GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,352 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Warhammer Age of Sigmar» Forums » Strategy

Subject: What strategies and tricks have you found? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's been a lot of talk online about how there's no strategy to this game, and it all comes down to a boring grind as one side wears down another - so, why don't we see what we can come up with to counter that. What sort of non-obvious strategies and tactics have you come up with to make the game more interesting?

For me, I think there's some potential for a break through strategy, where you send in your shock troops to pull a squad or two from the center, giving you up to a 6" opening to charge through on the following turn to attack their weaker troops with some hard hitting calvary.

This works thanks to the Pile In rules, where each unit is forced to move 3" to the closest model in melee combat with the unit - and with 2 shock troops moving in, you're looking at a total of 12" of movement (if the original squad was particularly spread out) toward your shock troops, 6" of which is eaten up by the Melee bubble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thats a good strategy; Switch and bait / Hammer and Anvil

i found kind of powerfull the range attack, with lots or artillery you could do several damage for cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
badge
Thank you, to whoever gifted me the Geek Citizenship Recognition badge! You're a pretty cool person, anonymous BGGer!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's some cool stuff you can do. I hope more people give it a chance. Here's a couple of cool takes I've seen around.

This blog article discusses how non-simultaneous attacks, fleeing mechanic, and even flank charges still exist:
Age of Sigmar – Fantasy 9th Ed in Disguise?

This video shows some cool formations you can do:
Age Of Sigmar Has No Tactics?

There's been some cool stuff I've seen happen in the games my friend and I have played as well. We're still learning the new system but there's been cool placement and counters you can do and some stuff that we've done to help out on certain scenarios. There's definitely some depth here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ad1642
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Magius wrote:

This works thanks to the Pile In rules, where each unit is forced to move 3" to the closest model in melee combat with the unit - and with 2 shock troops moving in, you're looking at a total of 12" of movement (if the original squad was particularly spread out) toward your shock troops, 6" of which is eaten up by the Melee bubble.

Just a small clarification, from page 3:

Step 1: When you pile in, you may move
each model in the unit up to 3" towards
the closest enemy model.  is will allow
the models in the unit to get closer to the
enemy in order to attack them.

Cheers,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh... So it does... That does present some interesting decisions on the defending player's part - do they keep their figures in place, knowing that they won't contribute to the combat, but continuing to block the charge lanes to their more important units; or do they close in, evening the odds in the combat against my shock troops - but opening up a charge lane for my cavalry to get in and assassinate their high-value models?

It's an interesting choice - and it may have no good answers for the defender, particularly if I roll enough to take out 3+ models (which, if they were spaced for screening, could open up an even larger gap than if they just piled in).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.