GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,246 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Evolution» Forums » General

Subject: Gen Con 2015 - Preview of the second expansion: Climate rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't want to post this in the video section. Since there is no entry on BGG for it, I'll post it here in the general forum.

Here is my interview with North Star about the Climate expansion currently in development.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing this, can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Shepherd-Jones
United Kingdom
Walton on Thames
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
What interests me is the fourth trait per species! Will make things very different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting.

I think I like that the climate won't be all over the place, but will change a few degrees with food cards at the watering hole.

Still looking forward to Undersea the most though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excited for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoogChoo wrote:
What interests me is the fourth trait per species! Will make things very different.

Yes, Climate does make things very different, although I'd say that's mostly due to the Climate track and the related Trait cards.

The 4 trait limit means that players should be experienced with the base game, and the traits in it, before adding Climate. Otherwise play may bog down as players consider the much wider decision space, and track all the rival species out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, really like the idea of this one. Let's do this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
AndAgainMA wrote:
BoogChoo wrote:

Yes, Climate does make things very different, although I'd say that's mostly due to the Climate track and the related Trait cards.

The 4 trait limit means that players should be experienced with the base game, and the traits in it, before adding Climate. Otherwise play may bog down as players consider the much wider decision space, and track all the rival species out there.

One of the few people who can speak from personal experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You are a very quick poster, Joel Eddy (in addition to being a good interviewer)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
milomilo122 wrote:

You are a very quick poster, Joel Eddy (in addition to being a good interviewer)

All three of you - Nick, Joel, and the Climate expansion - came across very well. The video packs a lot of Climate content into a few minutes. I recommend watching it, even to people who (like me) don't watch many videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Webb
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndAgainMA wrote:
milomilo122 wrote:

All three of you - Nick, Joel, and the Climate expansion - came across very well. The video packs a lot of Climate content into a few minutes. I recommend watching it, even to people who (like me) don't watch many videos.

Agreed! Now I'm looking forward to backing the next expansion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
AndAgainMA wrote:
BoogChoo wrote:

One of the few people who can speak from personal experience!

And a very good experience it was too! I'll expand on that, but please bear in mind that the following is based on only one play of Evolution with Climate...

Climate is approachable, but complex. I arrived a little while before anyone else was ready to begin the playtest. So I had a few minutes to sit down with the Climate track and the new cards (no Climate rulebook at the time). It only took those few minutes to be able to get most of what Climate added. That's what I mean by Climate being approachable.

When I say that Climate is complex, I mean that my brain wanted to melt a few times once we started playing. That wasn't mainly because I had an extra (4th) Trait slot per species to manage. I felt I needed that extra slot to cope with the climate.

The complexity arose from trying to keep track of what the other players were up to. Each food card may influence the climate as well as the amount of plant food available. So I had to protect against the cold (many snowflakes were played in this particular game) as well as against starvation and against being eaten. (I succeeded most of the time, but that was only good enough for 3rd out of 4 players.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Climate expansion turns Evolution from a 2 dimensional game (thinking about Starvation and Carnivores) to a 3 dimensional game (Starvation, Carnivores, AND Climate). All three of these threats are serious and cannot be overlooked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
milomilo122 wrote:

Thank you sir. You presented very well especially given the craziness that is Gen Con. It helped a bit that I had just played Evolution a few times a week ago
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
The Climate expansion turns Evolution from a 2 dimensional game (thinking about Starvation and Carnivores) to a 3 dimensional game (Starvation, Carnivores, AND Climate). All three of these threats are serious and cannot be overlooked!

And this is what is making Evolution the best evolution themed board game out there. It's all about feeding and breeding, and Evolution does an excellent job capturing this. The impact of climate is only going to make for a deeper and richer experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.