Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few weeks ago I played Argent for the first time at London on Board. It was a four player game and took place in a pub, where the lighting was a bit on the dingy side. We all felt that once the rooms started to fill up it was pretty difficult to keep track of who was where, thanks to the oversized bases and the too-similar coloured tokens attached to them. Despite this, and despite coming last, I loved the game and ordered a copy when I got home. Like the heroine of a romantic comedy observing her feckless doofus soulmate, I thought "I can fix this."

Here's an illustration of the problem:

Before

And here's my solution:

After

Quite a difference. Here's what I've done. I bought some 14mm dowel and some stainless steel washers from a DIY store. On eBay I picked up some adhesive magnets small enough to fit on the bases of the minis. Then I cut the dowel into 8mm lengths and glued a washer onto each one. I snipped the pegs from the bottom of the minis (I was a bit wary of doing this but couldn't see a way round it really) and stuck a magnet onto each one. Then each base got a coat of paint, seven for each player colour. Here's an example of the finished article.

And here's team red in all their glory.

Very pleased with the result, I think it's going to make a big difference to 'board readability' during play, hopefully I can end up with more than one vote next time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Nicely done! Attractive and simple to create.

I can see there being an issue with color-blind visibility on those bases, but if that's not a problem for your local group then it matters a lot less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!

Perhaps you could avoid snipping the pegs by putting the washers on the figures and the magnets on the base?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would need to be bigger washers, I assume (can't remember exactly how big the pegs are). And since you're gluing it all on, you're already past the point of keeping it semi-original. May as well just lop the pegs off and be done with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Entice wrote:
Would need to be bigger washers, I assume (can't remember exactly how big the pegs are). And since you're gluing it all on, you're already past the point of keeping it semi-original. May as well just lop the pegs off and be done with it.

Yeah, as you surmise, the washers weren't quite thick enough to preserve the pegs, they would have needed a trim anyway, so I figured, in for a penny...

Tried them out in a live game for the first time today, they worked a treat. And I won. And the other players liked the game so much we reset for another play straight away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any thoughts to whether square bases with the corners sticking out might make the colours easier to see when in close quarters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played for the first time at home and the color problems were a nightmare. Our dining room lighting is good. The problem is that all of the colors are too close to the mystics/grey. I'm going to have to come up with some sort of fix.

Thanks for the idea. I'll be doing something along these lines. Has anyone tried Fimo modeling clay for something like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.