GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,241 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

WWE Superstar Showdown» Forums » Variants

Subject: NO first turn finishers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing a bit, a buddy of mine figured out a great variant to fix the problem of being able to do finishers out of the gate.

At the beginning of the game, put all finishers into your discard pile.

This works on 3 levels
No finishers on the first turn.
You can't loose the finishers, for the game, early in the match
And it also works as a small catch up mechanic, as if you are getting beat down you get to shuffle before your opponent.

A few games later, this just works great, we'll never not do this.

(worth noting you can only shuffle them into your deck on a regular reshuffle, not a roll out of the ring)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
You can't loose for the game early in the match

But, but, squash matches. No more Goldberg cry !

j/k laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
You can't loose for the game early in the match

But, but, squash matches. No more Goldberg :cry: !

j/k :laugh:

I mean loosing your finisher to your opponents stack. there will be no squash matches. Infact I think it's a little too easy to kick out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
The word you're (and many people on the internet these days) looking for is: losing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea. If I understand your variant correctly, you start the game with your finishers in their own discard pile. Once I'm forced to reshuffle my deck because I need to draw (or discard) additional cards, I bring those finishers back into the deck.

However, if I reshuffle my deck because I started my turn outside the ring, I don't get to include the finishers.

Here is my question, the "Catching Your Breath" rule reads...
If your Active Superstar is outside the ropes at the start of a new Game Round, shuffle your discard pile back into your Superstar deck before drawing cards.

Do you ignore that rule, perhaps by making it "you may shuffle"?

I ask because it seems like I could "prevent" my opponent from drawing his finishers by throwing him out of the ring.

I understand that the intent of the rule is to prevent first turn "run outside of the ring and shuffle my finishers in", but how do you handle this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joetaco wrote:
Interesting idea. If I understand your variant correctly, you start the game with your finishers in their own discard pile. Once I'm forced to reshuffle my deck because I need to draw (or discard) additional cards, I bring those finishers back into the deck.

However, if I reshuffle my deck because I started my turn outside the ring, I don't get to include the finishers.

Here is my question, the "Catching Your Breath" rule reads...
If your Active Superstar is outside the ropes at the start of a new Game Round, shuffle your discard pile back into your Superstar deck before drawing cards.

Do you ignore that rule, perhaps by making it "you may shuffle"?

I ask because it seems like I could "prevent" my opponent from drawing his finishers by throwing him out of the ring.

I understand that the intent of the rule is to prevent first turn "run outside of the ring and shuffle my finishers in", but how do you handle this?

Yes we changed it to may. Thanks for trying our variant out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.