GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,471 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

quinn ortmeyer
Canada
Breslau
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was fortunate enough to get into an event of Planeswalkers at Gencon, for a 5 player demo game and then receive a shiny, new copy for myself.
I thouroughly enjoyed the game, I must say. I haden't heard much about it until just recently, but being a fan of heroscape back in the day, it peaked my interest, so when I saw there were still slots available at Gencon , I snatched it up not really knowing what to expect.
I have played magic the gathering only very slightly, with my son. I have a box of cards, we read the rules, played a game or two, and haven't played again. It was ok, but I wasn't drawn in and frankly I don,t want to get into anything collectible. So I have very limited knowledge of Magic the gathering.
Heroscape I have played a bunch, but not for years, because as much as I enjoyed the customaizable terrain, I would usually get carried away with elaborate creations, then once set up, be too tired to play, or dread picking my armies. Expansions are great but when you have hundreds of units to choose from, it can become a chore to pick somewhat balanced armies.
So unfortunately heroscape and all it's expansions have remained packed away, and thought of fondly over the years.
Planeswalkers combines the miniatures and some stats and mechanics from heroscape, along with a small hand of cards to play, with different abilities, and counter abilities and boosts, from Magic the Gathering, as well it has a bit of a summoner wars thing where you have your leader ( a Planeswalkers) that also has combat and bonus abilities that must be protected or else you lose. It really is a great amalgamation of these three games. The rules are fairly light, and we learned the game with about 15 minutes of teaching. Actions are easy enough, either activate and use your Planeswalker or a squad of units. You draw a new card each round, and can play any number cards in your hand each round. But once your stack of cards is depleted there are no more, so you must manage your card hand wisely, as in summoner wars.
I was very impressed with the simplicity yet tactical challenge this game presents. The cards ensure a fair amount of replay, and there are 5 factions in the base game, so lots to get the hang with for now. As each faction has a leader and two squads of units, it is quite manageable, and a game lasts maybe an hour with 5 players. Enough tough decisions to make without getting bogged down in a paralyzingly array of choices.
I highly recommend this for any one wanting a heroscape fix in a much more reasonable time, or just for a lighter miniature based tactical combat game with a bit of magic thrown in for variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hesitated for too long before registering. Couldn't even find them set up - though I did notice that many of the Heroscapers had their copies!

Looking forward to gettng my copy through normal FLGS ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.