Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
There's alot of hype building up for the [hopefully] imminent release of Kingdom Death: Monster, the Kickstarter miniatures showdown game ~2 years in the making. I was curious if anyone else had thought about doing some kind of weird conversion of Kingdom Death into Shadows of Brimstone? At the very least incorporating the monsters into the game wouldn't be too crazy, but I'm thinking more along the lines of converting it into a full-fledged Otherworld with interlocking tiles built using the game board and the stone face tiles. The two games seem to have some similarities that make them a good fit for each other: lanterns holding back darkness, strange alien creatures killing and/or driving your characters insane, play groups from 1-6 players (or is it 4 for KDM?), intense dice rolling, survival tokens vs grit (sound incredibly similar), and miniatures combat. Potentially even the AI cards from each of the KDM monsters could be used for some kind of weird SoB boss battles, but given how deadly KDM is it may not be ideal to incorporate that portion into SoB. Likely it'd just be another nightmare world that the Heroes have a chance of visiting, but never get too deep into that world.

The settlement building aspects are neat, but that's almost an entire conversion in and of itself and I don't know that rediscovering technology and innovations really fit in with the them of Shadows of Brimstone.

Crazy idea or what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a bad idea! It does seem like a lot of work to make an Other World developed enough to be more than some different visuals, but you might be on to something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just today I was thumbing through pics in anticipation of Fireteam Zero, which has a lot of Achtung Cthulhu\hellboy in it. Considering I can print and mutate all of the miniatures for that game, I am getting ready to do some crossovers with that and SoB. I am really psyched for Fireteam though so maybe I'll keep them separate for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny W
United States
Long Lake
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Hello,

I have been considering developing my own transcendental blighted paradise using Kingdom Death's more deity appearing miniatures. Yet, in the end I don't think it is worth the effort, as the miniature style is too different, and the realm idea to extreme.

What I do see in Kingdom of Death that might be an excellent addition, is to develop A.I. cards and Hit cards, for the boss monsters in Shadow of Brimstone - (so far that would be the Harbinger and Goliath). I can see all types of ways to change the standard tactics, and make epic final encounters.

I have some fantastic ideas, how to develop a boss wizard/cult, using cards to reflect spells, and reactive magic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
Not a bad idea! It does seem like a lot of work to make an Other World developed enough to be more than some different visuals, but you might be on to something.

I imagine it becomes deadlier in KDM missions to match with the theme, some ideas off the top of my head for special rules in the KDM Otherworld:

* Higher chance of getting Injuries or Madness
* Any KO is death or a chance of dying
* Higher chance of getting Critical Hits for both Monsters and Heroes or everything does increased damage
* More badder effects from Voices in the Dark or perhaps everyone gets access to Lanterns and something else happens (The Illuminated Lady comes to take someone away if they venture too far away)
* Tougher Hold Back the Darkness rolls and/or bad stuff happens with each fail
* No escape from the KDM Otherworld until the Heroes at least find another Gate, otherwise Heroes are stuck there into the next Mission if need be.

lemmingsunday wrote:
Hello,

I have been considering developing my own transcendental blighted paradise using Kingdom Death's more deity appearing miniatures. Yet, in the end I don't think it is worth the effort, as the miniature style is too different, and the realm idea to extreme.

What I do see in Kingdom of Death that might be an excellent addition, is to develop A.I. cards and Hit cards, for the boss monsters in Shadow of Brimstone - (so far that would be the Harbinger and Goliath). I can see all types of ways to change the standard tactics, and make epic final encounters.

I have some fantastic ideas, how to develop a boss wizard/cult, using cards to reflect spells, and reactive magic.

The idea of Shadows of Brimstone boss battles is a neat idea and could help to actually differentiate the large monster battles from the every other battle would help. I definitely see what you're saying with the styles of miniatures being too different (less detailed vs ultra-detailed), I don't even know if they're at the same scale, the Heroes would definitely not match up with any humanoid models, but monsters like the Lion, the Antelope, the Nightmare Ram, and some of the other creatures may make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.