GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,374 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: Base game + expansions? Or base game & expansions?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
In Time
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious if the "twin shadows" "hoth" expansions will play with the base game? Meaning can I play the entire base game then play through the twin shadows then play through hoth, All with the same character? Or is the campaign the same length with just different missions/stories to play?? Or is the hoth campaign its own thing altogether, and therefore a new campaign (probably) not to mixed with the other campaign?

Thanks for the answers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's complicated.

You need the base game to play anything.

A regular campaign has story missions and side missions.

The base comes with both.

Twin Shadows comes with Side missions. So they can be added to any campaign.

Return to Hoth mostly comes with Story Miasions. You will need side missions from other products like base game, twin shadows, and all of the rebel figure packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But all heroes are playable in all campaigns, yes.

Saying Ken's stuff another way:

The Core Set and Return to Hoth both contain full campaigns that utilise a branching path of story missions, interspersed with Side Missions that can come from any set (including all the figure expansions) provided those Side Missions fit the Time Period of the campaign setting.

The core set's Campaign is Time Period 3, which is between Episode IV and V. Return to Hoth's is likely to be set between Episodes V and VI (they are 'returning' to Hoth after all), which should be Time Period 5 (Episode V itself would be Time Period 4).

Twin Shadows has a mini-campaign that is comprised of 6 Side Missions strung together to form a story which is 4 missions long. Those Side Missions could be used with the other sets' campaigns, but you won't be using any other missions except the 6 that come from Twin Shadows in its mini-campaign. You even remove the Agenda and Forced Missions from the Agenda deck in this mini-campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer a point I didn't see addressed already: no, you would not play both campaigns (core set and Hoth) sequentially, you'd run out of ways to upgrade your character. You'd choose one champaign, and you can use any of the heroes from any of the sets, but not "your character" from a prior campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In Time
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx so much for the clear and quick answers I appreciate it!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eckhard
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:

Twin Shadows has a mini-campaign that is comprised of 6 Side Missions strung together to form a story which is 4 missions long. Those Side Missions could be used with the other sets' campaigns, but you won't be using any other missions except the 6 that come from Twin Shadows in its mini-campaign. You even remove the Agenda and Forced Missions from the Agenda deck in this mini-campaign.

Cool, might I ask where this information is coming from. Haven't seen it anywhere else...

Edit: Just to clarify. I knew about the mini campaign and the six missions included. But not the specifics you mentioned

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Freiburger
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang, 4 missions is indeed a mini campaign. So if you play it as it's own separate thing, you don't even do side missions in between the Twin Shadows missions? That's too bad IMO, as my group would love for something shorter/different than the core campaign, but would also like an excuse to play some of the cool new side missions from the ally packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MoiHaha wrote:
Cool, might I ask where this information is coming from. Haven't seen it anywhere else...

Edit: Just to clarify. I knew about the mini campaign and the six missions included. But not the specifics you mentioned

Twin Shadows was sold at Gencon, so the information is out there. I must admit that's not exactly how I know specifics, but I'm not really at liberty to say what that method is.

jdfreibu wrote:
Dang, 4 missions is indeed a mini campaign. So if you play it as it's own separate thing, you don't even do side missions in between the Twin Shadows missions? That's too bad IMO, as my group would love for something shorter/different than the core campaign, but would also like an excuse to play some of the cool new side missions from the ally packs.

The mini-campaign structure also includes an accelerated upgrade procedure that would work with any set of Side Missions.

Thus, you can get 6 Side Missions you want to play, spread them out in a similar pattern to the Twin Shadows campaign, and run them as your own mini-campaign, using the bridging epilogues from Twin Shadows to power up at the correct rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or, not having read through the Twin Shadows material yet, I'm sure you could simply play the core campaign and choose to use the Twin Shadows missions in order as the side missions instead of choosing them as per the normal rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eckhard
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
MoiHaha wrote:

Twin Shadows was sold at Gencon, so the information is out there. I must admit that's not exactly how I know specifics, but I'm not really at liberty to say what that method is.

I think I get your meaning. Thanks for sharing. I thought I missed something, like FFG posting the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.