John S.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
As the title states, I mostly play solo. I have all of the games outside of Arrow, which I have no interest in picking up. I do have some interest in this set, however, would the new game mechanics work well in a solo setting?

I generally play solo or solo crisis mode. I created a super deck for when I play using cards from all sets and a great many of the cards across all sets work just fine for solo play, but with the new XP mechanic introduced in some of the Forever Evil cards (Deadshot and Catwoman for example), I've found that those cards really don't mesh well in a solo setting. I've considered using the XP as a way to stop the timer but in crisis solo, the cards are basically worthless to me.

Having typed that, how is Teen Titans for solo players? Should I pick it up or wait for the next expansion. Any and all input is appreciated, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no experience with solo but I can tell you that Teen Titans integrates pretty well; probably a bit better than Forever Evil, though you do have to use some judgment regarding which cards will fill that role best. But that's as usual when building a large custom deck.

For reference, I play each set one or two times on its own and then incorporate it into my custom deck. I usually play 2P with the standard rules, but my combined deck. Teen Titans has been a good set for making additions to that deck.

(Arrow cards look dumb as hell, but there's one amazingly cool card I can't resist putting in my master deck.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree with you about the Forever Evil XP mechanic in Crisis play. It just does not work.

Teen Titans is different. Ongoing cards and the "control" rules will really help Crisis play. Think about how many times you try to muster resources but come up a bit short on Power. The new mechanic will let you save up that Power so you can unleash it when you're within striking distance of the Super-Villain. Plus, there are (currently) no Crisis cards that specifically target them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
(Arrow cards look dumb as hell, but there's one amazingly cool card I can't resist putting in my master deck.)

Exactly why I haven't purchased them. I'm not a huge 'art ruins the game' type of guy. But I'm just not overly huge on crossover packs with show art. Feels gimmicky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
I play this solo many times and I love the interaction of the cards from Teen Titans.

I added in from FE just a few of the villain cards to the main deck as they have some nice power if you can get them out with Crisis Black Canary.

I was very disappointed in Arrow and only will include the Location into the main crisis solo deck once I paste over some better more comic artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I've played the Titans solo and the Ongoing ability makes it play really well. The only problem solo is there is no mechanic to remove your Ongoing cards so you always have an advantage.

My solution is to add about 6 Vulnerability cards into the main deck. The are used as such

- Write on 2 of them... Super-Villain attack. Remove 1 Ongoing card in play.
- Write on 2 of them... Villains attack. +2 to the cost of Super-Villain. Remove card when this Super-Villain is defeated.
- Write on 2 of them... Super-Villain and Villain attack.

This is a fix to balance out the Ongoing cards in solitaire.

Also there is a Forever Evil specific fan-Made solitaire rules that play specifically with that game. Give it a shot. I think you maybe pleasantly surprised.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1283921/solo-variant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Very interesting re: Forevil Rules, I'm checking into those now.

I appreciate the feedback. I think I'll end up picking this set up if it's still available at my local comic shop when I stop in tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
freedfromthematrix2 wrote:
I've played the Titans solo and the Ongoing ability makes it play really well. The only problem solo is there is no mechanic to remove your Ongoing cards so you always have an advantage.

My solution is to add about 6 Vulnerability cards into the main deck. The are used as such

- Write on 2 of them... Super-Villain attack. Remove 1 Ongoing card in play.
- Write on 2 of them... Villains attack. +2 to the cost of Super-Villain. Remove card when this Super-Villain is defeated.
- Write on 2 of them... Super-Villain and Villain attack.

This is a fix to balance out the Ongoing cards in solitaire.

Also there is a Forever Evil specific fan-Made solitaire rules that play specifically with that game. Give it a shot. I think you maybe pleasantly surprised.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1283921/solo-variant

I should clarify...

...when it says "Super-Villain attacks" means to do the Super-Villian's First Appearance-Attack. Then remove 1 Ongoing card.

...when it says "Villians attack" any attack listed on the Villian's card in the Line-Up is carried out against all players in the game. Then place the card underneath the Super-Villian to show he gets a +2 to cost.

...when it says "Super-Villian and Villian attack" carry out the Super-Villian's First Appearance-Attack and Villian's attack against all players.

Once these cards appear carry out what they say then remove them from the Line-Up and keep drawing until you have 5 cards.

I'm glad you find the Forever Evil Solitaire interesting. I look forward to your feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I like the idea of adding weakness cards into the main deck, that when added to the lineup trigger attacks against the player. A little like the master strikes in a sense from Legendary.

I picked up Teen Titans on the way home from work. I'm pouring over the forever evil solo rules now and will sort the cards out tonight in hopes of getting a game in on Thursday evening. I'll report back on how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.