Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Heenan
United States
Cincinnati
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've currently pre-ordered FoF. I've not played it previously, but I've read enough and watched enough to realize that it is likely something that I'll greatly enjoy.

Someone over on reddit's /r/soloboardgaming asked if it made sense to get both Vol I and II. It was shortly after that that I realized Vol. II is a stand alone game.

So... for someone like me and the guy on reddit, does it make sense to start with Vol I? Jump to Vol. II? I know some of you will say "Both!" but I'm just not terribly sure about getting two versions of a game that I think I'd like without having tried it out (my wallet is equally concerned). But for those of you who do want to say both, what differences between the two would make both justified?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Volume 2 will have some refinements to the system, urban terrain cards, and different campaigns. I'd say to buy both, but I love the system.

If I were going with just 1, I'd probably grab Vol 2, as it will most likely have more rules refinements made to it.

Also, there is a fantastic vassal module you can use to test out volume 1 if you want. It's really great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Killeen
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you only want one then you have to look at 2 things. Army or Marines or different actions covered in both games. It depends on what part of history you want to follow.

Myself, I was a member of the 9th Infantry Regiment. So if I were to go with one, the choice is obvious.

As for the rules, Vol 1 will have the second edition rules once it is republished. Those will be the same base rules set in both volumes. So don't base your buying decision on the rules alone.

I am buying both and donating my 1st edition FOF to the 9th Infantry Regiment Museum or the 2nd Infantry Division Museum once I have the second edition in hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franklin
msg tools
I'd also counsel to get on to VASSAL and try out Vol. I before doing anything. I was pre ordered for Vol. II but with the date constantly getting shifted back I've cancelled it. It's not like the rules as they stand are unworkable, they just need a healthy dose of common sense and house ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beorne
Italy
Forli'
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking that buying vol.I or vol.II will not be a problem. I'm seriously thinking it will NEVER be a problem ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.