11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Planning to make a gaming table rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
GnG Ice
msg tools
Hey guys!

I'm planning to make a gaming table but after doing some research, I find myself with a few more questions. I'll just throw them out and see what you guys think.

1. Why are most gaming tables "recessed"? ie, most of them have a substantial "lip" around the edges. I can see the point for gaming tables that double as dining tables when not in use, but are there other reasons?

2. What material is best used on the gaming surface? I have made a simple board and wrapped it in felt but over time, the felt tended to clump up into balls and now I've got a very unsightly surface. I'm guessing not all "felt" are created equal?

3. I am planning to make a 6"x4" gaming table for use with board games, RPGs, and FFG's X-Wing and Armada. However, due to space limitations (small house), I cannot have it as a permanent fixture so I am thinking of just making the board surface and using either sawhorses or TV dinner tables as the feet/support for the table. I had initially planned to make a separate 6"x3" sheet as the Armada play surface but using painted MDF.... well, I don't like the way the dice clatter on that. Felt was suggested but again, I've got problems with felt. What other materials can I use?

Thanks in advance for any help!

PS. I am based in the UK so suggestions for any specific products that are available here would be great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Davies
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
Y Ddraig Goch Ddyry Gychwyn.
badge
Let the count down to UKGE begin.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested to see what you end up making.

My dining/gaming table is glass and has what looks like the start of a crack in the middle (I'm hoping it is just a scratch). If I do need to replace it I would be looking at getting/making a proper gaming table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jono D
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd be interested in the responses!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Marana
Arizona
flag msg tools
Pax Magnifica Bellum Gloriosum
badge
In Fancy Llama we Trust
mbmbmbmbmb
GnG Ice wrote:

2. What material is best used on the gaming surface? I have made a simple board and wrapped it in felt but over time, the felt tended to clump up into balls and now I've got a very unsightly surface. I'm guessing not all "felt" are created equal?

I had initially planned to make a separate 6"x3" sheet as the Armada play surface but using painted MDF.... well, I don't like the way the dice clatter on that. Felt was suggested but again, I've got problems with felt. What other materials can I use?

Look into neoprene for your surface. Will keep you from getting the clatter. We have a nice 4' x 5' sized piece we use for playing on an already existing table, but I'm building a table with a 3' x 5' play area myself and will be lining the surface with neoprene.

If that doesn't suit your fancy, look up speed cloth like would be used on poker tables. It doesn't pill as much as felt does and should help reduce the clatter if you still wanted to use MDF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meaker VI
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GnG Ice wrote:
Hey guys!

I'm planning to make a gaming table but after doing some research, I find myself with a few more questions. I'll just throw them out and see what you guys think.

1. Why are most gaming tables "recessed"? ie, most of them have a substantial "lip" around the edges. I can see the point for gaming tables that double as dining tables when not in use, but are there other reasons?

The lip is to conceal the table, to keep dice/figures/etc corralled, and to help keep your hands from disturbing the board/game surface.

Quote:
3. I am planning to make a 6"x4" gaming table for use with board games, RPGs, and FFG's X-Wing and Armada. However, due to space limitations (small house), I cannot have it as a permanent fixture so I am thinking of just making the board surface and using either sawhorses or TV dinner tables as the feet/support for the table. I had initially planned to make a separate 6"x3" sheet as the Armada play surface but using painted MDF....

Yikes, that's actually a pretty tiny table! 6" x 4" is like... smaller than a dinner plate.

Seriously though, 4'-0" is about the limit of useable width on a rectangular or oblong table, 6'-0" is an ok length. 3'-6" might be a better width if it'll fit. Measure the area your table will occupy, then:
*Subtract 2'-6" for one side that you will use only to sit at the table
*Subtract 4'-0" for any side that is a major access way to another portion of your home (i.e.: connecting living to kitchen via dining) or if your table's room is entered by a single doorway and isn't open on any side
*Subtract 3'-0" for any remaining side so you have room to walk around seated people to get to all the seating.

If you don't have space for a game table all the time, definitely build a table with the recessed 'vault' so you can cover it to eat! The next best solution is probably something mounted to a ceiling or wall that drops or folds down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GnG Ice wrote:
Hey guys!

3. I am planning to make a 6"x4" gaming table for use with board games, RPGs, and FFG's X-Wing and Armada. However, due to space limitations (small house), I cannot have it as a permanent fixture so I am thinking of just making the board surface and using either sawhorses or TV dinner tables as the feet/support for the table. I had initially planned to make a separate 6"x3" sheet as the Armada play surface but using painted MDF.... well, I don't like the way the dice clatter on that. Felt was suggested but again, I've got problems with felt. What other materials can I use?

PS. I am based in the UK so suggestions for any specific products that are available here would be great!

I've created a blog with a step-by-step on how to build a Geek Chic style table.

http://byogamingtable.blogspot.com/2015/06/build-your-own-ge...

Plus I have a thread also covering the progress.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1385397/how-make-your-own-ge...

These two sites should answer most of your questions and also give you some woodworking and construction process details.

I hope these help!

Joseph

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
You will probably find this thread of interest.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/18841874#18841874
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Professormole wrote:
GnG Ice wrote:

I had initially planned to make a separate 6"x3" sheet as the Armada play surface but using painted MDF.... well, I don't like the way the dice clatter on that. Felt was suggested but again, I've got problems with felt. What other materials can I use?

Look into neoprene for your surface. Will keep you from getting the clatter. We have a nice 4' x 5' sized piece we use for playing on an already existing table, but I'm building a table with a 3' x 5' play area myself and will be lining the surface with neoprene.

If that doesn't suit your fancy, look up speed cloth like would be used on poker tables. It doesn't pill as much as felt does and should help reduce the clatter if you still wanted to use MDF.

You could also look into Gripmats. I have a 2'x3' table with one in a shallow inset I use for smaller games with the kids, and a 3'x3' piece for Star Trek Attack Wing and (soon) X-Wing. I've found that, if rolled tightly, they unroll totally flat slightly more slowly than I'd like if the playing surface is on the inside, but otherwise they live up to the lofty advertising claims.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jensen
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am about to finish my game table. It is set up and we can play on it but there are some drawers and a dining surface that I need to finish up.

1 The recessed edges are comfortable to rest your arms on and they prevent dice and other game pieces from falling off the table. My kids like coconuts and now they don't get all over the floor.
2 For the playing surface I used Bella Velvet Microfiber which I ordered here:

http://www.fabricmill.com/bella-royal.html

3 6 by 4 is a little bigger then what I made. Mine ended up with a 5 by 3 playing surface and it is bigger then what we used to use so it works good.

[geekurl=https://boardgamegeek.com/article/19958644][/geekurl]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GnG Ice wrote:
These two threads discuss vaults and leaning ledges:
Game Table Design Series: Game Table Features - Vaults
Game Table Design Series: Game Table Features - Leaning Ledge

GnG Ice wrote:

Here is the thread that describes different play surfaces:
Game Table Design Series: Game Table Features - Play Surface

GnG Ice wrote:

Make sure that the table you want to build will actually fit in the room you have planned. For table sizes compared to room sizes, this thread will cover it:
Game Table Design Series: What Size Should My Table Be?

For the main index for all of these links (and many more), check it out here:
Game Table Design Series: Index

Hope this helps and good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Wilkins
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
GnG Ice wrote:
Hey guys!

How did yours come out?

I made my table out of 1 4x8 sheet of finished wood... don't remember what kind.. it was $18 at Home Depot. Already smooth and ready for paint/stain or on it's own.

I cut it into 3x3, 4x4 and the rest I made to cut out recessed spots for tokens, rulers, and dice rolling, as well as cup holders. I also used velvet fabric. IMO, came out pretty nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.