Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Smith
United States
Great Barrington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With living doll's ability, is it just defensive, like you only use it as a reaction to an attack?
In that case does it get exhausted, or is it just an inherit ability so it doesn't exhaust the card?
Also, if i use the charm dice side action power to add an attack and life to living doll, does that mean she has 1 natural attack now, and is able to attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Fritz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless an ability specifically lists an exhaustion cost, it doesn't exhaust to use that ability.

Our read on living doll is that it can be used any time living doll takes damage for any reason. If you choose to counter attack with living doll, THAT would exhaust the card, but given the attack value is 0, you're typically not going to do that.

My son uses that card to great effect by blocking with it and also by redirecting damage done to his phoenixborn back to living doll to hurt me instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bruder

Mount Laurel
New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmb
Living Doll's ability can be used whenever it receives damage. (Remember it does not trigger from Molten Gold). It does not exhaust the card, but when the card is exhausted the ability cannot trigger. It is able to attack if you use the snake to give it +1 or any other alteration that would give it attack.

Also remember that there are ways that living doll can be exhausted other than attacking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Workman
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Raptork1d wrote:
Also, if i use the charm dice side action power to add an attack and life to living doll, does that mean she has 1 natural attack now, and is able to attack?

This reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask. Can I attack with a 0 attack value unit? Like if someone gives me a blood puppet could I swing it at them for 0 damage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Livesey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
nex2null wrote:
Raptork1d wrote:

This reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask. Can I attack with a 0 attack value unit? Like if someone gives me a blood puppet could I swing it at them for 0 damage?

Wow, I never thought of this. I too would like this clarifying - if you can attack with it then it gets an exhaustion and loses its ability. Surely, therefore, to keep the unit pertinent it can't attack with 0?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Workman
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
SashaNein wrote:
Wow, I never thought of this. I too would like this clarifying - if you can attack with it then it gets an exhaustion and loses its ability. Surely, therefore, to keep the unit pertinent it can't attack with 0?

Well not quite. The exhaustion token will be removed during recovery before the end of the round, so regardless it will be unexhausted when its ability would be relevant...but let's say I attack with it, and then add 2 exhaustion tokens to it with that card that lets you do that (can't remember name), now I've bought myself an extra turn of not worrying about the little bastard.

Just re-read the rulebook and nothing says you can't attack with something with no attack value. We've been playing it that way anyways, but clarification is always nice.

Edit: it would lose its self-inflict ability though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Livesey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
nex2null wrote:
SashaNein wrote:

Well not quite. The exhaustion token will be removed during recovery before the end of the round, so regardless it will be unexhausted when its ability would be relevant...but let's say I attack with it, and then add 2 exhaustion tokens to it with that card that lets you do that (can't remember name), now I've bought myself an extra turn of not worrying about the little bastard.

Just re-read the rulebook and nothing says you can't attack with something with no attack value. We've been playing it that way anyways, but clarification is always nice.

Good point - but yeah, you could use an attack to place one exhaustion then use another method to place a 2nd or more. Still would be nice to know! Also, can we counter with a 0-attack minion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SashaNein wrote:
nex2null wrote:
SashaNein wrote:

Good point - but yeah, you could use an attack to place one exhaustion then use another method to place a 2nd or more. Still would be nice to know! Also, can we counter with a 0-attack minion?

You can block. There's no reason to counter that i can think of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi C
msg tools
mbmb
As to can you attack with a 0 attack unit...
Yes I am nearly certain you can. Proving example:
Maeoni Viper has a 0 attack unit. She declares it as an attacker. She uses her PB ability to add 2 attack during declare attacker phase... Profit. (also her ready spell that can add 1 attack during declare attackers)

Aside- (Many of my rule interpretations/questions, I asked the lead playtester about, and every one of them was a correct interpretation on my part, so I feel confident about this one. Until/unless he chimes in to say otherwise...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What would lead you to think that you couldn't? There's nothing in the rules to indicate that an attack would have to deal damage to be declared. Attacking with a unit is the same, regardless of attack value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Dominguez
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
Insert funny comment here
badge
Do I look to be in a gaming mood?
mbmbmbmbmb
nex2null wrote:

My understanding is that once the Blood Puppet is in your battlefield he becomes a unit you control, who just happens to have a negative effect. Thus I used it as a blocker in order to get damage on it. During the same turn it was killed, and I then used the spell that summons Spiders to my battlefield when a unit I control is destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrazyHalicki wrote:
nex2null wrote:

My understanding is that once the Blood Puppet is in your battlefield he becomes a unit you control, who just happens to have a negative effect. Thus I used it as a blocker in order to get damage on it. During the same turn it was killed, and I then used the spell that summons Spiders to my battlefield when a unit I control is destroyed.

Yep, that's how it plays. It's unwise for a Jessa player to attack a pheonixborn directly you have puppets out. Your damage should come from curses and dolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.