1 Posts

Modern Art» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Gamescape at the Tate Modern? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
On wednesday night, we cracked open a fairly recent purchase - Modern Art. MA is one of those games that, in hindsight, I’m surprised we don’t already own, it’s by the great Dr Knizia, it’s an auction game and it’s highly rated on the BGG. All usually very good signs.

Si and I had played once before, we had a practice game last week, but this was the first time Paul and Brett had played.

We decided to secretly write down our score in between each “season” just to see how the flow of the game went.

The game got off to an unusual start, Si managed to get through the whole round without buying anything at all! The rest of us bought like crazy, and it wasn’t long before the requisite 5 Kryptos had come out and the first season was over. Si had nothing to sell, but had sold well during the season, I had 2, Brett 3 and Paul 4. The money came out as…

Round 1
Paul $96,000
Si $156,000 (told you he had sold well!)
Brett $157,000
Mike $177,000

The big money was on Christin P. so there was a definite ramping effect on his paining in the second season, so much so that Si managed to sell a couple, before he and Paul finished the round quickly, I bought or sold nothing! I suspect this isn’t normal for the game! Neither Brett nor I had anything to sell in this round, Paul and Si had 2 each.

Round 2
Paul $126,000
Si $186,000
Brett $207,000
Mike $177,000

So, Brett was storming into a lead, but the third season was upon us, and was much more hard-nosed about the buying and selling. Christin P. was still very much the darling of the galleries, but Lite metal and Yoko were both still sought after, so much so that a number of pieces of art we boguht and sold this turn. In the end, Si sold 3, Paul 2, Brett 2 and I sold 3. Wuite a collection this time.

Round 3
Paul $223,000
Si $206,000
Brett $227,000
Mike $244,000

Into the final round, and I had managed to sneak into a bit of a lead, although I suspected that Paul was sitting pretty! In this round we were shown a valuable lesson in the worth of unrealised assets! Paul bought a Christin P. off me for $75k, believeing it to be worth $90k when he sold it - two problens arose! Firstly, he paid me 6 (yes thats right, six!) times the profit he would get, and secondly, it turned out to be worth only $80k when he sold it - net $10k loss versus my net $75k profit! I think we all learned here!
Si sold 1 painting, I sold 2, Paul 4 and Brett 3, and the money worked out as…

Round 4
Paul $293,000
Si $311,000
Brett $284,000
Mike $373,000

It was an interesting game, and one that I think will be very different next time. I wonder about paying more that 50% of the estimated value of something, so if you believe something to be worth $60k, then I think $30 would make a sensible cut off for auction, you make some, the seller makes some.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.