Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Nguyen
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
Did some searching on the forums, but didn't see what I was looking for.

I printed out some expansions for Catan, Fisherman's, on regular paper and glued them to 2mm presentation(?) boards. I was thinking of sealing them now, but have no experience with sealant.

What's the best sealant to use? I saw matte vs glossy was more of a user preference, which would be better to use for this project?
What kind of texture will the pieces have after sealing? Will they be smooth and a little slippery like the original Catan pieces? This is kind of what I want to go for.
Any good links about sealant here? I went to this link, but didn't see anything about sealant. https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/848512/all-diy-links-yo...

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience smooth and slippery is glossy. Matte finish has never given a surface as slick as the glossy does although I do prefer the matte finish. Best bet is to try both, a can of spray finish is $3-5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matte is nice as it cuts glare. Glossy seems to help colors appear more saturated.

best approach is to buy the sprays, and make tests on duplicates. I have even seen people speak about using glossy first, then a matte last.

it will probably be difficult to match the texture and appearance of catan production pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
I use Deft brand semi-gloss or matte spray lacquer that I get at Home Depot, it is normally for wood. It smells a bit, so I do it outside & let it dry for a few hours before I bring it in.

I spray things before I glue them or sticker them on chipboard, I have found that if I spray afterward it makes them more likely to come off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
You could also get the cards laminated but it may be more expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Nguyen
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
Assuming I spray correctly, will one light coat be enough? I assume, if I spray too thickly, really fine sand paper to smooth is out will work?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
I normally do 2 light coats, I've noticed that 1 doesn't protect quite as well. I have an inkjet, so any liquid through the barrier makes the ink run.

I don't sand unless I'm using the liquid Deft, and I use steel wool in that case. (and the liquid turns the cards slightly transparent, while making them stiffer, something to consider) Just rubbing it with my hand seems enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Celinashope wrote:
I normally do 2 light coats, I've noticed that 1 doesn't protect quite as well. I have an inkjet, so any liquid through the barrier makes the ink run.

I don't sand unless I'm using the liquid Deft, and I use steel wool in that case. (and the liquid turns the cards slightly transparent, while making them stiffer, something to consider) Just rubbing it with my hand seems enough.
There are specific products for inkjet-printed materials - has anyone used these? http://www.photopaperdirect.com/products/Inkjet-Fixative-Var...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Nguyen
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was planning a Hobby Lobby trip after work, any specific brand/product people recommend?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
mccrispy wrote:
Celinashope wrote:

There are specific products for inkjet-printed materials - has anyone used these? http://www.photopaperdirect.com/products/Inkjet-Fixative-Var...

Whoa. Pricey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
Celinashope wrote:
I use Deft brand semi-gloss or matte spray lacquer that I get at Home Depot, it is normally for wood. It smells a bit, so I do it outside & let it dry for a few hours before I bring it in.

I spray things before I glue them or sticker them on chipboard, I have found that if I spray afterward it makes them more likely to come off.

Well, sometimes I get it at Lowes also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Celinashope wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
Celinashope wrote:

Whoa. Pricey.
For three 400ml cans, with a single can at £6. But the link was just for info really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.