Subject: Do the increased number of licenses make the game harder? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin

St Louis Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mb
I haven't played this game yet, but Arctic Bounty is currently being shipped to me. But I've watched a few game play videos and I was just wondering - do the extra licenses make it harder for a player to get what they're looking for? Is it thought that these extra licenses make the game more difficult?

i.e. I buy a Tuna license, but now the chances of me getting Tuna boats have been diminished. Or vice versa, I have 3 Cod cards in my hand, but now it takes longer for a Cod license to come up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Moller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The number of licenses for each type are fixed in the deck. You aren't going to play with only SOME of the Tuna licenses. You either have all of them, or none of them. Also, for the regular game, the number of different licenses is pre-determined, so it shouldn't be any different from how you play the base game. Unless you're playing the souped-up version of Fleet, which is only recommended with 5 and 6 player games, unless you want a very long Fleet experience and have the table space for it.

It's been a while since I've played, I hope I'm not messing up something obvious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mospinach wrote:
The number of licenses for each type are fixed in the deck. You aren't going to play with only SOME of the Tuna licenses. You either have all of them, or none of them. Also, for the regular game, the number of different licenses is pre-determined, so it shouldn't be any different from how you play the base game. Unless you're playing the souped-up version of Fleet, which is only recommended with 5 and 6 player games, unless you want a very long Fleet experience and have the table space for it.

It's been a while since I've played, I hope I'm not messing up something obvious.

You only play with 5 types of licenses per play. Choose 5 types of licenses, shuffle them to form the deck, and take those matching boats and shuffle together to form the boat deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mospinach wrote:

You only play with 5 types of licenses per play. Choose all cards from those 5 types of licenses, shuffle them to form the deck, and take those matching boats and shuffle together to form the boat deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Moller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
juanma99 wrote:
mospinach wrote:

You only play with 5 types of licenses per play. Choose all cards from those 5 types of licenses, shuffle them to form the deck, and take those matching boats and shuffle together to form the boat deck.

I'm confused. Is that not what I said, essentially (without including the # of licenses admittedly)? My verbiage was a little wonky, to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin

St Louis Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mb
juanma99 wrote:

Ohhh, okay, I didn't know that. So while Arctic Bounty gives you more diversity to play with, you still only build the deck with a certain number of licenses.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
Correct. Just like the other two respondents have said. I'll use Dominion setup as an analogy, even with lots of expansion, you use only ten types of kingdom cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.