Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Tides of Time» Forums » Rules

Subject: The Maze of the Damned and The Sky Pillars rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Buhr
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I love this game. Brilliant for such a quick game.

Both "The Maze of the Damned" and "The Sky Pillars" cards have similar text.

"The Maze of the Damned"
Card Text:
For a set of Palace Icon, Stronghold Icon, Garden Icon, Library Icon, and Temple Icon gain 13.

"The Sky Pillars"
Card Text:
For each set of Library Icon and Garden Icon gain 5.

By the card text, I would think you score the suits. However, if I look at the rules text.


"The Maze of the Damned"
Rules Text:
If you have a set of SUITS consisting of Palace Icon, Stronghold Icon, Garden Icon, Library Icon, and Temple Icon you gain 13VPs.

"The Sky Pillars"
Rules Text:
For each set of CARDS consisting of Library Icon and Garden Icon you gain 5 VPs.

The text on the cards is identical. In looking at the card text, "The Roof of the World" would double both of these cards in scoring. In looking at the rules text, "The Maze of the Damned" would be doubled by "The Roof of the World" and "The Sky Pillars" would not because it doubles suits and not cards.

Is this a misprint or am I missing something. Is "The Maze of the Damned" only scored once because it says "a set"?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In this game, are not suits and cards interchangeable terms due to the fact that all the cards only have one suit?

I may be missing something too, especially since I don't have a copy in hand yet. ninja
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding:

The Maze of the Damned: Specifying "a set" (singular) and suits rather than cards tells me that this card can score once at most each round. Adding a second set of cards through Roof of the World will not trigger it a second time.

The Sky Pillars: Each round you score 5 VPs for each Library + Garden Pair. Roof of the World doubles apply.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Buhr
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Quote:
The Sky Pillars: Each round you score 5 VPs for each Library + Garden Pair. Roof of the World doubles apply.


I am not sure that is accurate because Sky Pillars specifically says each set of cards and Roof of the World doubles suits. Now I would say that is an accurate statement about The Mana Well because it says For each set of suits.

I'm not trying to be difficult. I am just trying to get some clarity because in my initial games the player who secured The Roof of the World was dominant. I was that player most of the time and my opponent was just as dominant when he had it.

Thanks for all the input. It is much appreciated.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Piechaczek
Poland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
My understanding:

The Maze of the Damned: Specifying "a set" (singular) and suits rather than cards tells me that this card can score once at most each round. Adding a second set of cards through Roof of the World will not trigger it a second time.

The Sky Pillars: Each round you score 5 VPs for each Library + Garden Pair. Roof of the World doubles apply.


This is the correct understanding.

The word "cards" in the Sky Pillars description wasn't meant to be misleading. It was suppose to act as a synonym for the "suits".

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a missprint in the rules for Sky Pillars. Good catch! The only card in the game that counts "cards" is the Molehill. Everything else counts symbols instead.

As for Maze, it only scores once, and that is intentional. The other two that score for sets score for each set.

Thirdspaced wrote:
I love this game. Brilliant for such a quick game.

Both "The Maze of the Damned" and "The Sky Pillars" cards have similar text.

"The Maze of the Damned"
Card Text:
For a set of Palace Icon, Stronghold Icon, Garden Icon, Library Icon, and Temple Icon gain 13.

"The Sky Pillars"
Card Text:
For each set of Library Icon and Garden Icon gain 5.

By the card text, I would think you score the suits. However, if I look at the rules text.


"The Maze of the Damned"
Rules Text:
If you have a set of SUITS consisting of Palace Icon, Stronghold Icon, Garden Icon, Library Icon, and Temple Icon you gain 13VPs.

"The Sky Pillars"
Rules Text:
For each set of CARDS consisting of Library Icon and Garden Icon you gain 5 VPs.

The text on the cards is identical. In looking at the card text, "The Roof of the World" would double both of these cards in scoring. In looking at the rules text, "The Maze of the Damned" would be doubled by "The Roof of the World" and "The Sky Pillars" would not because it doubles suits and not cards.

Is this a misprint or am I missing something. Is "The Maze of the Damned" only scored once because it says "a set"?
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Buhr
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Perfect. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Hoyt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
@Chevee, Thanks for this clarification! The text on the Mana Well is correct, and it behaves like the Sky Pillar I assume: it is possible to get multiple sets of palace, temple, and stronghold to score the 9 points multiple times.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cole
Wales
flag msg tools
Yeah this confused us a bit as well.
Are we right in saying if you have 2 blue cards and 1 green and have the sky pillars (5 points for each blue and green set) this would score 10vp ?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
boardknowmore wrote:
Yeah this confused us a bit as well.
Are we right in saying if you have 2 blue cards and 1 green and have the sky pillars (5 points for each blue and green set) this would score 10vp ?


No. The 1 Garden can't be used twice to score the same card. You would have to have 2 Temples and 2 Gardens to score 10
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
I feel like I'm missing something really obvious, but do "set" cards "use up" symbols in your tableau?

For example, if I have The Maze of the Damned and Mana Well, is it possible to score both with no other bonuses? You have seven cards in play at the end of the game but if symbols can only be used once per scoring round it would be impossible to score both cards as they require eight symbols total. If symbols can be used once per scoring card then it's possible to score both cards.

I really have no idea which is correct - does anyone know the answer? Do I have to choose between 9 or 13 points, or can I pull off 22 points for both?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
I feel like I'm missing something really obvious, but do "set" cards "use up" symbols in your tableau?

For example, if I have The Maze of the Damned and Mana Well, is it possible to score both with no other bonuses? You have seven cards in play at the end of the game but if symbols can only be used once per scoring round it would be impossible to score both cards as they require eight symbols total. If symbols can be used once per scoring card then it's possible to score both cards.

I really have no idea which is correct - does anyone know the answer? Do I have to choose between 9 or 13 points, or can I pull off 22 points for both?


Symbols aren't "used."
Yes, you would score both.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Random_Person wrote:
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
I feel like I'm missing something really obvious, but do "set" cards "use up" symbols in your tableau?

For example, if I have The Maze of the Damned and Mana Well, is it possible to score both with no other bonuses? You have seven cards in play at the end of the game but if symbols can only be used once per scoring round it would be impossible to score both cards as they require eight symbols total. If symbols can be used once per scoring card then it's possible to score both cards.

I really have no idea which is correct - does anyone know the answer? Do I have to choose between 9 or 13 points, or can I pull off 22 points for both?


Symbols aren't "used."
Yes, you would score both.


Thanks. I think it's just odd wording, but the reply following yours in this thread was confusing me by saying "all cards are scored simultaneously". It makes more sense in light of this new clarification.

Another stupid question from me - What constitutes a set?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.