Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
Obligitory Smart-Ass Comment Here
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
In my first 2 player game... I ended up playing all of my cards using nearly all of my gems by the 3rd round. So, during the auction I had 2 options... buy a card I don't want to discard for 2 gems, or just pass and collect 3 gems. But then I have no cards for the development phase, so I can only pass... again.

We felt like we were missing something. Can anyone offer advice?

thanks

B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
You should've played more economy (i.e. gem generating) cards. You didn't miss anything, it's a lesson for your next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Were you missing that you should buy/play some cards with powers that they give you more gems? Were you missing that when you put down a card that forms a gem circle with the level below it, you get that gem right away? (We missed that.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
Were you missing that you should buy/play some cards with powers that they give you more gems? Were you missing that when you put down a card that forms a gem circle with the level below it, you get that gem right away? (We missed that.)

So did we.

Best to look for as many gems as possible on the first two levels. Then look for cards that produce...cards. DON'T use all your start cards quickly! Hold onto them until you have a number of good options in your hand (build your hand before you build your pyramid). Since there are 3 development opportunities each turn, you will have a total of 36 development chances in 12 turns - and you only need to place 15 cards total to get a level 5. If you play for 2 level 5's you will need a minimum of 20 deployments. So, therefore, you have some time to collect a few cards and gems before beginning your pyramid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cherry
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played again, and made sure my first batch of cards gave infinite gems. This worked better, but I still ran out of cards too quickly. But at least I didn't feel completely lost this time. I did lose again, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Frank said, there are many more card play opportunities than card acquisition opportunities. Part of the strategy in this game is deciding when to play your cards. I think the typical strategy will be to gather a few cards, then play several cards in rapid succession. Then gather a few more cards, and repeat. The only times you need to play a card are:
- To get more gems for the auction
- To get more gems for playing subsequent cards
- To build a base level, allowing you to play a card on a higher level.

So, try to gather a set of cards that work well together, then play them all on the same turn. See if this helps with the "running out of cards" feeling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cherry
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game is good, with a really simple ruleset.

Its a bit of a shame that its so easy to "screw up" in your first few times. Its like playing monopoly and figuring out that if you don't get Connecticut Ave before St James Place, you cant win

wow... brainwave... fix Monopoly for gamers. E.g., properties give new abilities... modify dice rolls, etc. I love tweaking existing games to do new things.

lol. thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.