United States
Chandler
Arizona (AZ)
flag msg tools
Gott Mit Uns!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Per 5th Edition:

11.86 "Reaction Fire: Oxybeles may fire twice per Enemy Orders phase at any time during the enemy Movement/Missile segment- and we mean any; they may fire even in the midst of enemy movement"...It then explains the procedure and then at the end... "Oxybeles, however, cannot use any type of Reaction Fire."

Above that section is the Active Fire section (11.85) That says you can fire offensively twice per game turn (not phase) during any friendly Orders Phase."

Can I do both in the same turn, or is it one or the other?

I'm playing the Manitea scenario from Phalanx, its says to use the Catapults exactly like Oxybeles.

Also that last line in the reaction fire section is a little contradictory.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Clark
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can use both 'Active Fire' and 'Reaction Fire' during the same turn. Note also that 'Reaction Fire' may be used twice per enemy Enemy Orders Phase, which means each enemy orders phase.

Although Reaction Fire occurs during the movement/missile segment of the enemy orders phase, the artillery unit's response is limited by two shots per phase and by not being able to use return fire. Hence it cannot use missile reaction fire: it cannot fire at enemy units that fired at it and neither can it fire at enemy units that move adjacent to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loris Pagnotta
Italy
Brusaporto
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that you, like me we are both a bit perplexed for this rule that make of the oxybeles a sort of modern machinegun but this is how the designer interpretate these weapons and unless you do an house rule, the answer is yes in both cases.
You can fire twice during any one of your orders phase and twice during all the enemy orders phase.
In Mantinea scenario Catapults follow the fire procedure of oxybeles (a veritable rain of stones).
This rule can impose a tactical choice (the hunt of the artillery) and I think for that reason the designer prohibits any form of Reaction fire.
If for example, you advance one unit to destroy the artillery, this unit can be hit twice at three and two hex of distance but avoid a third deadly fire when it become adjacent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chandler
Arizona (AZ)
flag msg tools
Gott Mit Uns!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys for the great answers, and just out of curiosity what house rules have you used with the Catapults/Oxybeles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loris Pagnotta
Italy
Brusaporto
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try with this: The Oxybeles may fire twice during the enemy orders phase and twice during any friendly Orders Phase (four shots per turn).
Reaction fire is allowed if the oxybeles has the necessary remaining shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobrukker
United States
flag msg tools
I interpret it as you can fire at any time during an enemy Orders Phase, twice, during movement/Missile Seg. To include units moving adjacent, and being fired at. However, the normal Reaction Fire (8.2) triggers do not trigger additional fires above the two Max. allowed per enemy Orders Phase. Such that, if you've Fired twice that is it for that Orders Phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chandler
Arizona (AZ)
flag msg tools
Gott Mit Uns!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I was also wondering if anyone had a scan of the 2nd edition Phalanx book, I wanted to compare it to my 1st edition and note the changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.