GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,109 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
64 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: UK Maths Trade August 2015 Discussion Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb

This thread is for discussion of the UK Maths Trade August 2015. Please keep things friendly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be on vacation from the 13th until the end of month. I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to submit my wants before I go, but won't be able to ship until I return. Is it okay if I list my things with that disclaimer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

As long as you make it clear, I don't see that being a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hirsh
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know if this is a silly question or not, but I can't seem to find the August UK Math Trade on the olwlg homepage.

I've done plenty of these trades before and always use the online generator. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also not on the Trade and Auction List section of the front page. May make it difficult for newbies to find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Benson
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ben2000677 wrote:
Don't know if this is a silly question or not, but I can't seem to find the August UK Math Trade on the olwlg homepage.

It should appear at the following address http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/viewlist.cgi?listid=194588 (the listid on the OLWLG should be the same as the listid of the maths trade).

The OLWLG needs to be resynced by the maths trade organiser (or Jeff) before it will appear, so I suspect this has been missed, and it will appear in the fullness of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Jeff hasn't done his bit to make it appear yet. Usually it appears in less than 24 hours so I'm slightly concerned, but hopefully it'll appear soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parker McParker
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sharon,

I wonder if next time it's worth putting a new bullet point in the header. We have one that covers who should pay for postage:
- It is assumed that the sender will cover the cost of shipping...

I'd propose something similar for language dependence:
- It is assumed that any items offered will have English rules included and any language on the components will include English. Where that is not the case, the owner should make it clear in the listing.

Most people still include both of these in the listings, which is fine, but the addition of the first bullet point means I'm not bothered whether they say anything about postage or not. The addition of the second bullet point would mean I could be similarly blasé about listings that don't specifically mention the language of the edition. (And most of the stuff offered on the trades is the English edition anyway.)

Does that sound like a good idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Shepherd-Jones
United Kingdom
Walton on Thames
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
MLBath wrote:
Sharon,

I wonder if next time it's worth putting a new bullet point in the header. We have one that covers who should pay for postage:
- It is assumed that the sender will cover the cost of shipping...

I'd propose something similar for language dependence:
- It is assumed that any items offered will have English rules included and any language on the components will include English. Where that is not the case, the owner should make it clear in the listing.

Most people still include both of these in the listings, which is fine, but the addition of the first bullet point means I'm not bothered whether they say anything about postage or not. The addition of the second bullet point would mean I could be similarly blasé about listings that don't specifically mention the language of the edition. (And most of the stuff offered on the trades is the English edition anyway.)

Does that sound like a good idea?

I think this is a fantastic idea. meeple

Definite +1 from me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MLBath wrote:
- It is assumed that any items offered will have English rules included and any language on the components will include English.

A sound approach, but with one small niggle. In a simple game like Alhambra one might see some German nouns on tiles: "Turm", "Garten" etc. which are no more problematic than icons. I would never remember (nor want) to check whether any of many chits or cards in a game had non-English words on them if I were providing the English rules.

It would probably be better to use the BGG definition "no in-game language dependency" which, I think, excludes simple nouns and similar cases where the words are just labels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Shepherd-Jones
United Kingdom
Walton on Thames
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
To go on a tangent - I have a quandary:

I own King of Tokyo, Power up and Halloween expansions.

Do I list these as one big lot, or three separate, smaller lots?

Do you think there will be much demand for the expansions on their own?

Any advice is muchly appreciated! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always listed base game + expansion(s) because I don't want to be left with the expansion(s)!

But:

1) It can create a bundle of too big a value to be easy to trade
2) I think lots of folks see only the (value of) the base game and don't see the (value of) the expansion.

and I have failed to trade any such combos except where the 'expansion' has been of trivial value.

So, I have no advice: just experience and thoughts. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parker McParker
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoogChoo wrote:
To go on a tangent - I have a quandary:

I own King of Tokyo, Power up and Halloween expansions.

Do I list these as one big lot, or three separate, smaller lots?

Do you think there will be much demand for the expansions on their own?

Any advice is muchly appreciated! meeple

I'd do two lots. One of the expansions (plenty of people will just have the base game). One of the base game.

There is a chance you'll be left with just the expansions, but ebay or the next Maths Trade will take care of that, I would expect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kirkman
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
MLBath wrote:
- It is assumed that any items offered will have English rules included and any language on the components will include English.

A sound approach, but with one small niggle. In a simple game like Alhambra one might see some German nouns on tiles: "Turm", "Garten" etc. which are no more problematic than icons. I would never remember (nor want) to check whether any of many chits or cards in a game had non-English words on them if I were providing the English rules.

It would probably be better to use the BGG definition "no in-game language dependency" which, I think, excludes simple nouns and similar cases where the words are just labels.

I disagree with this, I think in this case it would be best to say its is the German edition with an English rule printout (specifically pointing out the language independence as you see fit). It may seem trivial but enough people and precious over having the "English" version, plus a printed-out rule book should definitely we mentioned in the listing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You miss my point: the version (language) of course has to be made explicit.

I would say (as I do) something like "German version with added professionally printed English full-colour rules on 120gsm silk stock, machine folded, centre stapled - as good as (if not better than) the original"

The point I'm making is that I'm not going to check whether every component does not have a single foreign word on it. If it is terribly important fro someone to know that not a single foreign word appears anywhere on a component then they can ask: I'd probably politely decline to check and accept the consequences of one fewer want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kirkman
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotcha... I think having to specify the language version and language dependence should be more than enough, and as you say if someone is overly bothered they can ask/check elsewhere if necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have indeed got me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Benson
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iain_benson wrote:
ben2000677 wrote:

It should appear at the following address http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/viewlist.cgi?listid=194588 (the listid on the OLWLG should be the same as the listid of the maths trade).

It's now appeared on the olwlg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hill
United Kingdom
Fareham
HAMPSHIRE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
Sorry, it’s probably obvious but I simply can’t remember it.

Last time I was part of a math trade I think I received a GM which contained a link and took me to a large list where I was able to add games I would be happy to receive as part of the trade, I assume this was then done by all participants to generate the list of trades?

Is it going to be the same for this one, if so should we expect the GM in a few days? I’m in no immediate rush, just wanted to make sure I didn’t miss out

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You want the OLWLG - bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg. The link is at the top of the geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hill
United Kingdom
Fareham
HAMPSHIRE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank You

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kirkman
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to try using checkboxmate or the vertical value tool when it comes to Stage 4 (having only just heard about them), but I can't get either of them to work. It seems that checkboxmate is out of date and doesn't work with firefox 39, and I can't find much info on how to go about using VV... Does anyone here use them? Any links to a (simple) explanation on how to go about doing so?
Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two observations:
Checkboxmate will NOT work if you have enabled the 'new style checkboxes'. OWLito also stops it working.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kirkman
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
Two observations:
Checkboxmate will NOT work if you have enabled the 'new style checkboxes'. OWLito also stops it working.

I don't use OWLito... and don't recall having enabled "new style checkboxes" how would I know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can check in your profile to see if it's ticked, or - if you see 'checkboxes' inside the 'squares' where columns and rows intersect you have not enabled them. If you see just the row and column borders (with no box inside) then you have enabled them.

You v=have to start the click+drag with the mouse pointer inside a checkbox, so it "catches". If you start too far outside the checkbox it doesn't register.

Other than that, not sure what to say
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.