6 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: Imperial class deck : Exhaust this card*** rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
toto tata
msg tools
Hello,

I have a question in relation to the text "Exhaust this card***" that is written at the beginning of some cards (e.g. "Exhaust this card when an Imperial figure declares an attack. That fugure becomes Focused" on the "Show of force" card).

What does that mean? I must use this card when I attack the first time of a round or I can use this card later in the round?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't intent to be rude, but page 12 of the reference guide tells you what it means.

If you have any questions about it, after reading the reference guide, please come back and I will try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Xiyxiy wrote:
Hello,

I have a question in relation to the text "Exhaust this card***" that is written at the beginning of some cards (e.g. "Exhaust this card when an Imperial figure declares an attack. That fugure becomes Focused" on the "Show of force" card).

What does that mean? I must use this card when I attack the first time of a round or I can use this card later in the round?

Thanks!

It doesn't specify which attack, so it can be any attack declared by an imperial figure, so long as the class card was not previously exhausted that turn (so a once per turn limit). Hopefully that answers your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
If the card is ready, you choose whether to exhaust it when you declare an attack to add focus.

An exhausted imperial class card is readied at the Ready step of the status phase (like deployment cards do). (Hero class and item cards ready at the beginning of the respective hero's activation.)

If you don't know what a word means, check the Rules Reference Guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the question is whether such an ability is optional or not, rather than what is the meaning of 'exhaust'.

The answer to that part is that any ability with a cost, such as exhausting a card, are optional. The timing is telling you when you are allowed to pay the cost, not telling you that you must pay the cost as soon as any trigger happens. Thus, you are allowed to choose when you use the ability and exhaust the card.

The list of costs is provided in the Abilities section of the RRG. They are spending an action, spending a surge, suffering strain, spending threat, exhausting a card and depleting a card. All abilities that start with the icon or term that involves one of these effects is optional. In addition, abilities that use the word 'may' are also optional, while those that use 'must' are mandatory.

There are very few abilities which are mandatory. Examples of these mandatory abilities are the Focused condition, Nexu's Non-Sentient, E-Web Engineer's Tripod and AT-ST's Awkward. Note that none of them involves a cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toto tata
msg tools
Thank you for your answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.