GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,439 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Golem Arcana» Forums » General

Subject: New and need some assistance... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Kindt Dalzen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the community.

I started a post but the internet ate it.

Try watching Rodney's excellent videos to get started: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy4oEGWGrPN8w1G9Zx0ECH....

I'll try to add more details later and I'm sure you'll get a lot of helpful answers from others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
NavyLock wrote:
Okay, so we just went to GenCon and got the starter bundle kit which was awesome. We demoed and then did some Smash and Grabs which was a great time.

However, I just opened the box and there's no real rule book. It came with the tiles, some banners, figures, pen and then a "Quick Start and Lore" book. However, there's no rules book that explains team/army building. My group got a hang of things (using the pen/tablet, understanding the basics) but there are several things that we don't get (including army building, at all) and would like to learn more about. I just downloaded the app and have begun playing with it but didn't notice anything out right. Where can I find more in depth rules?

In addition, can someone give me a run down of the play styles of the different factions?

Will,

I don't have my ipad in front of me, but when you run the game, there should be (used to be, anyway), a link to more indepth rules. You need internet access to get to the link, but it should give you the rules you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Salvato
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slyde wrote:

Will,

I don't have my ipad in front of me, but when you run the game, there should be (used to be, anyway), a link to more indepth rules. You need internet access to get to the link, but it should give you the rules you're looking for.

http://golemarcana.com/golem-arcana-expanded-rules/

An excellent explanation of the nuts and bolts to give you a better idea of how it all works, but you really don't need to know every modifier and special case; that's what the app's for.

Basically, as long as you know which terrain is which, and generally how it affects your golems, you're in good shape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kindt Dalzen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't worry too much about the expanded rules yet. Watch Randy's Army Building video and then maybe try a King of the Hill scenario for some practice with your self built armies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron M.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Check out the official forums at https://golemarcana.com/forum/.
Lots of awesome community and great info there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron M.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
All right, finally made it back over here. I believe you were also asking about play styles for the various groups, so here's a brief summary.

There are 4 types of golems in the game, divided into what we call "arcana": Gudanna, Durani, Zikia, and Urugal.

The Gudanna (blood and sand) golems are a raider style unit. They emphasize mobility and hit-and-run tactics. They typically have moderate armor and dodge values, and most of their limited ranged attacks are intended to soften up their targets for melee. Meanwhile, their melee attacks tend to build into combos, whether between different attacks or "overheating" the same attack through multiple uses (driving up its cost and potentially making it unusable for a few rounds).

The Durani (stone and metal) golems are the ranged armor of the game. Overall, they tend to be slower than the other golems (though not always) but they have most of the more powerful ranged attacks in the game, and many of their knights further enhance those ranged abilities. They also have some of the highest armor values in the game, so when they do get hit they reduce that damage significantly.

The Urugal (bone) golems are brawlers and mana manipulators. They aren't too fast (though typically faster than the Durani) and they don't have a lot of range (with a few notable exceptions), but they have some extremely punishing melee attacks and have high health stats to let them take a beating once they're in the fray. They also tend towards abilities that let them manipulate mana and health.

The Zikia (wood) golems are focused on taking advantage of terrain cover and controller abilities. They're relatively balanced in terms of speed, armor, health, ranged vs. melee, etc. However, they do typically have higher Dodge values than most other golems, making them a bit harder to hit. They have lots of abilities, whether the golems themselves or their knights, that gives them advantages in certain terrain cover. They also have a number of abilities in their golems, knights, and relics that let them move opponents, freeze them in place, reduce their movement, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.