Josh Teng
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hi All,

Need a bit of help to interpret some of the rules in BL:

1. When and how do you release the “stored” power (ie, 2 lore tokens for spider and earth elemental) of the creatures? Do you release the power when you choose a target but before your dice roll? Or do you release the power after your dice roll WITH a Lore hit?

In our play, we assumed that as the creature stored power is full, it can therefore release the power after it has chosen its target and do the dice roll after that. Hope we got that right…blush

2. What happen when Earth Elemental is releasing its 2nd power (earth shock? Can’t remember…) and the spider is adjacent to it but not the main target? Does the hit count as a critical and therefore allowing the Elemental’s controller to roll some dice for the kill?

3. Can the Earth Elemental be poisoned by the Spider? And if it can, does the lore roll count as a critical?

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carlton
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen any official responses to these questions, so this is only how I've played it so far.

1) We've played it so that you can elect to do it after the dice roll. So if you have one lore stored and roll a lore and a hit, you can poison on that turn. Or if you have two lore stored and roll a hit, you can poison.

Since you can decide after the roll whether you want to cast the web or store it up, it seemed logical (to me, anyway) that you could go through the same process as to whether to use poison or not. (I've spun webs a couple of times specifically because I've rolled 1 lore and 1 retreat. Take that you annoying little dwarves! One hit and no battle back!)

2) I've treated all of these types of hits (including panic loses) as standard/preliminary hits. They require a reroll of the banner color to score a critical hit. So in the case of the EE's earthquake against the spider, roll one die against the spider. If it's a green helmet, he's dead. Otherwise, he survives.

3) Yes, the EE can be poisoned by the spider. Each lore rolled now counts as a standard/preliminary hit and requires a reroll to see if it becomes critical.

Of course, I'm still not 100% sure how to get the Earth Elemental on the battlefield in the first place, but that's another story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For all of these mentioned hits, I believe that you get to roll a dice to try to get a critical.

But it's not an instant kill, you still have to roll to see if it dies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Earth Elemental is immune to his own powers, no problem there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme NIVART
France
Reims
Marne
flag msg tools
I'm treating this just like John Carlton say

J.C. Tsistinas wrote:
1. You release the power AFTER the dice have been rolled. You can only release stored lore on a HIT.

The only special power where a hit is needed is the poison of the Spieder right now.

Hill Giant's push back and EE's Tremor can only be triggered on rolled Lore, and the Earthquake can be trigger with either 2 Lore stored or 2 Lor rolled or a combination of one Lore rolled and one Lore stored.

Poison works the same as Earthquake but you need a hit too to trigger the power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
johncarlton wrote:
I haven't seen any official responses to these questions, so this is only how I've played it so far.

1) We've played it so that you can elect to do it after the dice roll. So if you have one lore stored and roll a lore and a hit, you can poison on that turn. Or if you have two lore stored and roll a hit, you can poison.

Since you can decide after the roll whether you want to cast the web or store it up, it seemed logical (to me, anyway) that you could go through the same process as to whether to use poison or not. (I've spun webs a couple of times specifically because I've rolled 1 lore and 1 retreat. Take that you annoying little dwarves! One hit and no battle back!)

2) I've treated all of these types of hits (including panic loses) as standard/preliminary hits. They require a reroll of the banner color to score a critical hit. So in the case of the EE's earthquake against the spider, roll one die against the spider. If it's a green helmet, he's dead. Otherwise, he survives.

3) Yes, the EE can be poisoned by the spider. Each lore rolled now counts as a standard/preliminary hit and requires a reroll to see if it becomes critical.

Of course, I'm still not 100% sure how to get the Earth Elemental on the battlefield in the first place, but that's another story.

You got it right pretty much. Anytime a card/power/dice/whatever says a creature takes a hit, that hit counts as if a nuit attacking that creature had just rolled a hit against the creature. So you re-roll the number of hits the creature took to see if it took a critical hit (just like you would if a unit had attacked the spider)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Philip Thomas wrote:
The Earth Elemental is immune to his own powers, no problem there.

The earth elemental does not need immunity. The effect targets surrounding hexes. The earth elemental is not standing in a surrounding hex.

(wow, thats a technicality if ever there was one)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.