United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Intro:
These are VERY early thoughts after a weekend of deckbuilding and playing games on octgn with the 2.0 Core, from someone who has only ever played a few games of 1.0. I’m not a GoT LCG expert, and I’m sure some of these impressions will be shown to be wrong with more play, and as the metagame develops.

My focus here is STRICTLY on 2 player games. Not multiplayer. Playing multiplayer is an entirely different animal, and is a diplomatic game, and is not about playing cards which hurt one opponent. For example, killing a major enemy character with ‘Put to the Sword’ is a big deal in 2 player, but in multiplayer it’s probably a bad move because it costs you resources to hurt only one opponent, and probably earns you a big enemy for the rest of the game.

I recommend you look at a card list while reading this, because I am going to name a ton of cards but not provide their details because that would take forever. For example here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nwYUxdN9PRztV7frsDx5...
Or here:
http://agotgame.com/en/cards/list

Thoughts on Plots:
As you will be using plots in all your decks, and they are always available to you and have a huge impact on the game, I think it is important to think about them first.

A Clash of Kings: A solid plot for the turn when you are going for the win in a close game. High initiative lets you go first, win a power challenge, and steal extra power. I expect this to be played occasionally.

A Feast for Crows: Strong income and 2 power if you can win dominance, but low support value. This seems like a good plot for decks that are aiming to win through dominance power accumulation. Its probably not an early game plot due to the low support value. I expect this to see some play as a role player for dominance based decks.

A Game of Thrones: Strongly shuts down any opponent who cannot win an intrigue challenge against you. This is a key plot for factions that are strong in Intrigue, such as Lannister, it will hold off your opponent from doing anything for a full turn. I expect this to be an automatic pick for any deck strong at intrigue.

A Noble Cause: Very strong economy plot, used for getting out your big character. Looks to be heavily used, because the format of the core set is all about big powerful characters. I expect to see this in many decks.

A Storm of Swords: A Niche player in military heavy decks where you have characters that can participate in multiple military challenges without tapping.

Building Orders: Useful for fetching your key location for factions that rely on a specific location for their card draw, such as Baratheon, Greyjoy, Tyrell, etc. It isn’t completely reliable, but when it fails it probably at least picks you up an economy card. I expect this to see some play.

Calling the Banners: Very strong economy option if your opponent has a lot of guys in play. I think that decks that do not want to use Wildfire may opt to use this. Decks that aren’t kill focused can use this well. When building your deck, you will probably ask yourself “is this the kind of deck where I want to Wildfire my opponents extra guys away, or is this the kind of deck where I just want to play Calling the Banners if they get a bunch of guys”? I think it will see a good amount of play. I probably wouldn’t play it and Wildfire together. (Though perhaps you could play this first, making your opponent think you don’t have Wildfire, then they overextend even more and you play Wildfire?)

Calm over Westeros: This plot seems strong for several reasons: The ability to deny your opponent a challenge that could wreck you (such as military right away when you cannot handle losing someone), and being a decent economy card that is immune to Naval Superiority plot. If you regularly are playing something like A Noble Cause on turn 1, opponents could wreck you by playing Naval Superiority. Starting with this instead helps you avoid that. I expect this to see a lot of play.

Confiscation: Critical guaranteed-to-be-available attachment removal for anyone who has problems getting rid of attachments. Everyone has been playing this in all the decks I’ve seen so far, to get rid of opponents strong attachments or Milk of the Poppy. I expect this to see a lot of play.

Counting Coppers: A good way to rebuild your hand later on, but you probably wont be able to play much that turn. Good for decks that intend to play a long game but don’t have reliable card draw options. I think it will see some play.

Filthy Accusations: I have become more and more enamored with this the more I’ve played, as a way to shut down enemy power characters. I’ve started playing this as my double copy card in multiple decks. Getting to the midgame and being able to shut down your opponents big character two turns in a row can often put you far enough ahead to win. I expect this to see a lot of play.

Fortified Position. Maybe playable in a deck without many character abilities, but it nullifies your own characters as well. I’d much rather shut down my opponents most powerful character. However, this might become important as a meta play to shut off a key ability for a turn. I haven’t tried it yet, it doesn’t feel like a major player to me, but who knows. It at least gives decent economy that is immune to Naval Superiority.

Heads on Spikes. I’ve seen a lot of people talking about this, and some even saying they want to play 2 of it and use them turn 1-2. But it doesn’t feel that strong to me. When it doesn’t hit a character and you don’t get two power its not very exciting. I don’t like the high variance of this card, but I don’t think its bad, it should see some play.

Jousting Contest: A niche card for decks focused on a few high power characters that they would like to 1 on 1 with in challenges. I haven't found a time to fit it in yet.

Marched to the Wall: A very key card to include in your deck for one simple reason: If your opponent has a weak setup hand, and can only put one character into play, who is expensive, then you can play this turn 1 and pretty much win the game right there. The existence of this card has a huge impact on deckbuilding and setup, it essentially requires you to try to put out cheap guys during setup, and thus you need sufficient cheap guys in your deck. (You should want to play several cheap guys in setup anyway, to draw more cards). Also, in any deck with good military, sometimes you can kill off their weak guys using military challenges, and they will start a turn with only big characters in play, the perfect time to hit them with this. I would strongly consider this card in most decks for the ability to sometimes ruin your opponents start.

Marching Orders: It gets utterly destroyed by Naval Superiority, but aside from that it can be a great way to vomit all your characters onto the board early on. (Or a couple high value ones). I would be a lot more excited by this if Naval Superiority wasn’t a card. As is, it’s probably still good in decks that are a bit too heavy on character costs.

Naval Superiority: The existence of this card is a big deal. Pretty much every game, there are points when I play a Plot, and I am incredibly afraid that my opponent will play this and completely ruin me. It makes me value things that aren’t Kingdom or Edict such as Calm over Westeros much more. There is a meta element to this card, which is important for repeat play against the same opponent. If your opponent always opens up with A Noble Cause or something like that to get max economy for playing out a big character turn 1, you can get ahead by slapping this down turn 1 and ruining their play. I would recommend playing this at least some of the time in your decks, it will make your opponents live in fear of it, and they might need to change their plots to things that are weaker economically in order to avoid it.

Power Behind the Throne: While it doesn’t give much money, the untap ability can be very strong, especially once you get a big, multi challenge symbol character that has added effects upon winning a challenge, such as Renown or Insight. It can counteract Filthy Accusations, though you get one less income than them.

Rebuilding: Seems like complete crap to me. If it shuffled from dead pile into your deck I would see its use, to let you replay someone that died, but it doesn’t even do that. And it doesn’t avoid Naval Superiority either. My pick for weakest plot in the game.

Reinforcements: A decent economy option if your key characters are cost 5, not 6 or 7. Naval Superiority doesn’t harm you much. I would play this card if your metagame is heavy on the intrigue decks, and your opponents are forcing you to discard key characters from your hand frequently. Otherwise I would probably prefer something else.

Sneak Attack: This card is a big deal, and you have to worry about a turn 1 sneak attack out of aggressive factions, inflicting a 2 claim military beatdown on you before you even get to use your characters. It can also be useful for going for the win in a close game, choosing to go first and making a 2 claim power challenge. And it is immune to Naval Superiority. I expect this to see a lot of play, as both the highest initiative plot and one of only two 2 claim plots.

Summons: This card searches for your key character, and thus should see play in decks that rely on one character. Like Melisandre. I’m pretty sure almost every Melisandre deck will run this. So far I’ve played it twice in decks with Melisandre, and it hasn’t yet given her to me. Sigh. Also great in Tyrell decks to find both Left and Right early on. I expect it to see a good amount of play.

Supporting the Faith: Helps you get a good economy boost and then deny your opponent the ability to play events that cost money. Should see play in decks that don’t have events that cost money (or that can pay for their event that costs money with something like the Fealty agenda.

Taxation: A useful option in decks that are heavily loaded with Limited cards. For example, a Lannister deck with the limited merchant guy, plus economy locations. If you're running 12 or so limited cards you should play this.

The Winds of Winter: The only claim 2 card that lets you make multiple challenges, this is a very strong plot to play at any time you are ahead on the board, to help seal the deal. I think it will see a lot of play.

Wildfire Assault: Probably the most important plot of all, in terms of impact on the game. Version 2.0 does not contain Valar Morghulis (a plot which killed all characters), and thus this is the most major reset plot available. Because this allows each player to keep 3 characters, the game becomes largely a question of “whose top 3 characters are strongest”. You cannot count on 6 smaller guys to equal your opponents three large characters, because you will get wrecked by Wildfire. Decks that try to gain numbers superiority over their opponent (winning militarily, killing enemy characters with events), should think twice before putting this card in their deck, because eventually you will need to play it yourself when you run out of other plots! I have seen someone get wrecked by their own wildfire. Decks focused around their best power characters should definitely play this card. I expect this to see a lot of play, whether you play it will be very deck dependent.

Example plot setup:

Baratheon deck:
2x Filthy Accusations. Combo your Stannis ability with more tapping.
1x Summons. Find Melisandre or Stannis.
1x Calm over Westeros. Good economy, prevent losing a challenge when needed.
1x Confiscation. Kill an attachment such as Milk of the Poppy on Melisandre or Stannis.
1x Raise the Banners. Hopefully your opponent has soem extra tapped guy. No use kill them with Wildfire, might as well profit form them with this!
1x A Feast for Crows. Good economy, play when you are solidly winning Dominance to get closer to victory.

Lannister deck:
1x A Game of Thrones. Since you should dominate Intrigue, this should shut your opponent down for the whole turn.
1x Calm over Westeros. Deny their military challenge kill for a turn.
1x A Noble Cause. Help get out Tywin, Jamie, Tyrion, or Cersei.
1x Wildfire Assault. Since you are probably losing militarily, you should be behind your opponent in terms of characters on board. Use this to equalize.
1x Naval Superiority. Play the turn you think your opponent is going for an economy card. Ruin their turn, then beat them in intrigues and hope you make them discard the character they wanted to play.
1x The Winds of Winter. Combine with Casterly Rock to make multiple 2 claim intrigue challenges and leave your opponent with no cards.
1x Building Orders. Fetch your key Lannister locations (Casterly Rock or Lannisport) to improve the returns from your intrigue wins.

Obviously these aren't the only plot decks you can make for these factions, they are just my early thoughts on something you might try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoughts on Factions:

Greyjoy:

A Greyjoy Decklist:
http://agotgame.com/en/deck/view/196

Greyjoy seemed to be the top tier 1 faction from our initial play. Or perhaps I should say that it seemed to be the easiest faction to build a strong deck with, just by throwing all the cards that seem good into the deck. I hope that with more time, and by building other factions with an eye towards stopping Greyjoy, more strong decks will appear out of many houses.

Greyjoy plays as a highly resilient aggro deck with good disruption, which tend to be the types of aggro decks that have success. Greyjoy’s stealth characters such as Asha, Theon, and even Balon with the Great Kraken in play, are good at generating unopposed challenges. This provides the solid scoring potential and kill potential through Throwing Axes (which also make their characters tough to block), and the play of Put to the Sword after winning a challenge by 5. The Kraken’s Grasp event is also very useful at getting unopposed challenges by blank opponents strength.

Greyjoy has good disruption with We Do Not Sow, destroying both attachments and locations. Lordsport Shipwright also provides disruption by tapping (oh wait, I should say ‘kneeling’) strong opponent location cards or economy cards. Euron can turn destroyed enemy locations into economy or abilities for yourself!

Once Greyjoy has its key characters in play, they can win in a hurry through a combination of unopposed challenge power, Renown power, and power generated from Great Kraken.

Their resilience comes from the ability to return from the dead, via Risen from the Sea, a very powerful effect which can counteract an opponent’s big play while also boosting your strength for the future, or with Aeron Damphir returning dead characters to play.

Greyjoy is weak against Intrigue, with only Euron providing a large intrigue value. This makes many of their characters vulnerable to Tears of Lys, however the ability to play Risen from the Sea or recur with Aeron Damphir mitigates this weakness greatly. Making a big play to Tears of Lys a key character only to get foiled by Risen from the Sea is very rough. Greyjoy has very strong low cost events, and therefore The Hand’s Judgement could be very strong against them (though it might be weak in many other matchups).

Key cards:
All the core characters seem like key cards for Greyjoy: Asha, Theon, Balon, and Euron. Add in Aeron for recursion, Lordsport Shipright for disruption, Fishmonger for economy, and probably some Salty Navigators or other filler characters. I strongly prefer the characters with the Ironborn trait, in order to be brought back form the dead, and to equip axes, over cards like Drowned Men that do not have this trait. Of course, you need to have enough cheap characters that you can put some out during setup phase, you don’t want to do a setup phase where you just slap down only a couple cards.

Other key cards are the Great Kraken, your only card draw source, and therefore an automatic 3-of in my mind, Iron Fleet Scouts which are great at cost 0 to aid your ability to setup more cards and are a great help in challenges, and all of the Greyjoy events, which are very strong.

Countering Greyjoy:
So far the only real success I have had in countering Greyjoy was with a Baratheon strategy of tapping (oh wait, ‘kneeling’) their key characters. This could be achieved in other factions as well by splashing Melisandre with a Baratheon Agenda. Killing Greyjoy characters seems fairly pointless, as they will probably be saved by Risen from the Sea or brought back. Greyjoy characters are very hard to block as well, so tapping them is the only thing that works reliably.

Agenda for Greyjoy faction:

I found Fealty to be quite useful for Greyjoy. In addition to wanting all the loyal cards, it helps you play We Do Not Sow without needing money in your pool. Its also useful to have a lot of Greyjoy cards to maximize your synergies for your fleets, and cards that require the Ironborn trait. Alternately, splashing Melisandre seems good in almost anything, and you might consider adding a faction with good Intrigue characters to shore up your main weakness.

Greyjoy as a secondary faction (Agenda):

In our initial play, Greyjoy was also strong as a secondary faction. It is primarily useful if you are looking to be able to take some losses without suffering much impact, so they are good at shoring up a faction who is weak on military. While you miss out on the renoun characters, and the We Do Not Sow and The Krakens Grasp events, you can still play Asha and Theon and Throwing Axes to help get unopposed challenge wins, Shiprights for disruption, and survivability with Aeron and Risen from the Sea.

You do have to play a lot of Ironborn characters to make use of some of these effects, so if you are splashing Greyjoy it is probably because you don’t want many characters from your original faction, you mostly want their loyal cards, and then you look to fill out your deck with Greyjoy. For example, taking the Lannister loyal characters and card draw buildings, and filling your deck out with Greyjoy to strengthen military and survivability.

Baratheon:

A Baratheon Deck:
http://agotgame.com/en/deck/view/197

Baratheon seemed like the other Tier 1 strategy in initial play. Their ability to tap opponent characters, (I’m going to give up on saying ‘kneel’ now and just say tap), with Melisandre, and to keep characters tapped with Stannis is very strong. Baratheon will not look to kill enemy characters, but simply to keep them tapped and useless. This is very effective against Greyjoy, who are resilient to being killed, and this is what makes Baratheon the tier 1 control deck contender in my mind.

Stannis acts like a Winter Orb (a Magic card) to prevent characters from untapping for both players. What this means is: You want many tap and untap effects in your deck. Melisandre, characters with Intimidate, Shireen, plots, etc. You don’t need to try to kill opponent characters, just tap them. Also, ways to negate the abilities of any enemy characters that have ways to untap.

Baratheon’s locations reward them for winning power challenges and dominance, which plays into your control strategy. Keep more characters standing than your opponent, win power and dominance, and gradually accumulate power and keep it.

The Baratheon events are strong at keeping you ahead in the race to have more untapped characters. Consolidation of Power helps you tap out their little guys, and is great with Stannis in play. You can stick the power on their worst character and hope they take it as a casualy at some point. Ours is the Fury gives a surprise block and untap effect. Both cost money however, which means that Baratheon benefits a lot from the Fealty agenda. (In general, factions that have good loyal events that cost money benefit from Fealty much more than those that don’t, since they help you to activate it more often). As a result, Baratheon is a solid mono-color choice.

Baratheon Agendas:
While Fealty seems strong to help you play Baratheon events, if you are looking to add another faction you would probably look for one that helped you untap allies or tap enemy characters. Tyrell seems like the best choice for this. Randyll Tarly is able to untap anytime you increase his strength, which can be done by activating Heartsbane. Left and Right, when combo-ed together, can block without tapping.

Baratheon as a secondary faction (Agenda):

Baratheon seem like a very strong secondary faction for almost anyone, allowing you to add Melisandre and the R’hllor package to your deck. Melisandre helps you to tap down your strongest enemy character each turn, which is amazing in the current state of the game which prioritizes large powerful characters. Cards to include are Melisandre, Fiery Followers, Seen in Flames, and Selyse (though Selyse’ ability is very weak when you’re only splashing Baratheon). I’m not sure how many of each of these you actually want, but I would guess you definitely want 3 Melisandre and 3 Fiery Followers. Chamber of the Painted table is another amazing addition for any faction that looks to win Dominance. Shireen should be included as at least a 1-of, as she is probably the best chump-blocker in the game. King’s Hunting Party is an efficient way to add a big military character if you need it, and Ser Davos is interesting as well.

Any deck including Melisandre will probably want to use the Summons Plot to fetch her out early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Reserved)

More factions to come in a couple days once I get a chance to write some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Reserved)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Reserved)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Suied
msg tools
mb
I think people are sleeping on jousting contest, but in testing it has been fantastic for stopping decks reliant on stealth or heavily skewed towards one icon. Definitely will be relevant just to break up the greyjoy death ball turns.

Also, I've found the splashed Melisandre package to be very inconsistent, as Selyse is horrible out of faction. Davos and Hunting Party have been all-stars though, so there's definitely pull to bara.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Fetterkey
msg tools
mb
I've been quite successful with Targaryen Fealty and just killing everything. Here's my decklist and strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fetterkey wrote:
I've been quite successful with Targaryen Fealty and just killing everything. Here's my decklist and strategy.

Interesting. Marched to the wall is definitely key in targaryen I think, discarding Viserion to it is awesome.

My main concern with that deck is how will it deal with a Greyjoy deck with Aeron Damphair and Risen form the Sea. Greyjoy seems strong against kill decks, and they should be played heavily I think because they seem to be tier 1. This makes me want to avoid kill decks in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SamRS wrote:
I think people are sleeping on jousting contest, but in testing it has been fantastic for stopping decks reliant on stealth or heavily skewed towards one icon. Definitely will be relevant just to break up the greyjoy death ball turns.

I felt that Jousting party would be bad vs Greyjoy!
Asha attacks you on power, stealths your highest power cahracter, none of the rest of you are big enough to block, given that I have a scout fleet to pump. Now she attacks in military and stealths your biggest guy. Now euron attacks in intrigue. You can only block with one guy as well, which probably means that after you got stealthed, no one is left that is big enough to block.

Quote:

Also, I've found the splashed Melisandre package to be very inconsistent, as Selyse is horrible out of faction. Davos and Hunting Party have been all-stars though, so there's definitely pull to bara.

Bartheon also has the Painted Table splash, for any faction good at dominance. My splash was something like 3 Melisandre, 3 Fiery Followers, 1 Shireen Baratheon (best chump blocker in game!), a couple of the Rhllor event, and then some Davos, Hunting Party, Painted Table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I added decklists to the Greyjoy and Baratheon sections.

They've been tested for a few games at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My initial impressions.

Greyjoy is ultra-strong.

Baratheon with Stannis (and Lightbringer) + Robert is near unstoppable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Suied
msg tools
mb
Alexfrog wrote:

I felt that Jousting party would be bad vs Greyjoy!
Asha attacks you on power, stealths your highest power cahracter, none of the rest of you are big enough to block, given that I have a scout fleet to pump. Now she attacks in military and stealths your biggest guy. Now euron attacks in intrigue. You can only block with one guy as well, which probably means that after you got stealthed, no one is left that is big enough to block.

Usually you just throw one of the dorks in the way of Asha so she doesn't get unopposed and can't go again. I haven't seen much Euron actually hit the table, but he could be an issue.

Quote:

Bartheon also has the Painted Table splash, for any faction good at dominance. My splash was something like 3 Melisandre, 3 Fiery Followers, 1 Shireen Baratheon (best chump blocker in game!), a couple of the Rhllor event, and then some Davos, Hunting Party, Painted Table.

Yeah I've mostly moved to 3 hunting party, 2-3 Davos, 2 chamber, 1-2 Shireen and then fill in with veteran lancer/bastard for some claim soak. Prefer lancers over bastards as both just tend to die and lancer does something along the way.
EDIT: Also Cressen, almost forgot about him

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I notice you deprioritize the Kingsroad in your decks. May I ask why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Azeltir wrote:
I notice you deprioritize the Kingsroad in your decks. May I ask why?

Maybe I should have more of it, but its hard to fit in. I was thinking I didnt want to overload on limiteds, but maybe 9 of them is fine?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Fetterkey
msg tools
mb
Alexfrog wrote:
fetterkey wrote:

Interesting. Marched to the wall is definitely key in targaryen I think, discarding Viserion to it is awesome.

My main concern with that deck is how will it deal with a Greyjoy deck with Aeron Damphair and Risen form the Sea. Greyjoy seems strong against kill decks, and they should be played heavily I think because they seem to be tier 1. This makes me want to avoid kill decks in general.

Thus far I have won three or four games with Targaryen against Greyjoy and not lost any. It doesn't seem like a particularly advantaged or disadvantaged matchup to me.

Aeron Damphair can be a problem if he gets to trigger but is countered by Milk of the Poppy, killing him, Marched to the Wall (discard rather than dead), or just winning dominance. Thus far I think he's only ever had a chance to go off against me once. I think you need The Iron Throne out to make Aeron a serious threat, and that strikes me as a pretty janky combo at this stage in the game. I could be wrong though, I haven't played that much as Greyjoy yet. The Night's Watch maester who kneels to save has been more annoying for me for sure because he isn't reliant on winning dominance.

Risen from the Sea doesn't do anything if you reduce someone's health below 0 with Dracarys! or Plaza of Punishment and you always have The Hand's Judgement to counter it as well. It does save people who go to exactly 0 because the +1 takes them out of the death zone, so that's good, but you can't save Theon from Dracarys! with it and you can't save Asha if Dany is out.

One problem unit has been Drowned Men, which can be difficult to control if there are enough Warships out. In general Targaryen doesn't like dealing with "scaling units" like Drowned Men or the Tyrell army that gets bonus strength for each Reach location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fetterkey wrote:
Alexfrog wrote:
fetterkey wrote:

Thus far I have won three or four games with Targaryen against Greyjoy and not lost any. It doesn't seem like a particularly advantaged or disadvantaged matchup to me.

Aeron Damphair can be a problem if he gets to trigger but is countered by Milk of the Poppy, killing him, Marched to the Wall (discard rather than dead), or just winning dominance. Thus far I think he's only ever had a chance to go off against me once. I think you need The Iron Throne out to make Aeron a serious threat, and that strikes me as a pretty janky combo at this stage in the game. I could be wrong though, I haven't played that much as Greyjoy yet. The Night's Watch maester who kneels to save has been more annoying for me for sure because he isn't reliant on winning dominance.

Risen from the Sea doesn't do anything if you reduce someone's health below 0 with Dracarys! or Plaza of Punishment and you always have The Hand's Judgement to counter it as well. It does save people who go to exactly 0 because the +1 takes them out of the death zone, so that's good, but you can't save Theon from Dracarys! with it and you can't save Asha if Dany is out.

One problem unit has been Drowned Men, which can be difficult to control if there are enough Warships out. In general Targaryen doesn't like dealing with "scaling units" like Drowned Men or the Tyrell army that gets bonus strength for each Reach location.

In games I've played or watched I think I've seen Targaryen go like 0-6 vs Greyjoy.

Maybe we werent doing it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went up to 2 Kingsroad in both decklists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, that makes the Baratheon deck illegal due to too many neutral cards in a fealty deck. I took out Bodyguard and a Tears of Lys in my version, replacing with 2x Maester Cressen for the glut of Poppy (and to sometimes get to snipe Little Birds).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Azeltir wrote:
BTW, that makes the Baratheon deck illegal due to too many neutral cards in a fealty deck. I took out Bodyguard and a Tears of Lys in my version, replacing with 2x Maester Cressen for the glut of Poppy (and to sometimes get to snipe Little Birds).

Sounds good.

Yes, I think Maester Cressen should definitely be included to fight Poppy. Especially on Melisandre!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Voodoo Chile
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've also noticed that Baratheon & Greyjoy seem to be quite strong, and so I've been trying to play what I think are the weaker houses while things aren't at all competitive. I have some initial observations about Stark:

It's surprisingly hard to kill important characters as Stark. It's hard to pull together the money and STR for a Put To The Sword, and there are usually enough chump blockers out to stymie your plans. Realistically, I don't think that Put To The Sword can be reliably used unless you are running Filthy Accusations as a plot to take out their big defender and/or have Arya Stark in play.

At first I wrote off the Direwolf package, but Like Warm Rain seems to be the easiest way for Stark to kill someone juicy and so I've switched over to that and have had better luck.

Rattleshirt's Raiders seems like a great card to play in Stark. You're probably winning military challenges anyways, and even though it's hard to kill someone good, at least you can get rid of Milk of Poppies and that sort of thing.

I have no idea whether or not to just give up entirely on Intrigue and save the deck slots for more kill stuff. There are a lot of Greyjoy kill decks that entirely forgo intrigue and they work great. I wonder if the same is true for Stark? Catelyn is quite nice to stop Tears of Lys from being eligible to be played, however.

And finally, I'm not sure how to use Robb Stark effectively. As a military player, don't you usually want to go first? So your opponent makes sure his last challenge is a military and so at most you get 1 trigger off of Robb Stark and that wins you dominance. Maybe you get to kill a chump with Greywind. Anyways, other than his renown, I don't like him very much at all. Who does he combo with? How do you take advantage?

I'd really love some other advice on how to play Stark effectively. I never played Thrones 1.0, but it's already clear to me that going Military is hard. Intrigue seems like a much easier way to dispatch high power characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience with stark:

* Grey Wind was pretty good at picking off dudes that they wanted to use to take military claim. But if you didnt get him, or didnt get Robb to go with him, Stark had a hard time getting good use out of their military.

* I was able to play Put to the Sword with decent effectiveness.

* Like Warm Rain was good but requires untapped direwolves. In any position where you have untapped direwolves, your opponent should probably not send in their best intrigue character, they should send in chumps instead. Stark has trouble even defending against the chumps. Alos, if they play a counter on your Like Warm Rain that you were counting on to work, you get wrecked.

Overall they felt like significantly worse versions of Greyjoys. Not as much stealth, not as much pump (scout fleet), not as much death avoidance (extra arya copies is your main thing), not as much card draw (Winterfell Gate only works well in mono-stark and is only 1 card). In return you get to be somewhat better defending vs Intrigue due to Like Warm Rain.

The only other way I can think of that they beat Greyjoys is if your meta is heavy on Melisandre decks, and you can use Robb to stand your whole team after they get tapped down with melisandre and stannis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My current thoughts on tier list:

Tier 1:
Greyjoy (Great at winning through stealth, ignoring deaths, destroying attachments/locations. Decent card draw with Great Kraken. Scout fleets are awesome and help improve your odds of a strong setup flop).

Baratheon (Melisandre/Stannis/Tapping is awesome vs many factions. Great card draw with The Red Keep. Painted Table also strong. Solid at every type of challenge).

Tyrell (Ggenerally good all around, no weaknesses, but not as strong in any particular area as some of the others. Also very good as a splash faction. Randyll Tarly is great at being immune to Melisandre, and Left/Right together is also great against Stannis. Solid card draw with The Mander).

Tier 2:
Lannister (Might actually be tier 1, I'm not sure. Great tricks, great economy, solid card draw with Lannisport. Performs great against factions weak at intrigue, but I tend to have trouble against other factions that are good at Intrigue).

Martell (In faction top tier characters is a bit lacking, weak card draw with only Doran as persistant draw, and he feels overcosted. But they do have some stars like Gashton Grey location.)

Nights Watch (Lack of economy is holding them back some. They should probably go fealty to play Ravens for free to get card draw, which limits options. Benjen is good against stealth, and thus good against Greyjoy. Aemon is good against military/kill factions).

Tier 3:
Targaryen (Main problem is lack of card draw, and vulnerability to Dany getting shut down repeatedly with Filthy Accusations, Melisandre, etc. But mainly lack of card draw. Plaza of Punishment is strong but hard to use due to need to win power challenge.)

Stark (They mostly just seem like a weaker version of Greyjoy at present.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Suied
msg tools
mb
stark has a lot of power gain that's actually pretty hard to stop. Eventually Sansa stands up enough to win the game, winter is coming can also spike power for you. They also have 2 standing renown guys, definitely worth looking into, although most of the direwolves suck, as do their army.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
Protip: If you're running a fealty deck, don't forget to actually use fealty shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Fetterkey
msg tools
mb
There are people on CardGameDB claiming Targaryen is overtly broken. My own view is that it is probably tier one and at worst tier two. I suspect that it may be worth giving Targaryen another look before writing it off as tier three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.