Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Daniels
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife and I joined three folks from the Floodgate Games booth to try out Five-Year Mission, which we finished in about 50 minutes. I tend to like bigger, deeper games than this, but we're also Trekkies and wanted to see what the game was about.

On the whole, we were impressed. I admit I had doubts when we sat down that it would align with my tastes, but the game plays quickly, involves making difficult decisions as a group and has some fun wrinkles, such as a card that forbids the players from communicating until the challenge is resolved. There are also some events that require the players to start a three-minute hourglass timer, which adds tension and ups the challenge.

Five-Year Mission should slot nicely into a smaller-group party game niche, being portable, fast and not eating up much table space. There's solid replayability since the powers on the characters vary (in most cases) between the TOS crew and the TNG gang.

Overall, thumbs up. Worth a purchase if you want a lighter thematic co-op with good production values.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Spalding
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt,

Your thoughts align with mine. I didn't know much about it and we played a game in the Mayfair booth. I was pretty impressed with how quickly it played and how fun it was.

One problem I have with a lot of cooperative games is the "alpha player" issue where one player basically tells the others what to do. So, when we got the card you mentioned that forbids players from talking to each other, I burst out laughing. I think the timer mitigates the alpha player problem too by forcing the pace of play.

We ended up buying it at GenCon. Looking forward to playing it with the family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Steinberg
United States
North Miami Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really glad to hear both of your thoughts on this. I'm a big TNG fan, so when I heard about this game, I was hoping it would be better than the deckbuilder game from years ago that was ok. Now that you both say it's a solid game, and fans will enjoy it all the more, I'm glad I have it on my list of GenWants. Thank you for taking the time to post these up as I know I'm not the only Trekkie who had their reserves to some degree.

Btw, were you able to meet, Marina Sirtis, and possibly have her sign the game for you? Just wondering. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Daniels
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I did not meet Marina personally, as I did not play in the charity event. However, I did at one point get within 10 feet of her and she smiled at me, which is more than enough joy for this life-long Trekkie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Spalding
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, a funny story about this.....

We (my son and I) played the game on Thursday but decided Saturday afternoon to purchase it. I saw there wasn't much of a discount elsewhere so I thought what the heck, we'll get it. I purchase it at the Mayfair booth and get a promo card with Wesley Crusher and Yeoman Rand. Didn't expect that at all. Very cool.

The guy also tells me that with my receipt, Marina Sirtis would sign it for free. Oh, and there she is and there's no line!

I had no idea she'd even sign them or that I'd get the promo card when I decided to buy it. Karma was in my favor that day. I'm not much of a conversationalist, so I basically just said "hi" and "thanks for signing this" but I did get a picture of her signing to post to Facebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TeamAE2L wrote:
Actually, a funny story about this.....

We (my son and I) played the game on Thursday but decided Saturday afternoon to purchase it. I saw there wasn't much of a discount elsewhere so I thought what the heck, we'll get it. I purchase it at the Mayfair booth and get a promo card with Wesley Crusher and Yeoman Rand. Didn't expect that at all. Very cool.

The guy also tells me that with my receipt, Marina Sirtis would sign it for free. Oh, and there she is and there's no line!

I had no idea she'd even sign them or that I'd get the promo card when I decided to buy it. Karma was in my favor that day. I'm not much of a conversationalist, so I basically just said "hi" and "thanks for signing this" but I did get a picture of her signing to post to Facebook.

I'm sure I speak for the group when I say I'd love to see the pic!

#jealous
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Spalding
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make it so!

The line definitely got longer after me, so I had great timing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool! Thank you.

#nowevenmorejealous
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.