Popular Tags: [View All]
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep hearing all this cool news about X-Wing from GenCon and seeing all these cool pictures of upcoming expansions and things, but nothing about Attack Wing. Is Wizkids even showing the game this year? I know they have a couple new heroclix sets coming out and the recent Ninja Turtles announcements, but I expected at least something Attack Wing related to be announced. Maybe some pics of the upcoming Xindi ships or an announcement of what is going to be in that new tournament blind booster brick.

Kind of sad and disappointed about it so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I understand, they didn't have much of a presence at GenCon since they made Origins their main show this year. They were running events but that was about it. No booth to display anything from any of their games. A little disappointing but not unexpected. Think they commented to that effect somewhere not too long ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Winterbourne
United Kingdom
Castleford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't it be great if they decided to make a new series based after the events of DS9 not only would that be awesome but it would inspire loads of new video games and content for tabletop and give Star Trek a much needed boost. Such a lucrative franchise I can't believe they don't want to revisit it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Wizkids had a good sized tournament presence. Essentially the same as last year. STAW tourneys were run really well with some ridiculous prize support. In an 8 seat tournament (Swiss pairings):

1xWave16 Random for playing
1xWave17 Random for top 4
All of wave 16 for top 2
All of wave 17 for 1st.

Two minor bits of news:
-This retail K'tinga has the corrected bridge for all the anal-retentive players who didn't fix their Kronos Ones.
-The Valdore model has been updated and looks a lot better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
USeagull wrote:
Wouldn't it be great if they decided to make a new series based after the events of DS9 not only would that be awesome but it would inspire loads of new video games and content for tabletop and give Star Trek a much needed boost. Such a lucrative franchise I can't believe they don't want to revisit it

I kind of like the series idea that "Tuvok", Tim Russ, pitched a while back. It was new and interesting. Some of the acting and effects in the trailer for the pilot were bad, but that is why they have those lower budget pitches like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Church14 wrote:

Two minor bits of news:
-This retail K'tinga has the corrected bridge for all the anal-retentive players who didn't fix their Kronos Ones.

The K'Tinga model was fixed last time they released one. They started using the actual K'Tinga model from Heroclix instead of the cloaked version that had the bridge on sideways and was missing the torpedo launcher.

Agreed on the Valdore. I love the new model and it is still a bit different than the cloaked version from the set from last years GenCon so now there are technically 3 models.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
USeagull wrote:

Well, they are currently on set filming the third installment of the Star Trek reboot. I've heard it said that they don't actually have a finished script yet, but they're filming it.

I think they're definitely revisiting a lucrative franchise. Whether or not they're doing it well is open for debate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Illyth wrote:
USeagull wrote:

Well, they are currently on set filming the third installment of the Star Trek reboot. I've heard it said that they don't actually have a finished script yet, but they're filming it.

I think they're definitely revisiting a lucrative franchise. Whether or not they're doing it well is open for debate.

Yes, but the real meat of the franchise has always been an active series. The movies were like a treat or desert after the main course. Right now we're getting ok movies (they are somewhat entertaining if nothing else) but there is still no active series that is pulling the weight. There are several entertaining fan made ones currently, but the show really needs to be professionally done to get the ball rolling again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Even at Origins, there was really no NEWS perse, just the next couple of waves inside a display case in the tournament area. Nothing in the dealer room, nothing to sell, no other dealers stocking STAW stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Even at Origins, there was really no NEWS perse, just the next couple of waves inside a display case in the tournament area

Usually, that's the extent of the "news" that comes out of these, since we know what's IN the waves well in advance for the most part. Just seeing the new upcoming models for the first time is pretty cool, especially when they let us have a peek at the stats (like they did at SDCC).

But since they had no booth there was no place to do a display...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
Church14 wrote:

Two minor bits of news:

The K'Tinga model was fixed last time they released one. They started using the actual K'Tinga model from Heroclix instead of the cloaked version that had the bridge on sideways and was missing the torpedo launcher.

Agreed on the Valdore. I love the new model and it is still a bit different than the cloaked version from the set from last years GenCon so now there are technically 3 models.

Is the new Valdore smaller?

Only thing that kinda bugs me about the current model - it's just so preposterously bigger than any other mini in the game for some reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pitner
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The news was that it was fairly civilized getting into the Exhibit hall each morning when the doors opened. There were some quite fast walkers, but at least the doors I was I didn't see any runners or pushers. Yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Church14 wrote:
Wizkids had a good sized tournament presence. Essentially the same as last year. STAW tourneys were run really well with some ridiculous prize support. In an 8 seat tournament (Swiss pairings):

Was this an event officially run by WizKids, or was this an event run by an independent player / player group?

I did not see any WizKids presence at Gencon this year. I walked what I believed was the entirety of the dealer hall over the three days, but never saw a WizKids booth. And the space that WizKids typically had for games in the main hall had been taken over by FFG as their table space ever expands to accomodate their growing line of competitive games, each of which featured 100-200 players.

I took this to mean WizKids had officially withdrawn from Gencon, which after last year is not surprising. Whether it was Gencon's decision or WizKids' decision for WK to not return, it's presumably related to all of the controversies regarding WizKids management (or lack thereof) of their lines and booth last year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They were there but not in the dealer hall. They ran events for STAW, D&D, et al. The early wave 17 stuff was one of the prizes for STAW events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sten
United States
New York
flag msg tools
yourmonkey06 wrote:
They were there but not in the dealer hall. They ran events for STAW, D&D, et al. The early wave 17 stuff was one of the prizes for STAW events.

Did you participate? How was the scene? What fleets did well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know a guy who runs a gaming store in Delaware that was running events at GenCon. It is entirely possible that all the WK events being held there were similarly run by specific individuals and not by WK themselves.

It just really sucks as I was looking forward to seeing some Xindi stuff and possibly finding out what is in those new 10 ship blind booster packs that are coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yourmonkey06 wrote:

Must have been relatively small events. It was hard to miss their signs and giant mass of tables (used almost exclusively for HeroClix tournaments) in years past, but I didn't see anything comparable this year. I certainly didn't miss them and their chaotic lines of eager HC players in the main gaming hall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pitner
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They were in Hall B, and they had 103 events across their different lines (HC, Dice Masters, Attack Wing, etc) I did see one of the WizKids guys that I saw in the exhibit hall last year (saw him wandering the 2nd floor). So there was definitely some of them there, but I was completely ok with them not on the exhibit hall floor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mike_sten wrote:
yourmonkey06 wrote:

Did you participate? How was the scene? What fleets did well?

Sadly, I was not able to attend. I'm only relaying what others have told me/what has been posted online. Would have liked to be there to win some wave 17 though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.