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
513!

Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Mo!

I'll throw some questions at you later if I think of a few good ones...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Davies
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
Y Ddraig Goch Ddyry Gychwyn.
badge
Let the count down to UKGE begin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Mo. I didn't even look at this weeks GotW until someone else mentioned it in a non 1 player guild post that I wasn't going to read at first.

My Question: You've created a few solo variants to games but have you ever thought about designing a game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
mo7189 wrote:
Redward wrote:
Congrats!

Thanks, Ronnie!

Nice ones.

I am a bit tired of deckbuilding during the game if that is the main game mechanic and hate CCG deck building but have realized that I really like hand building in games (Lewis and Clark, Rococo) or deckbuilding as a secondary mechanic (Hyperborea).

As it seems so prevalent, I'm not surprised to hear folks tire of the deckbuilding mechanism. But for now, I'm still on board.

As a close second, I'd say tile laying is pretty sweet - Carcassonne, Micropul, Limes. I really like that as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to Octavian and Kyle for the well wishes!! Much appreciated.

ian_07720169619 wrote:
Congrats Mo. I didn't even look at this weeks GotW until someone else mentioned it in a non 1 player guild post that I wasn't going to read at first.

My Question: You've created a few solo variants to games but have you ever thought about designing a game?

Hi, Ian. Sure, I've thought about it. I would assume the majority of gamers have. I have a few ideas floating around, but from my playtesting of several PnP games over the years, I know how much work and time and energy is involved to bring a solid game into the hobby. Thus far, I just haven't had that much time to put into any of them.

With that being said, I cannot confirm nor deny that a project is being worked on with some help from a fellow solo gamer.

So, maybe someday down the line.

And thanks for the question, Ian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.