GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,066 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Oh God, I hate this game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
The spirit of BGG as expressed by Esgaldil: "We lose nothing by trying to be helpful"
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a dream team of Citizen Charlie, Jacqueline, Jim, and Lily against Azathoth on easy mode. Things started out really well. Encounters are seldom neutral, you usually either get something good or something bad happens. The investigators were winning all their encounters even when only a single die was rolled. Jacqueline got Plumb the Void early and Jim was loaded for bear including a card that gave monsters a maximum damage of 1. Lily was also armed and dangerous but hadn't been able to use her passive ability yet.

The Wind Walker came out to play. Jim was able to move to the spot in two turns and Lily got teleported in. We had been keeping the regular monsters and the number of gates under control. Then suddenly everything turned to ****. The Tick Tock men wanted to play too and Jacqueline got delayed so we couldn't teleport over. It seemed like everyone got tied up. Then we all lost 3 health and 3 sanity which killed Jacqeline in Arkham. Withers came in as a fine substitute but this caused enough delay that we lost all our clues and all of the clues on the board disappeared. I had to rethink my strategy since having Jacqueline send clues telepathically was no longer an option.

But it was not yet hopeless. After that awful phase when we lost Jacqueline it looked like we were back in the game. People were mostly healed up; Charlie got rid of his curse and most of the investigators got blessed; Lily had the City Guide which gave everyone who was with her +1 to all tests in a city (except other world encounters). She made a great team with Jim who gave +1 in combat. We were down to the last mystery and the doom track was only at 6. We needed to pass 4 research encounters to win the game. There were at least four clue tokens on the board but there were more gates and monsters now (no Mi-gos). We ignored the monsters and gates and we managed to put 3 of our investigators on top of clue tokens. We got 2 out of 3. Then our night of reckoning came which balanced out all the good rolls we had at the beginning. The omen track moved and we lost two doom then every reckoning effect that increased doom (monsters and an artifact) fired off all at once and the world was devoured!

I stayed up half the night and the end result was the destruction of our planet. I can't wait to play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Braun
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games I hate to play because they take so long with little payout (Axis and Allies, I'm looking at you!)... some games I know going in there's little chance of winning, but dang it! this might be the one!

I'm like a chronic poor gambler that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One does not face Azathoth without Norman or Trish.
Akachi would been a good pick as well (as she needs charlie's setup and can close gate thus preventing perdition).

Another hint for Az, avoid finishing a mistery unless you have some clues to help on the next.

Jim and Lily aren't very good against Azathoth, you need early investigators, which they aren't. Perhaps it would have been optimal to get some rituals for Jim while charlie handed a lore asset to him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
The spirit of BGG as expressed by Esgaldil: "We lose nothing by trying to be helpful"
mbmbmbmbmb
desocupado wrote:
Perhaps it would have been optimal to get some rituals for Jim while charlie handed a lore asset to him.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Jim was stocked up on spells and already had a +2 Lore improvement. He even had Blessing of Isis. He was a spell-meister. The problem was that Tick-Tock Men came out right after Wind Walker and then Jacqueline (with Plumb the Void) got bumped off even though she had only -1 health when everyone lost 3 health and 3 sanity. It was impossible to move any of my fighters to the other side of the globe in time to prevent losing all the clues.

The reason I posted this session was because of the quick turnaround between having everything under control to having basically lost the game all within one turn. I'm not claiming I played optimally. For me, the fun of the game is learning how to do it better the next time. I appreciate your suggestions.

At one point I had 3 investigators in Tokyo with a gate and 3 monsters. Jim's Shrivel spell backfired so he had to fight all 3 monsters during his action phase. This was great because he was the fighter and couldn't get hurt much. He killed off 2 out of 3 before the other investigators had to face them. He was also getting his +1 for combat and Lily's +1 for being in a city (City Guide).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Hebert
Canada
Granby
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my butt kicked by Azathoth also...but i pick my characters randomly...I almost won...needed one more turn....but couldn't make it...Damn you Azathoth!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azathoth is the only Elder I beat for now.

My love for Eldritch Horror is so great that I only try to play it once a month... at the most ... so the solo experience stays epic with a glass of whine and 2 investigators.

EH is hardly a game, it is a novel you read in a monthly or bi monthly series.

As the expansions grow there is years of enjoyment really. After 7 months and around 5 sessions I am still with the basic box. Enjoy the ride.

I would hate to play this game with people who view it as a game with "just pulling cards and throwing dice".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Hebert
Canada
Granby
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife thinks i'm crazy when I play EH...I talk too myself alot it seems..lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benny Bosmans, I really admire you for your self-restraint !

Here is wishing you many years of wonderful EH novels !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United Kingdom
Mold
Clwyd
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Voodoo257 wrote:
My wife thinks i'm crazy when I play EH...I talk too myself alot it seems..lol

Thank the gods! It's not just me that does the whole talk to myself whilst playing EH. My wife stares at me from behind her book like I'm trying to summon Cthulhu himself.

I am not alone.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ivan brutus
Denmark
flag msg tools
I read all the narrative out loud and have all sorts of ambient music and soundscapes going on while playing. It really peaks when the soundscapes and the tension from the narrative hits a common tone by coinsidence. I have looked over my shoulder many times just to make sure I did not summon something unspeakable in the depths of this great games immersion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Shrugs
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I feel your pain, OP (er... even if it was two years ago blush )

Had a two-investigator game against Azathoth recently in which I solved the first two mysteries within the first three turns. Couldn't believe how cruisy it was. Akachi and Mandy zipping around nabbing Clues and closing gates left, right and centre. Omen of Devastation? Pah! Pushover!

Then the Hound of Tindalos appeared in Tokyo. And proceeded to kill off not one, not two, but three investigators over the course of the next horrible hour. Even William Yorick the gravedigger and his +5 Str alchemical acid card failed to dispatch it. Cue many desperate attempts to retreat Doom and claw back the Clues lost with the deaths while the Omen relentlessly advanced.

The game came right down to the wire with Yorick trekking through the Siberian wilderness, one space away from solving the third mystery, critically low on health and sanity but carrying the needed two Clues in his pocket while Doom hovered at 1... when off in the distance he heard a dismal noise:

Awoooo!
zombie

The only way he survived the Hound's attack was to spend both his Clues on rerolls to prevent his death from triggering the end of the world (leaving him at Health 1 and Sanity 1). He and Tony Morgan could then do nothing but await the inevitable one Mythos phase later.

One single, solitary Hound killed three investigators, neutralised the fourth at the stroke of doom and cost me the otherwise easiest game of Eldritch Horror I've ever had. Well played, Azathoth. Well played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.