Subject: Venda - Hand Axe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lothar Kothe
Germany
Essen-Kettwig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The second Fast Action says in the second sentence: "Place any Shield cards in your (H) on top of your deck.

Question: Since Venda has no Shield in her deck, she can never play this Fast Action?
Or can she play this card every time and discard a Shield only if she has one - so whatever?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it is the way axes work. Fengray has the same axe in his deck as well and he has a shield in his deck. So you could ask the same question for Fengray here - is he not allowed to use his axe if he cannot discard a shield?

The card's text says:

"Place ANY Shield cards in your hero area on top of your deck"

ANY in this context means "IF there are any shield cards.."

SO as of now you can completely ignore this text with reference to Venda (not so in the case of Fengray) as I see no way how Venda should be able to get a shield in her deck, but this may be an idea for an upcoming expansion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Choong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
I guess it is the way axes work. Fengray has the same axe in his deck as well and he has a shield in his deck. So you could ask the same question for Fengray here - is he not allowed to use his axe if he cannot discard a shield?

The card's text says:

SO as of now you can completely ignore this text with reference to Venda (not so in the case of Fengray) as I see no way how Venda should be able to get a shield in her deck, but this may be an idea for an upcoming expansion...

As I play other card games, many of them clarify the word "Any" include the number zero. So technically speaking, Venda can play the Fast Action on her Axe cards.

If a Shield is needed to trigger the Fast Action, the text should clearly state "Place at least 1 Shield card,..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brighknight_216 wrote:
Mixo wrote:

The card's text says:

As I play other card games, many of them clarify the word "Any" include the number zero. So technically speaking, Venda can play the Fast Action on her Axe cards.

If a Shield is needed to trigger the Fast Action, the text should clearly state "Place at least 1 Shield card,..."

Błażej has posted and I think it is in the rules that you complete as many of the ability conditions as possible , no choice but if they cant be completed you ignore them unless they are a minimum retirement e.g. at Range 2.

So if a Time card only has an event that effects Divine cards and you don't have any it won't affect you. You cannot discard something you do not have.
Thematically you are dropping the shield so you can use the axe more effectively. Some of the axes have two actions one where you drop the shield and one where you don't.

You then judge if it is worth keeping for defense phase , if you have an ability to draw it after the attack or wait till the end of your turn or maybe longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. G. Kubacki
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, the Fast Actions of axes (which belong to the B category restriction wise, so they are lighter weapons) are off-hand attacks. So, if you are resolving them, you have to drop your shield (used with off-hand). If you have no shield, there's nothing to drop.

So, the "Discard Any Shield cards" indeed means that if you have a Shield in your Hero Area, you need to discard it (or them, if you have multiple, which is - now at least - i impossible). Otherwise, you're good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.