Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't want to of this in the video section but there is no BGG entry for the card game as yet.

Here is my interview with one of the designers of the card game at Gen Con 2015.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am too impatient to watch videos. Does he say if he has played and if he enjoys the board game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He doesn't say. I guess that we'll have to wait until this game is released before we can get a fair estimation of how it compares to the Warhammer Quest board game.

I'd be surprised if many of the big game reviewers, who might receive preview copies, have much, if any experience with the Games Workshop classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KenToad wrote:
He doesn't say. I guess that we'll have to wait until this game is released before we can get a fair estimation of how it compares to the Warhammer Quest board game.

The (relatively few) comments that have been posted on this subject from people who are fans of the board game suggest that the answer is "very little in common".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KenToad wrote:

I'd be surprised if many of the big game reviewers, who might receive preview copies, have much, if any experience with the Games Workshop classic.

I have played Hero Quest but never played WHQ. Also played the WHQ app.

I have a decent idea how WHQ works and this seemed to have the feel of it in a few ways. Thematically (of course) but also how you roll through the campaign etc... My hunch (and nothing more than a hunch) is that it will satisfy a bit of the itch... as much as a card game could anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice peek at this. Hey, at least the graphic design is leaps and bounds over the PF game in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim H
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was incorrect, the designer very kindly popped in and corrected me. Editing my comment so that it doesn't mislead anyone

Original comment, for context:
Spoiler (click to reveal)

I was so excited, until I realized that it's another LCG style game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
That awkward moment in the In Flight report when the Warhammer Quest logo popped up on screen, everyone started gasping in astonishment, and then Christian Petersen said WHQ... Adventure Card Game.

Oh.

I am guessing they wouldn't want to bring back traditional WHQ when it might compete with Descent (even though WHQ has a more cooperative feel).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim H
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd love a new WHQ reprint, or even a reimagining that doesn't require me to buy/paint miniatures again. I'm not young anymore, and I don't have that sort of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamison Munn
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think it looks alright. I don't mind the LCG model. I have the Lord of the Rings Card game and play it some but I only have the core set. I don't need to buy everything they release on it. Though I am thinking of pulling the trigger on Games of Thrones LCG 2nd Edition, and I may buy more than the core on that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's an LCG. It doesn't say that's what it is, and it's under the Board and Card game section of the FFG website...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's safe to say now that a Warhammer Quest reprint, as we know it, is not coming back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sadler
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys! My brother Brady and I designed Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game and I can tell you assuredly that it is not an LCG. It is just a cooperative card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the video! Gameplay content wise the package seems quite limited. Only 4 heroes to choose from and 1 campaign. $40 price point feels a little expensive considering this - otherwise I'm partially interested in. If playing with fewer than 4 players, I wonder whether all heroes are used anyway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Coli c/o Eastbiz Corp.
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Adam, since it is not a LCG, is it a completely self-contained game, without any plans for a line of expansions?

I ask because the original WarhammerQuest - together with its expansions and rules - pretty much covered all the warhammer bestiary: lots of expansions and rules added loooooots of things to the original base game. I think that if this game wants to scratch the same itch of the original, it should do the same.

There is soooo much you could do with WHQ even as a card game... TONZ of treasures... TONZ of scenarios.. TONZ of characters.. TONZ of monsters... RPG rules...

Please, this is probably the last stop for the Old World we all have loved for years. Do it justice. I think this can be another of your VIP lines: dont make it like one of those self-contained-and-never-expanded-cards-games.. You made a couple recently, i hope this is not another one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sadler
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
verdealex79 wrote:
Hey Adam, since it is not a LCG, is it a completely self-contained game, without any plans for a line of expansions?

I ask because the original WarhammerQuest - together with its expansions and rules - pretty much covered all the warhammer bestiary: lots of expansions and rules added loooooots of things to the original base game. I think that if this game wants to try to scratch the same itch of the original, it should do the same.

There is soooo much you could do with WHQ even as a card game... TONZ of treasures... TONZ of scenarios.. TONZ of characters.. TONZ of monsters... RPG rules...

Please, this is probably the last stop for the Old World we all have loved for years. Do it justice. I think this can be another of your VIP lines: dont make it like one of those self-contained-and-never-expanded-cards-games.. You made a couple recently, i hope this is not another one.

I can tell you that I would love nothing more than to have lots of expansions for this game. There is so much we'd love to do with it! Hopefully the game does well and FFG sees the demand for more content! We all know how much FFG hates doing expansions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sadler
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
batanen wrote:
Thanks for the video! Gameplay content wise the package seems quite limited. Only 4 heroes to choose from and 1 campaign. $40 price point feels a little expensive considering this - otherwise I'm partially interested in. If playing with fewer than 4 players, I wonder whether all heroes are used anyway?

If you are playing with less than 4 players, there are different versions of the heroes to use that have more health to make up for the missing heroes. In addition, you always perform 4 actions regardless of how many heroes are in the game. SO, in a two-player game each hero would perform 2 actions before the enemies activate.

As for the content, the monsters and locations are variable and can change every time you play a quest. Also, you get a delve quest which lets you play a huge quest and progress your character throughout that one quest. Kind of like an entire campaign crammed into one epic quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim H
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorenthion wrote:
Hey guys! My brother Brady and I designed Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game and I can tell you assuredly that it is not an LCG. It is just a cooperative card game.

Oh, excellent! I'm very happy to hear that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Driver 8 wrote:
I think it's safe to say now that a Warhammer Quest reprint, as we know it, is not coming back.

I'm completely talking out of my rear here, but I would say the chances haven't increased or decreased with the release of the card game. Couple of points to chew on.

A) FFG has the "Warhammer Quest" license in some form. So, maybe that increases the likelihood?

B) WHQ proper would probably compete with Descent and Imperial Assault. But, FFG doesn't have a straight co-op dungeon crawl/scenario driven game ala Ravenloft etc... So, it's not direct competition... but... it's definitely some kind of competition.

C) Games Workshop could also still have plans to reprint it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
B) WHQ proper would probably compete with Descent and Imperial Assault. But, FFG doesn't have a straight co-op dungeon crawl/scenario driven game ala Ravenloft etc... So, it's not direct competition... but... it's definitely some kind of competition.

True WHQ overlaps with Descent a bit. It had that GM-style gameplay and my recollection is that it explicitly supported:

1. GM as adversary (this is the Descent competition, obviously).

2. GM as facilitator (running the game but not trying as hard as possible to kill).

3. AI-controlled monsters (which is something Descent is experimenting with).

So some clear but also vague overlap there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:

This point is exactly why WHQ won't be released for some years yet people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorenthion wrote:
batanen wrote:

If you are playing with less than 4 players, there are different versions of the heroes to use that have more health to make up for the missing heroes. In addition, you always perform 4 actions regardless of how many heroes are in the game. SO, in a two-player game each hero would perform 2 actions before the enemies activate.

As for the content, the monsters and locations are variable and can change every time you play a quest. Also, you get a delve quest which lets you play a huge quest and progress your character throughout that one quest. Kind of like an entire campaign crammed into one epic quest.

Thanks Adam! Really good to hear the game scales like that so you don't need to handle multiple heroes e.g. if playing on solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sadler
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
batanen wrote:
Sorenthion wrote:
batanen wrote:

Thanks Adam! Really good to hear the game scales like that so you don't need to handle multiple heroes e.g. if playing on solo.

I should note that if you play solo, you'll still need to control two heroes. The way the Aid action works, you need at least two heroes in the game. Luckily, controlling two heroes in this game is not overwhelming at all and it makes the game very interesting if you are playing solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed. * Click the yellow microbadge for discounted microbadges!! *
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
It had that GM-style gameplay and my recollection is that it explicitly supported:

2. GM as facilitator (running the game but not trying as hard as possible to kill).

I don't recall WHQ having a DM player... I remember playing solo was an option. Perhaps it was possible, but this game was meant to be played fully coop IIRC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sjeng wrote:
Dormammu wrote:
It had that GM-style gameplay and my recollection is that it explicitly supported:

I don't recall WHQ having a DM player... I remember playing solo was an option. Perhaps it was possible, but this game was meant to be played fully coop IIRC.

It's an option late in the roleplay book, in fact, there is even an adventure in the back of the book for it. I know a lot of people played it that way and disregarded what I always considered the "main" mode: pure co-op.

It wasn't particularly deep, but it did add a small amount to the game. We tried it a few times but WHQ is at its best as a co-op, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.