GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,302 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Fresh Fish» Forums » Rules

Subject: Classic version for placing paths rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have purchased and read the rules for about 250 games since 2011, and there has not been one game I couldn't eventually figure out - until now. The rules for placing paths in the classic version make absolutely no sense to me. I don't even have a specific question here because i simply cannot understand it. Even the pictures make no sense for the most part. Can someone rephrase the rule for laying paths, or is it simply too complicated to try and explain?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The principle that guides path laying is this: all spaces must be connected by road (except market stalls).

This means that during the game, roads are placed whenever there is a space that only has one way of connecting to the rest of the board. The most basic example is a space in a corner (it could be an empty space, a space with a claim marker on it, or a space with a building on it - anything and everything except market stalls). That space in the corner only has two ways to connect to the rest of the board- the two spaces orthogonal to it. So once one of those two spaces gets occupied by either a market stall or building, then the other space immediately becomes a road, as this is the only way left for that space in the corner to connect to the rest of the board.

At first it can be difficult to visualize when roads need to be built, but the principle is always the same. Just pay attention whenever a market stall or building is placed- does this create a bottleneck such that some space (or entire area) only has one way of connecting to the rest of the board? Then roads need to be placed.

Hope this helps. It's as best I can explain it without pictures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If you are comfortable with inductive logic, the rules are very simple:

For every empty square (ie doesn't have a tile on it) on the board, the following two rules must be true:

1) There must be only one road system.

2) If it did contain a store, that store must be able to connect to the road system.

And that's it.

Just look at every square and ask yourself: If a store or park went here, could there still be only one contiguous road system?

If your answer is NO, then put a road tile on that square. It doesn't matter if there are cubes there. Just make that square a road.

Next ask: If this square had a store on it, could it connect to the road system?

If your answer in NO, then you screwed up earlier. If you answer in YES but only if this other square or squares are roads, then go make those squares roads.

And that's it. All very simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, that does help. The only area I am still a little fuzzy in is what is meant exactly by "one road system." Does that mean no branching? In other words for example:

1. If there is a market stall or flea market on the board then a road can only connect to it one way?

2. Roads cannot branch off to make multiple paths to the same buildings?

3. Roads cannot be placed side by side to create "double lanes" so to speak?

I think it will make even more sense once the game is being played rather than just trying to visualize it in my head. I know some players like the classic rules better so I am curious to give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
rogerramjet3361 wrote:
what is meant exactly by "one road system." Does that mean no branching?

One contiguous road system. Just a set of road tiles, every one of which shares an edge with at least one other road tile. That's the only constraint from the first inductive rule. (ie branches are fine)

Quote:
1. If there is a market stall or flea market on the board then a road can only connect to it one way?

Or two, or three. But one is the minimum. More than one side doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

Quote:
2. Roads cannot branch off to make multiple paths to the same buildings?

Of course they can.

Quote:
3. Roads cannot be placed side by side to create "double lanes" so to speak?

Players don't place roads (until the end-game). Until then roads are only placed, and only sometimes, as a result of player actions. Prior to the end-game, using only the expropriate rules, it is not possible to get a 2x2 square of roads. Prior to the end-game, there is no possible arrangement of tiles which would force a 2x2 square of roads per the inductive rules I gave above.

Quote:
I know some players like the classic rules better so I am curious to give it a try.

Yep. The original game is far more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.