Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a better game? Will this more or less replace MachiKoro as a more gamers game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hudson
United States
Jonesboro
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind I have only played Dice City once...

I think this wouldn't replace macho koro for me. There is more interaction in Machi Koro than Dice City. In Machi Koro what someone else rolls can affect you. Dice City really felt like a solitaire game to me. Could have just been my play group though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Vidalis
Greece
Ilioupoli
Attiki Greece
flag msg tools
Come and play with us!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The interaction at Machi Koro its a kind of random. You just take the card and has effect when someone roll that number and its up the card that every other players have etc.

The interaction at Dice city is up to you. You can block other players good card/good dice spot and the other player need to spend action to fix the ''problem''. Also you can get first some good card in your turn before the opponent.
This is not so easy at Machi Koro without th expansion.
Of course you can play dice city as a solo game but you cant avoid the interaction from the other player.

My point
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help but think that Dice City will be much better. There seems not to be anything broken like there is in Machi when only playing with the base game. Seems to me like there is lot more strategy to Dice City. I do admit to only one game of Dice City so my opinion might not be the most reliable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
I can't help but think that Dice City will be much better. There seems not to be anything broken like there is in Machi when only playing with the base game. Seems to me like there is lot more strategy to Dice City. I do admit to only one game of Dice City so my opinion might not be the most reliable.
I was hot for Machi Koro and played a few games and now I am not so sure. I do have the expansion and it does play better with it. Does not appear that the next expansion will improve it much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gallagher
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Machi Koro is barely even a game. This at least features the ability to move your dice around as well as use them in a number of ways. You can disrupt your opponent either by disabling their buildings or snatching their resources. It offers something closer to a genuine engine building game on a lighter, more accessible level.

I'm excited for this!

Machi Koro is so "on rails" it isn't even funny. Kind of a poor excuse for a game, even with expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Fiedler
Australia
Colebee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice City actually reminded me of https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/99312/feudality more than Machi Koro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rauenzahn
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Everybody to the Limit!
mbmbmbmbmb
ReqMan wrote:
Dice City actually reminded me of https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/99312/feudality more than Machi Koro.

I feel the same way, which is why I'm not buying Dice City. I don't like Machi Koro either though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ReqMan wrote:

Could you elaborate on the comparison? I just bought Dice City, and I'm enjoying it, and I am considering picking up Feudality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice city replaced machi Koro for us. Atleast in Dice city you alway's have interesting things to do with your dice.
In dice city you can buy building that actually give you a strategy.

Machi Koro is boring if your numbers don't get rolled and one landscape card of the expansion breacks the game completly.

Dice City is way better then machi koro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wolverine1977 wrote:

In dice city you can buy building that actually give you a strategy.

Machi Koro is boring if your numbers don't get rolled and one landscape card of the expansion breacks the game completly.

Dice City is way better then machi koro.

I taught my non-gamer wife Machi Koro on Dec 23, and even without Dice City to compare it to yet, she thought Machi Koro was basically meaningless.

I asked and got Dice City from her for Christmas - a gamble, since I'd never played it - and we both thought it was quite a bit of fun. Especially for being quite light and short.

Now I just have to try Feudality...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl G
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say Dice City is a gamer's game. It feels like Castles of Burgundy lite. I do enjoy it though. Machi Koro has been played a lot at our house and Dice City gives you a few more choices on your turn. Rather than collecting coins, you collect different resources. You're still at the mercy of the dice, but there are more ways to use them than in MK. MK can be more exciting in a slot machine sort of way, where you can win big even on someone else's turn (kind of like Catan). It keeps you engaged the whole time.

Dice City can feel less mean (even though you can definitely can attack each other.) It feel like a huge setback in MK when you get all your money stolen. In Dice City, when someone attacks one of your buildings, they only cost you one of your dice to re-activate the card.

MK can outstay its welcome sometimes. It takes a while to get your engine going. Dice City tends to move a little faster because you can get goods right away.

If you want something meatier, go for Castles of Burgundy. It's awesome. Dice City is certainly fun and fast and plays well. MK is easy to learn and has exciting moments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

Someone suggested to try a variant in MK where 8 of the initial 10 cards have an activation of 6 or less. Also, make sure there are never more than 2 purple cards as well (all of this assumes you have expansion).

This makes sure it is easy to build an engine and you are not stuck early just rolling dice and nothing happening.

Give it a try that way.

I have DC as well and I don't think I ever want to play in 4 (and maybe not 3 as well).

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.