Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I have a question, but before I ask it, I think it's a good idea to describe my situation:

I've owned the 1st edition for a couple of years now. It's yet unplayed.
I know WotR is a great game as I've watched friends play it a number of times. But I've kindof put off trying to learn it myself, because I tend to have a hard time with games that have a spatial/movement component.
It's just how my brain works: I can analyze tons of abstract interactions within games, but I often seem to be partly blind to spatial patterns. I tend to have trouble with games like Chess and Blood Bowl, even after repeated plays, but I enjoy them nevertheless.

Still, I really want to play this game. I love the LotR books, this game just looks amazing, and as I said I know how fun it is just being a spectator.
So it will certainly take a while, but I am adamant on being able to play this myself.

I see that the 1st edition had one expansion, Battle of the Third Age, as well as an upgrade kit to make it into 2nd edition.
I've also read up on the differences in 2nd edition, and according to the info here on BGG, you cannot combine BotTA with 2nd edition for balance issues.

Now, when I'm going to learn this, I want to either pick 1st or 2nd edition rules, and then stick with it. I don't want to make things harder on myself than it already is.
Also, I tend to buy certain expansions for games ahead of actually wanting/needing them, because in the past I have been in situations where they were already OOP by that time.

So...
...now for the actual question.
Should I:
- stick with 1st edition by itself, and not bother with anything else,
- get BotTA, and that would be enough for a player like me,
- get the upgrade kit just to fix certain issues, learn 2nd edition rules, but not bother with any expansions,
- get the upgrade kit and then one or more 2nd ed. expansions some time later?

Thank you all for your advice!
(...And thanks for reading this long post.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the Upgrade Kit, (assuming it is still available, which I am very unsure of). Then if you play and are able to handle the complexity, you will be able to get the 2nd Edition expansions.

I don't think you'll be able to find the upgrade kit. So play what you have and don't worry about it. The differences are minor, so learning 1st Ed will not be lost effort. If you like the game, go buy a new 2nd Ed and try to sell your first.

Only reason for BotTA at this point would be for the Rohan and Gondor games included. BTW those will screw up your learning of WotR, as they are very different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Nedry
Japan
Yamashina
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest playing what you've got before adding anything else then I'd add the upgrade kit. The differences in 1st ed. v. 2nd ed. are very minor. I think the only rule change the upgrade kit makes is in how the the Witch King functions. The cards are bigger too. Enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both!

I can still get the upgrade kit here in Holland, so I think I'll get that while I still can (as apparently it's already hard to find).

Then, I'll wait with any (2nd ed.) expansions until I have a good grasp of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.