Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Auer
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Morning,

I love playing boardgames with my wife and Have a rather nice collection of different games. However, I'm still missing a proper wargame and would really like to get one. Unfortunately, my wife isn't into the idea at all, so I have to get something with a good solo play option. The last few weeks I spend quite a bit of time looking at reviews and all the different games available.

Games like Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition) look great, but I don't like the setting. I would rather prefer a Nautical setting, especially during WWII.

There a two games which sound interesting: Empire of the Sun and Fleet Commander: Nimitz. Having read the rules of Nimitz, I'm not sure if I would actually enjoy it. There seems to be a lot of dice rolling. I usually prefer games like Mage Knight Board Game, Twilight Struggle and Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island. Basically, I like card driven games and EofS seems to be just perfect for me. It's a hex and counter game, has a beautiful map and can be played solo.

But - I watched the solo walkthrough from the designer and have to admit that it looked very complicated. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with complicated games and really enjoy reading rules. I'm just worried that this game might be a bit too complicated for a wargame beginner.

What do you think? Just I rather go with something simpler like Fleet Commander: Nimitz or just I right jump to EotS. I really like the look of Empire, it seems just what I'm looking for.

Wish you all a nice Sunday and thank you for reading my post.

Best regards from Bavaria
Marco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mauer wrote:
Good Morning,

I love playing boardgames with my wife and Have a rather nice collection of different games. However, I'm still missing a proper wargame and would really like to get one. Unfortunately, my wife isn't into the idea at all, so I have to get something with a good solo play option. The last few weeks I spend quite a bit of time looking at reviews and all the different games available.

Games like Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition) look great, but I don't like the setting. I would rather prefer a Nautical setting, especially during WWII.

There a two games which sound interesting: Empire of the Sun and Fleet Commander: Nimitz. Having read the rules of Nimitz, I'm not sure if I would actually enjoy it. There seems to be a lot of dice rolling. I usually prefer games like Mage Knight Board Game, Twilight Struggle and Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island. Basically, I like card driven games and EofS seems to be just perfect for me. It's a hex and counter game, has a beautiful map and can be played solo.

But - I watched the solo walkthrough from the designer and have to admit that it looked very complicated. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with complicated games and really enjoy reading rules. I'm just worried that this game might be a bit too complicated for a wargame beginner.

What do you think? Just I rather go with something simpler like Fleet Commander: Nimitz or just I right jump to EotS. I really like the look of Empire, it seems just what I'm looking for.

Marco

I would advise that you first download the EotS rules and vassal files to see if the design is to your liking before buying a copy.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steidl
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Marco,

Empire of the Sun has mechanics that are quite different from a typical wargame, so even experienced wargamers have a learning curve. It does require an investment of time to get to a point where you can feel competent with it, so it is definitely not the game for someone who wants to be able to jump in quickly.

That said, it's also at the top of my desert island list and probably my favorite game of all time. The Vassal module is excellent, so you can absolutely try before you buy. (It's always nice to hear the designer recommend that.) It's also really helpful to play the first time with an experienced player if you can find one.

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mauer wrote:
Good Morning,

Marco

Also, go to youtube and watch the videos. I did several and John has created an extensive tutorial library on how to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steidl
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A quick thought on Empire of the Sun vs. Robinson Crusoe. (What, is he crazy?)

On the surface these two games have almost nothing in common. But, in fact, they are both very much about managing multiple, constrained resources (okay - so are lots of games, although wargames to a much lesser degree than your typical Euro.)

Add to that, they are both very much about managing risk. The cards and dice introduce a probability calculus in both games that frequently leaves the player faced with the choice of whether to go down a path with a high-probability, middle-of-the road outcome, vs. a different path that has more extreme outcomes on both sides of the distribution.

Personally, I happen to love the combination of these two elements. Robinson Crusoe and Empire of the Sun have both, with well-designed mechanics in an elegant thematic package. So although they are very different, I think someone who (1) really enjoys Robinson Crusoe, (2) is interested in the WW2 Pacific Theater, and (3) doesn't mind investing time in a thinking game, will likely find EotS appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Radic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Empire of the Sun - Voyage of the Beagle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Auer
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for all your replies. I will start reading the rules tomorrow and I will also have a look at the EotS Basic videos provided by John.

I really liked the comparison of EotS with Robinson Crusoe. This is one of my favourite games. I like games where I can sit down and really have to think about my next move. From what I have read and seen about EotS it just seems to hit the spot.

I already decided not to buy Fleet Commander: Nimitz, because I don't think that I would enjoy it. There is just far too much dice rolling and I got some rather bad reviews. EotS on the other side, good some excellent reviews and the second edition includes solo rules as well as a mounted board. What else can you ask for :-)

The game seems to be far mor popular than I thought, because it's really difficult to find a copy here in Europe. Luckily I found a shop in Belgium which will receive a couple of copies next week. So I just preordered it. It's always easier to learn a game by actually having it in front of you.

Again - many thanks for your input.

Marco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mauer wrote:
Many thanks for all your replies. I will start reading the rules tomorrow and I will also have a look at the EotS Basic videos provided by John.

I really liked the comparison of EotS with Robinson Crusoe. This is one of my favourite games. I like games where I can sit down and really have to think about my next move. From what I have read and seen about EotS it just seems to hit the spot.

I already decided not to buy Fleet Commander: Nimitz, because I don't think that I would enjoy it. There is just far too much dice rolling and I got some rather bad reviews. EotS on the other side, good some excellent reviews and the second edition includes solo rules as well as a mounted board. What else can you ask for :-)

The game seems to be far mor popular than I thought, because it's really difficult to find a copy here in Europe. Luckily I found a shop in Belgium which will receive a couple of copies next week. So I just preordered it. It's always easier to learn a game by actually having it in front of you.

Again - many thanks for your input.

Marco

Thanks for taking the plunge. If you have any problems reach out to the vets here and we will lend a hand. But I did warn you. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The game seems to be far mor popular than I thought, because it's really difficult to find a copy here in Europe

Its simpler than that . The second edition hasnt arrived in Europe yet but is imminent.

EOTS is a hard game to learn. But well worth it once you ve cracked the system. And once cracked runs smoothly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Radic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somehow french store Agorajeux had 8 copies week after EOTS is shipped in US,i had bought last copy from them.Yesterday i saw just one copy available and it was sold within few hours.
I had finished reading the rulebook,unique system indeed,can't say that is difficult,at least from my perspective,also videos are huge help in process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Auer
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got an email from the shop I ordered telling me that the game is on it's way :-)

I'm really excited to play a wargame (finally)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I am also going to take the plunge....I have watched the vids and figure that if I can play Navajo Wars and a couple of Eklund Games, then its worth a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Marco,

If you're new to wargame, you should also consider if you have a table where you can let the game for several days if you play the Empire of the sun campaign.
You talked about your wife by the way, mine could play it without readind the rules, but of course it means you have to know them very well and she should play the Allies.
I just played the first edition until now. I have the second one but I have not played it yet, neither solitaire.

Nimitz is well more simple, it has the feeling of the Pacific War but it's not a simulation. It is fun to play but you can't play the full war, you can just play one year, then the next, etc...

EoftS is well more accurate. Fun to play too but it takes well more time to learn the rules and to play the full campaign. If you don't have a place to let the game on the table for several days, I don't think it's a good choice. But if you have it and have time, it's a very great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.