Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I really like this game. I was just thinking about it today after I have been reading about the Civil War. I know that the original capital was (or was to be) made in Montgomery, Alabama. Has anyone thought of applying this as a variant to TCW? I wonder if it would change too much. What do you guys think?

Cheers,
Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Walsh
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hoc Spatium Mercede
badge
This is another fine mess you've gotten us into.
mbmbmbmbmb
How many VPs would it cost the CSA in "wounded Virginian pride" each year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Finkenbinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is interesting to contemplate - but there was no realistic way this was going to happen, unless we take Virginia out of the picture entirely. The moment Virginia seceded from the Union, the Confederate government made plans to move the capital. The reason for this also had roots in foreign policy.

Besides, would you WANT to play a Civil War game without Richmond as the capital? No "On to Richmond!" tension?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, I was just wondering. It would be interesting to see the CSA have to work more to defend the West, not having the East be the primary theater. In any case, I was just thinking about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Turansky
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New Orleans should have been the capitol. The population of New Orleans at the start of the war equaled the population of the next 6 largest Confederate cities combined. https://civilwargazette.wordpress.com/2006/12/12/largest-cit...
New Orleans is far from the front lines and therefore immune to capture by the Yankees...

My question is, what difference does it make in game terms which city is the capitol? Each city in a state must be converted, in order to convert that state. Capturing Richmond will yield victory points, but possession of Richmond by itself has no other effect on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, if the Capitol was in the west, do you think Richmond and Virginia would have been defended so much? As I said, I was just wondering if it would matter at all.

Oh, and I picked Montgomery, since that is what the CSA picked before Virginia entered the war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
iamspamus wrote:
So, if the Capitol was in the west, do you think Richmond and Virginia would have been defended so much? As I said, I was just wondering if it would matter at all.

Oh, and I picked Montgomery, since that is what the CSA picked before Virginia entered the war.

Richmond was still the second biggest city in the CSA and Virginia's economy was the largest of any of the CSA states, so it was still crucial whether Jeff Davis spent his time there or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
I like ideas like this. Montgomery was not a great capital. It was chosen due to its central and relatively safe location.

I would say increase Montgomery's VP value by 4. Another possibility for the capital might be Atlanta or Columbia due to their road and rail connections.

Richmond might lose a VP or two in value, but the city was a key factory center and still the capital of the South's most populated and respected state. It would still be an important city and most eastern troops would be sent off to that front by both sides. Indeed, one thing that limited the size of armies in the west was the more primitive rail and road system. Virginia was a leader in railroad creation and that played a key role in the state being so tough for the North to subdue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Turansky
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In game terms, states are more important than cities. You get double the VP's for converting a state. Had Richmond been captured, the "national capitol" would have been moved elsewhere. Don't lose sight of the fact that we are talking about a confederacy of states which was rebelling against an "oppressive central government". Each state's capitol would likely have been more important to the people of that state than any "national capitol". I try to think in terms of separate campaigns in each state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I would much prefer to see Montgomery as the CSA capital than as a WWII Field Marshal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveTu wrote:

New Orleans is far from the front lines and therefore immune to capture by the Yankees...

My question is, what difference does it make in game terms which city is the capitol?

"...immune to capture..." Very funny, Dave!

The difference that it could make might be in changed VP value per city. Take at VP away from Richmond and add it to New Orleans, or Nashville, or Montgomery, or Atlanta, or Charleston, and see what impact that might have on the game.

Besides the political value of Richmond, wasn't that the location of the CSA's most important arms factories?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
Personally, I would much prefer to see Montgomery as the CSA capital than as a WWII Field Marshal.

The only guy to beat Rommel twice...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Turansky
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The difference that it could make might be in changed VP value per city. Take at VP away from Richmond and add it to New Orleans, or Nashville, or Montgomery, or Atlanta, or Charleston, and see what impact that might have on the game.

Absolutely, as the variant king of The Civil War suggests, players can experiment by changing the VP values of cities. This game has always spawned variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
iamspamus wrote:
da pyrate wrote:

The only guy to beat Rommel twice...

Are you serious? With all the advantages Montgomery had my grandmother could have beaten Rommel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everette Robertson
United States
Calhoun
KY
flag msg tools
mbmb
Perhaps, but Ritchie, Auchinleck, and Fredenhall were clearly possessed of lesser military acumen than your grandmother, since they had most of the same advantages that Monty had and still lost.

As for the city of Montgomery, I'm not sure that the game would play much differently. Montgomery is vulnerable to an attack from the sea, so the Confederates would want to defend Mobile Bay--but they already have a strong incentive to do so, both because of Mobile's port factors, and because Alabama is very easy for the Yanks to convert once Mobile falls. Echoing the above posts, I doubt that the Confederates would put much more effort into defending Montgomery, or less into Virginia, than they already do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.