Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Variants

Subject: 8 Thematic AH custom characters translated to EH w.i.p. need feedback! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all. I don't know how many of you will recognized these characters from the files section over on the Arkham Horror boards, but I have been dying to translate them over to Eldritch Horror. They have received over 500 downloads, and I know a lot of Arkham Horror players also play Eldritch. I would absolutely love anyone with a passion for these homebrew investigators to be able to play them with whichever game the are enjoying.

And if you haven't checked them out yet, they're pretty great, and hopefully I will get these renditions finalized and available for you guys here! laugh You can see the Arkham Horror version by following this link: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/97796-soakman...

With that preface out of the way, I come bearing possible investigator stats, abilities, starting items, and starting locations. Please help me out and let me know if you have any particular concerns with these before I try to launch them into a some playtested games.

Without further ado, here is the rough outline for these awesome new investigators.

Anna Anderson: The Imposter (?)
Sanity: 6 Stamina: 6
Starting: Axe, Space 16
Lore: 3 Influence: 1 Obs: 2 Strength: 3 Will: 4
Action: Discard one Exposure Condition and gain One Focus.
Passive: When Anna Passes a Horror Test, gain a Sanity

Anton Pavel: The Romani Acrobat
Sanity: 4 Stamina: 8
Starting: Lucky Cigarette Case, Istanbul
Lore: 2 Influence: 3 Obs: 2 Strength: 3 Will: 3
Action: Test Influence -1, gain a random Trinket from the deck.
Passive: After his encounter phase, Anton may immediately spend one Stamina to perform one additional action.

Eunice Goulding: The Geometrician
Sanity: 7 Stamina: 5
Starting: Clairvoyance, The Pyramids
Lore: 3 Influence: 2 Obs: 4 Strength: 1 Will: 3
Action: Test Obs -1, look at the back of any spell you own and gain one Clue.
Passive: After resolving a spell effect, Eunice must discard that spell and gain a new one.

Hosea Mayhew: The Emery Miner
Starting: Lantern, Minerology Report, Arkham
Lore: 1 Influence: 3 Obs: 3 Strength: 4 Will: 2
Action: If Hosea does not have an ally, discard an improvement and gain a random unique ally asset.
Passive: When Hosea gains an ally, gain a random task asset.

Edmund Moore: The Streetrat
Sanity: 6 Stamina: 5
Starting: Silver Key Artifact, Arkham
Lore: 2 Influence: 2 Obs: 2 Strength: 3 Will: 3
Action: Trade with an investigator on your space, the perform an additional action.
Passive: Gain a Focus if Edward is Detained or Delayed.

Astrid Lee: The Gossip
Sanity: 5 Stamina: 7
Starting: Newspaper Report, Rome
Lore: 2 Influence: 4 Obs: 3 Strength: 2 Will: 2
Action: Test Influence -1, spawn a discarded clue of your choice.
Passive: Once per game, solve an existing Rumor and gain a Dark Pact condition.

Sadie Godfrey: The Survivor
Starting: Purifying the World, San Francisco
Lore: 2 Influence: 2 Obs: 2 Strength: 4 Will: 3
Action: Spend one Focus and discard a Condition.
Passive: Sadie cannot be cursed; she receives an additional die in combat checks for each focus she currently has.

Obi Leveau: The Voudoo Bokor
Sanity: 8 Stamina: 4
Starting: Banishment, Space 7
Lore: 4 Influence: 2 Obs: 3 Strength: 2 Will: 2
Action: Roll a die. Remove and item in the reserve from the game with cost equal to or less than your die roll. An investigator on your space gains an Improvement of his choice.
Passive: Investigators receive an additional die on tests when having an Otherworld encounter at a gate that matches the current Omen.

Let me know what you think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I begin critiquing, I ought to point out a similar thread I did. Much of my response comes from experience playtesting that one.

Quote:

Exposure conditions rarely come up unless you're playing Ithaqua. So this guy is an Ithaqua-killer, and not much good otherwise.

Quote:
Passive: After his encounter phase, Anton may immediately spend one Stamina to perform one additional action.

This one isn't bad, balance-wise, as far as I can tell. But having actions performed between encounters and mythos... well, I had problems actually trying to do it, back when I was doing my testing.

Quote:
Passive: After resolving a spell effect, Eunice must discard that spell and gain a new one.

This one is too weak. In the thread I linked to, I have a character who's capable of looking at the back of all double-sided cards, and even changing them for other versions of the same cards. I love the character (effectively being able to pick your own dark pact is great), but she was simply too weak, until I gave her a skill improvement.

Swapping spells around is actually probably a detriment, it means you lose any spell you really want to create a strategy around. I think if you make the passive ability optional, you've got a real good character here.

Edit: that's what happens when you rush and don't read properly. Getting a clue each turn is probably a hair on the powerful side, unless there are some limits on it (more than the once per turn limit for actions.) Notice that all the other characters who gain clues as part of their abilities have some limitations on how they can get them, and those limitations are important for balance.

Quote:
Action: If Hosea does not have an ally, discard an improvement and gain a random unique ally asset.

You need to change the wording so that they only gain the ally if they have an improvement token to lose. I would have to play it before I can comment on play balance.

Quote:
Action: Trade with an investigator on your space, the perform an additional action.

Needs to be buffed a little.

Never mind, I saw the artifact. Um... not the way I would do it (too easy to lose items, and some people would deliberately kill him off to get a replacement character after they trade away the artifact), but maybe.

Quote:

This is another "use his ability, then kill him off" character.

Quote:
Passive: Sadie cannot be cursed; she receives an additional die in combat checks for each focus she currently has.

I like this one, but I would ditch the "cannot be cursed" part— after all, she can get rid of her own curses, and this is really two passive abilities that don't have any overlap.

Quote:
Action: Roll a die. Remove and item in the reserve from the game with cost equal to or less than your die roll. An investigator on your space gains an Improvement of his choice.
Passive: Investigators receive an additional die on tests when having an Otherworld encounter at a gate that matches the current Omen.

What connection does scrape an item from the reserve (which you probably want to do anyway) have to do with gain an improvement (which is too powerful)?

Does his passive work only on the same space, or across the board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thoughts. I will reply to this soon. I appreciate the insight, and I can lay down a bit about some of my thoughts that maybe you'll be able to pick up.

I did want to say that Eunice's boon is really the interaction between passive and action. She can check her spells before casting them to see if they are particularly powerful. If they are, she can hand them off to another investigator. The same is true if you're looking for a particular spell such as Blessings of Isis or plumb the void but do not want to camp out in Beunos Ares or Arkham.

And the clue is an added benefit to make her more competitive as you noticed without it she isn't particularly strong. I turn to Trish for comparison, but you are right that there should be a limit (possibly if she doesn't have one or maybe tinker around and give her a focus instead or something).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Aligato
Philippines
Quezon City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi soakman! Sent a message to you!

First thing comes to mind is that the wording, overall, is not that close to what is written on the official ones. For example, 'Stamina' is 'Health'. But I guess we all understand it. Haha

Quote:

For Anna (my fave character here, historically), there's only 1 Exposure Condition so far. I think you could do a "Gain 1 Focus, then perform 1 additional action; or spend 1 Focus to discard something" Also, why is there a question mark after her occupation?

Quote:

My other fave character (thematically). Comparing to the Voice of Ra spell, I think you should make his passive into "During the Action Phase, you may spend 2 Health to perform 1 additional action."

Quote:

Maybe you should switch the two abilities. With the active action as "Discard 1 Spell. If you do, gain 1 Spell."

And the passive would be: "Once per round, when you flip a Spell, gain 1 Clue."

Quote:

I think the action here would be too costly to be used enough. And you could only use it when you don't have an Ally. And what does the Lantern do? Or is it forom FL? (we don't have a copy of that yet).

Quote:

My OC-ness is scratching at me haha Since Sanity+Health has always been 12. But his abilities is pretty solid. Also, I'm assuming 'Edward' is Edmund. Also, is his passive triggered only once per round, or everytime he's Detained or Delayed?

Quote:

I love her active action, having the ability to choose where you would spawn your own clue. Very helpful in some mysteries. But I don't like her passive only being used once per game. Also, isn't her passive an effect given by an Easy Mythos card?

Quote:

This is also a pretty solid character. I love her story (our game group have talked about a similar character haha). I agree with Xelto that "can't be Cursed" is not needed as her other passive is solid: "For each Focus you have, gain 1 additional die when resolving tests during Combat Encounters."

Quote:

I'm assuming the passive applies to all spaces with gates that match the current omen. An investigator gaining an Improvement token without cost or chance of failure is too powerful. Also, Wilson already has the power of discarding any Asset from the reserve (which is very similar, as you can almost never regain an asset from the discard pile). And you could change his starting spell (Patrice already has the Banishment spell).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At some risk of derailment - - - what is an "Emery Mine" ??

Wikipedia to the rescue: "Emery (or corundite) is a dark granular rock used to make abrasive powder. Emery is named after Cape Emeri, Island of Naxos, where it was first discovered.[1] It largely consists of the mineral corundum (aluminium oxide), mixed with other species such as the iron-bearing spinels, hercynite, and magnetite, and also rutile (titania). Industrial emery may contain a variety of other minerals and synthetic compounds such as magnesia, mullite, and silica.

It is black or dark grey in colour, less dense than translucent-brown corundum with a specific gravity of between 3.5 and 3.8. Because it can be a mixture of minerals, no definite Mohs hardness can be assigned: the hardness of corundum is 9 and that of some spinel-group minerals is near 8, but the hardness of others such as magnetite is near 6.

Crushed or naturally eroded emery (known as black sand) is used as an abrasive — for example, on an emery board and emery cloth, as a traction enhancer in asphalt and tarmac mixtures.

Turkey and Greece are the main suppliers of the world's emery. These two countries produced about 17,500 tons of the mineral in 1987.[2]

The Greek island of Naxos used to be the main source of this industrially important rock type. It has been mined on the eastern side of Naxos for well over two thousand years until recent times. However, demand for emery has decreased with the development of sintered carbide and oxide materials as abrasives.

A small quantity of emery is used in coated abrasive products, but its main use in the United States is wear-resistant floors and pavements.[3] Many tons are shipped to Asia to be used in grinding rice.[4]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this. I know that emery is not a mineral mined in the U.S. but I assumed Arkham has it's own strange geology and who really knows what lies at the bottom of Black Cave anyway? goo

Fact checking and thoughts on backstories are also welcome. They are going to be difficult to translate over to globe-trotting back stories. Especially with the reduced area in which to write these in EH. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree completely about Arkham's unique Geology !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Posting from work during my breaks with thoughts as I have them. I will edit this specific post to include any miscellaneous tidbits until I have a chance to make up a full post addressing questions and thoughts you guys have already generously provided. Thank you so much for your time and help!

Xelto: I will check out your thread as soon as I am able. I'm always interested in perusing others custome content. Especially for Eldritch as I don't have any experience with creating it for this particular game yet.

What problems did you have exactly regarding the actions after encounter situation as per Anton? I haven't playtested it yet, but I
can't think of any at the moment.

Albert: The wording will be altered before it is finalized. These are rough mechanics based iterations because I did not have my game with me at the time. I will do my absolute darndest to get them as close to the original wording as possible! A very important observation.

GeneralRevision Ideas:

You are both right about Anna's active ability. There is only one exposure currently, and I was probably trying to translate her AH ability a little bit too faithfully. Instead, I think I have a solution based around the particular nature of her Personal Story in AH. To do so, I will have to alter her stats around.
Lore: 2 Inf: 1 Obs: 3 St: 3 Will: 4
Action: Spend one Sanity to test Will instead of Lore when resolving spell effect that may be used during the action phase.
Passive: Recover 1 Sanity when Anna passes a Horror test.

In regard to Astrid's once per game ability making her a use and sacrifice type of character, you are correct. I want to avoid this, but still give her a powerful rumor-based ability.
Astrid's action will remain the same, however her passive will read either (1) Passive: When a rumor is in play, Astrid receives two additional dice to all skill tests. (2) Passive: Gain up to two improvements for a stat of your choice when a rumor is solved. Thoughts?

With Anton, I would like to keep his passive slightly better than Voice of Ra (otherwise I would have given him the spell to begin with, but it does raise a question about power creep should he end up with the spell as well). I'd also like to permit his action to happen after the encounter phase to keep him interesting, but also to allow opportunities like closing a gate, but then being able to begin the trek to his next destination. This third action could not be a duplicate as per the standard rules. I might change this passive, but only if it becomes a mechanical problem during playtests.

Hosea's action ability is really quite powerful and unique allies do not come up very often. There has to be a significant sacrifice to obtain them as he can trade his allies away since they are assets. I'm more worried, actually, about how powerful he may be able to make the team if someone uses Feed the Mind on him continuously. Tasks are QUITE good themselves, but they require specific goals to be met to activate them. Doling them out to those most suited to the task would be costly in terms of actions. I think the Doom track keeps him from making the team too powerful in a typical game, but I should probably playtest this first. Also, the lantern is a relatively insignificant item, but it is thematic and I think a one-time use. I will check when I am home.

And finally, one possible thought about Obi's active ability which may be too confusing for simple play. Action: Return an artifact you own to the box and place a "!" token at your location. If a gate would open there, retreat the doom by 1 instead and remove the "!" token. Artifacts are pretty rare, and quite a trade-off for doom reduction, but it is a powerful ability. Thematically this item discarding idea relates to his ability to create Gris-Gris (a type of beneficial spiritual totem) from items of significance or power. If you want the whole story, check out the Arkham version's "the story so far/personal story." Also, his passive does effect all investigators board wide. This is one reason why he is a 8/4 character. They are significantly harder to keep alive, and most 8/4 characters have this trade-off. Jacqeline's clue trades & gains, Charlie's asset buying and action transfer, Georges's ability to free detained/debted investigators board-wide, etc. There are exceptions, but I believe this is one of the balancing ideas that has been in place since launch.

Edmund is a little difficult to feel out. This is mostly because FFG has not shown us how or if Wendy is going to compare to other investigators. In Arkham, Wendy started with one of the most powerful items in the game but had significantly lowered stats. The Silver Key in Eldritch is pretty good (it is also a part of Edmund's original back story from his AH version). I'd like to keep it, but, again, I'm worried about people just trading it and then letting him die. I could add a "The Silver Key cannot be traded" addendum, but it has yet to be done in EH, so I'm not sure if I ought to implement it. Thoughts?

Are these improved ideas? Or do these only complicate matters with these characters? Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like most of them quite a bit. You might consider making Astrid's ability "two RANDOM improvements" to make it a bit softer, and more interesting.

I'd say GO for making Edmund keep his precious key at all costs. Make it Edmund-specific, though - - "Edmund can never trade or drop the Silver Key."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Xelto: I will check out your thread as soon as I am able. I'm always interested in perusing others custome content. Especially for Eldritch as I don't have any experience with creating it for this particular game yet.

What problems did you have exactly regarding the actions after encounter situation as per Anton? I haven't playtested it yet, but I
can't think of any at the moment.

Mostly it was just a "didn't feel right" with a small amount of "Oh, yeah, I forgot to do it at the right time."

I didn't give that particular one a deep going over, once I hit the "didn't feel right", I mostly stopped because much earlier on, I had an alternate version of Ursula (this was pre-MoM), which did get a good going-over, that also changed the timing rules. In her case, she could do a second encounter during a turn It wasn't a broken ability, despite the reaction most people got, since that meant she got banged up a lot, spent a lot of time resting, and not using her ability all that often. But despite not being overpowered, it just felt like it really didn't belong, and when MoM came along, I dropped the character and didn't try to shuffle the ability elsewhere.

My limited experimentation with allowing actions between encounters and mythos gave me the exact same feeling of "nice idea, but doesn't fit." So I never experimented heavily with it.

Quote:
GeneralRevision Ideas:

You are both right about Anna's active ability. There is only one exposure currently, and I was probably trying to translate her AH ability a little bit too faithfully. Instead, I think I have a solution based around the particular nature of her Personal Story in AH. To do so, I will have to alter her stats around.
Lore: 2 Inf: 1 Obs: 3 St: 3 Will: 4
Action: Spend one Sanity to test Will instead of Lore when resolving spell effect that may be used during the action phase.
Passive: Recover 1 Sanity when Anna passes a Horror test.

I think this works. I'm not sure how much I would like the character— I would have to play with her to find out. However, I don't see any reason to limit this to "used during the action phase".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main reason is because it is an action ability, and it would be weird to spend an action to use a spell during the encounter phase. The wording is only like that at the moment, because I can't think of a more concisely phrased way to make sure players understand the ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Aligato
Philippines
Quezon City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anna's active action still feels like it's a passive one for me.

For Anton, if you want him to trek, you could say "once per round, after the encounter phase, you may spend 1 health to move to an adjacent space." It does limit your options, but is cleaner I think.

For Hosea (how do you pronounce his full name?), you could make it similar to Zoey's: If you have less than 2 ALLY Assets, gain 1 CHARACTER Unique Asset.

For me, it kind of feels wrong if Edmund can't drop a specific item (even from his story, his life isn't attached to the silver key). I suggest creating a different artifact that would have a big penalty if an investigater would lose or trade it away. Or make it as : you cannot discard Artifacts unless you choose to.

For Astrid, maybe create a "advance the Rumour" mechanic? also, what did you think of eunice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
I like most of them quite a bit. You might consider making Astrid's ability "two RANDOM improvements" to make it a bit softer, and more interesting.

I'd say GO for making Edmund keep his precious key at all costs. Make it Edmund-specific, though - - "Edmund can never trade or drop the Silver Key."

I was thinking about your suggestion for Astrid. I like the idea, but a problem arises if the player grabs an improvement token for a stat he can no longer improve. Although the immediate assumption would be to redraw that improvement, expressly addressing this somewhere would be necesarry and it's just too much text for a single ability.

Obi's might be tough to word concisely as is.

I think I have a handy way to address Edmund as well. And I appreciate your feedback on him.

@ Albert:

Quote:

Albert wrote:
Action: Roll a die. Remove an item in the reserve from the game with cost equal to or less than your die roll. An investigator on your space gains an Improvement of his choice.

I'm assuming the passive applies to all spaces with gates that match the current omen. An investigator gaining an Improvement token without cost or chance of failure is too powerful. Also, Wilson already has the power of discarding any Asset from the reserve (which is very similar, as you can almost never regain an asset from the discard pile). And you could change his starting spell (Patrice already has the Banishment spell).

I just wanted to point out that there is a built in chance to fail his ation. If you roll a 5 or a 6 on the die, there are no items in the deck with a high enough cost to sacrifice. Also, if all you have are items with low costs, your chances of success are significantly lowered.

Also, Hosea's name is pronounced "Hoe-ZAY-uh"

EDIT:Obi's ability should read equal to or GREATER, not LESS than, your die roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.