Subject: 1/160 Thunder Road rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
anevil giraffe
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
quick WIPs for adding some Fury to Thunder Road using 1/160 railway models and some greenstuff...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Rapp
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmb
Very nice!

What miniatures did you use for the gunner?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, those are great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anevil giraffe
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bit of paint and a productive weekend:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anevil giraffe
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mathiasrapp wrote:
Very nice!

What miniatures did you use for the gunner?

well that one was a Pendraken 10mm Falklands War British machine gunner, but needed a load of stuff cut off... I have since discovered Hawk Wargames Dropzone Commander 10mm stuff and the Resistance faction has some perfect Mad Max vehicles and figures - including some rear gunners I need to pick up and some buses and bikers which are definite purchases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
These look great! 2 Questions:

1. Where did you get the vehicles?

2. How do they look next to the original UK Thunder Road vehicle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anevil giraffe
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
eBay for the vehicles - 1/160 is US/European N scale railway, so has quite a decent selection to choose from.

they are small though, two abreast will fit in one space on the board. I'll do a size comparison tonight when I get home.

I have a blog which has more pics - anevilgiraffe.blogspot.co.uk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Rapp
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmb
Awesome, I'll look into 10mm

I have the Dropzone Commander Resistance Motorbikes, but they are too small for my Micro Machines

mind you I just got some new Micro Machines which look even smaller, so I guess the scale can vary a fair bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anevil giraffe
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
micromachines tend to make things to fit a size if memory serves, so they would vary in scale if intended to fit in the same packaging... 1/160 is pretty much 10mm, so hoping the bikers will be fine, judging by the infantry I used, they should be...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Rapp
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah I think they will fit your cars fine!

I'm fairly sure the micro machines I have are larger than 1/160 which is why they don't fit so well.

That whole Resistance line would be awesome for this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
It seems that most of the vehicles on Ebay are a few pounds a piece at least. Even with the post-Mad Max leap in price on Thunder Road I wonder if it is cheaper to just buy more copies of the base game and mod those vehicles...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anevil giraffe
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
the coupe's are a couple of quid each, but lovely crisp casts. there is a seller that does miscast cars in a bag of three as junkyard cards (airbubbles and so on I think), for the price of a single car, so that is more economical.

the VW beetles were 10 for about a tenner if memory serves.

I'm toying with doing the board smaller now, so it takes up less space and fits the smaller cars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nice! I just posted a giant file of the board with the lines removed and doubled in width. I also uploaded a file of the board with a hex grid instead of rectangles. It is a large file, and so could be printed at any size, even smaller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anevil giraffe
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
the smaller scale is making me think about building a 3d board... can then add stuff like ruins... maybe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Those are pretty great! I love Dropzone Commander and have some Resistance models that I want to try in our next Thunder Road game. I'll have to settle on which rules variant to use for some of these but for comparison sake, I think 10mm Dropzone stuff can definitely work:

These are Resistance Freeriders (bikers), Gun Wagons, and an APC. The bikers seem slightly big but not too bad. The Gun Wagon and APC fit pretty well. These are UK Thunder Road vehicles so they are smaller than the American versions.

Here I have two "Battle buses" (top of photo- primed only) and a Micro Machine tanker (lower right). The buses look slightly small but it might be the image as the looked closer to "right" in person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Those buses look amazing!

Questions about the sets:

It says they come with 12 pewter figures. Does that refer to gunners, or other bitz?

Would the gunners look ok if added to the Micro Machine rigs, like the ones I have made?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anevil giraffe
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nice, worringly those bikes look ok with the game cars, so now wondering if they will be too big for mine... hmmm... any infantry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Rapp
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmb
That looks so good, actually fits the board artwork really well!

Now I wish I'd stuck with the resistance haha. They reaally don't fit with my other micro vehicles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Soldier wrote:
Those buses look amazing!

Questions about the sets:

It says they come with 12 pewter figures. Does that refer to gunners, or other bitz?

Yeah I love the buses. the pewter figures are the gunners. The set comes with 6 AA gunners and 6 anti-tank gunners and each bus has an attachable crows nest type open bunker that can rest on top of the buses.

Quote:
Would the gunners look ok if added to the Micro Machine rigs, like the ones I have made?

I think I remember seeing your rigs but do you have a link? Edit: HA! I remember now because it's currently the latest thread in this forum! I think the issue with your current rigs is you'd need to clear off the deck a little so there is space to put the bunker. I was thinking of putting the bunker thing on top of the micro machine rig I have to see how well it works. Hopefully this weekend I can try that and post some images.

anevilgiraffe wrote:
nice, worringly those bikes look ok with the game cars, so now wondering if they will be too big for mine... hmmm... any infantry?

I do have infantry (they just didn't make it into the shot). I can post something with comparison to the other vehicles. I would have thought that N-scale and 10mm were 100% compatible but maybe it varies by manufacturer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anevilgiraffe wrote:
the smaller scale is making me think about building a 3d board... can then add stuff like ruins... maybe
those might be doable as a special terrain type. why yes, I do like that idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anevil giraffe
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
just a way to create bottlenecks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, "you can't drive here" sort of ruins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anevil giraffe
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
there's another way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/654850/alternate-boardsmapsf...

One of the things discussed there was possibilities for alternate map tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anevil giraffe
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ah - I thought you had another use for ruins in the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.