Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I was reading Frostborne from Lou Anders and it features a fictional board game called Thrones and Bones (which by way names the trilogy) based on Tablut.

Can you recommend me books that feature (fictional) board games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks has Azad, a game which dominates the Empire of Azad. Though he makes some in in depth references to it I don't really think there is enough information to make a proper game of it.

Currently the next book on my "Reread Banks" list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest book in A Song of Ice And Fire, A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin has a few incomplete descriptions of Cyvasse including just a bit of a session report. There is a really pretty version of it available on Thingiverse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Morstein
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thud is referred to in several of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels, particularly Thud!. In this case, it's a fictional game that was turned into a real game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bergom
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
"Sometimes it would be nice to be wrong about people." -Commander Samuel Vimes
mbmbmbmbmb
The game Thud is pretty central to the plot of Terry Pratchett's Thud. Granted, the game was based off the fictional game in the book, so I don't know if you'll count it. It's interesting how much the game is used as a metaphor for the plot in the book.

Edit: ninja'd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb has one. According to the FAQ on the author's site, "The Stone Game is imaginary, a game concept based loosely on Go, Fox and Hounds, and several other old games. I never created a specific set of rules for it, though if I close my eyes, I can see the game cloth in my mind and I know the sort of strategies that I'd want it to have."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumaji was originally in a book but now it actually is a board game?? You might find this useful :o)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Trevanian adventure novel Shibumi the strategy game Go is an essential element of the narrative.

Trevanian might be familiar to some Geeks as the author of The Eiger Sanction, which was turned into a movie starring Clint Eastwood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Interstellar Pig is a YA novel about a boy who goes on a family summer vacation and meets 3 strangers who are obsessed with a board game called Interstellar Pig. Not a spoiler: turns out the strangers are actually aliens and the game is a galaxy-wide race to save their planets.

I really enjoyed the book. There is a sequel, which is not as good, but also unnecessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
Interstellar Pig is a YA novel about a boy who goes on a family summer vacation and meets 3 strangers who are obsessed with a board game called Interstellar Pig. Not a spoiler: turns out the strangers are actually aliens and the game is a galaxy-wide race to save their planets.

I really enjoyed the book. There is a sequel, which is not as good, but also unnecessary.

Ha I just popped back quick as I suddenly remembered interstellar Pig but someone got there first lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
The Glass Bead Game by Herman Hesse...it can be heavy going but a profound book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
PKD's The Game Players of Titan features a game called Bluff, which IIRC resembles a hybrid of Monopoly and Poker. (Again, IIRC, dice rolls are secret, allowing players to move to whatever space they wish, unless the move is challenged in some way and the player is forced to reveal the actual dice roll.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aussie550 wrote:
The Glass Bead Game by Herman Hesse...it can be heavy going but a profound book.

R. Wayne Schmittberger designed a mancala variant using this name. I don't believe it's true to the game as described by Hesse, but I hear it's pretty good.

There's also klin zha, a triangular chess-like found in John M. Ford's 1984 Star Trek novel The Final Reflection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a recommendation as a book to read - but one of the Horrid Henry books has a fantasy game with dragons that sounds like it was heavily based on molopoly. The description of the characters attempts at cheating is entertaining for a kids book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Third Reich: A Novel
by Roberto Bolaño

The Third Reich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
havoc110 wrote:
PKD's The Game Players of Titan features a game called Bluff, which IIRC resembles a hybrid of Monopoly and Poker. (Again, IIRC, dice rolls are secret, allowing players to move to whatever space they wish, unless the move is challenged in some way and the player is forced to reveal the actual dice roll.)

Is there an actual game with this mechanic? Because that sounds like it could be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Dunn
United States
Glenpool
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Jetan from Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom/John Carter of Mars book series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
The Queen's Gambit, by Walter Tevix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ingersoll
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like D&D, one of the old Dark Sun books (The Outcast, book one of the Tribe of One trilogy) featured a gambling dice game that used the six traditional D&D dice (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and d20) in an interesting way. I believe the relevant excerpt was also featured in Dragon Magazine at the time. The game (and the magazine excerpt) was called "Hawke's Gambit" after the trilogy's author Simon Hawke.

As a bonus, the rules are simple enough to actually adapt to the real world since we obviously have the necessary dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Patterson
Germany
Griesheim
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

"Alice Through the Looking Glass" is heavily based on the game of chess. Not a fictional game, I know, but you do have fictional in parentheses so I assume actual board games are welcome too

Of course, lots of books feature chess, but not so many feature the playing pieces as characters.

(And if you stretch your definition of board games to include card games, you can start with the first book, "Alice in Wonderland").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The empty city features the Icehouse

the first edition of Barbarossa was related to the book the riddle master by patrica mckillip (not sure of spelling of her last name)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Massey
Wales
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman is mentioned in one of the Wild-card books (but I have no recollection of which one blush)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:
The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks has Azad, a game which dominates the Empire of Azad.

Actually there a number of board games mentioned or played in that book - one that is described quite well is "Stricken". (There's also another related game called "Possession".)

(As a footnote: Elon Musk named two of SpaceX's drone ships Just Read The Instructions and Of Course I Still Love You, after ships from that same novel. I still treasure my signed copy of it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Golden Witchbreed (Mary Gentle) describes a playable game called "Ochmir" - see https://books.google.co.za/books?id=wgtQbDBs_GYC&pg=PT275&lp... for the description.

I remember actually making a set, but don't remember being able to find an opponent to play it. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Miller
Wales
Swansea
Neath Port Talbot
flag msg tools
badge
I iz a soot sprite.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumanji started out as a 1981 book by Chris Van Allsburg. There is a sequel called Zathura which also features a board game.

Mazes and Monsters by Rona Jaffe features a game loosely based on Dungeons & Dragons. It was later made into a (not very good) film starring Tom Hanks.

Hobgoblin by John Coyne features an RPG based on Irish mythology.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.