Subject: Gen Con SmashUp Tournament rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joey Galeziewski
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
What were the rules? what was the format? I would like to see how they "officially" ran it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F
msg tools
I can only speak for certain about the qualifiers as that's as far as I made it, but here goes.

The first four qualifying events had four tables of four players each (16 total players for the event). Each event had four rounds of games. Players in the first round were grouped by check in order. Each subsequent round, players played against those whose finish was similar to theirs (players with the highest scores played each other, second highest vs. second highest, etc).

The first round, players could factions from the base game only. The second round, it became base game and awesome level 9000 factions. The third round, base game and cthulu factions(monster smash was replaced). Fourth round, base game and monster smash factions (with cthulu being replaced).

Each players overall score determined which four players from each qualifier moved onto the semis. I scored 55 points in my qualifier and missed out tying for fourth by 2 points (ties were determined by average placement in the four events, I think).

My friend made it to the semis (he finished in 6-7th in the semis) so I'll try to tell you how they alternated the format (scoring and player grouping remained the same) but I may be wrong. The main difference between the qualifiers and the semis was that you couldn't select the same pairings of factions after you played it in a round. For instance, if you picked Aliens and Zombies in your first round game, you couldn't play it again in the next three rounds. You could pick one of those (say Aliens) and play it with a different faction in each subsequent round of games though.

The difference between the qualifiers and the semis that I'm unsure about is: instead of replacing expansions between rounds, they simply added expansions so that by the fourth round of games players were choosing factions from the base game, awesome level 9000, cthulu, and monster smash.

Although we stopped by and said "Hi" to the guys in the finals and the judges, we didn't really stay long enough to see the differences between the semis and the championships.

Edit: Lee said they were looking at options on altering the event (scoring, rounds, etc) so if you're using this to make a decision whether or not to play in the future, take the above with a grain of salt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F
msg tools
In case you wanted to know, overall playing in the tournament was very fun. AEG's volunteer judges, Lee and Jeremy, were very nice guys and a pleasure to meet. In the qualifier I played in, the players had a broad range of experience with the game so occasionally questions of rule interpretations and these guys really knew their stuff. Highly recommend AEG uses them next year if they choose to volunteer again.

Most players were very amiable and fun to play with. Most pairings of players were cool if somebody made a mistake laying down a card and wanted to pick it up (unlike in most tournament formats where once a player plays a card and removes their hand, the cards counts as played) or if players asked each other rules questions about their cards instead of the judges.

While I liked adding of expansions over the course of play instead of simply starting with everything available, I was mildly disappointed with them not using the more recent expansions in any part of the event (qualifiers, semis, or finals). Also, during the rounds in which the cthulu factions were available, if the four players in a grouping simply decided not to play with those factions at all (with bases simply being about points and any Madness cards they may introduce)those players had an advantage for overall scoring as they couldn't lose points when scoring the round.

Four rounds of games (with each round being 45 minutes and only about 5-10 minutes between) was probably one round too long. It's nice in that it gives each player a legitimate shot if they have a bad game, but it was part of the reason the event was spread out over all four days of Gen Con (which if you made it to the final table became at least 12 hours of prime Gen Con hours if you chose a qualifier while the exhibit hall was open and wanted to check it out, it only being open from 10-6 TH-SAT, 9-5 SUN). Being 4 hours also had the effect of players who were not doing so well in overall scoring dropping out in rounds 3 and 4 if things started to go long. A suggestion for subsequent tournaments would be to make the qualifiers only two rounds (base game plus 2 expansions as options for factions each round)and finish them all on Thursday. Then have the semis start around 6 on Friday (probably go back to four rounds) and the championship around 6 on Saturday.

Again, my experience was highly enjoyable and a great bang for the buck. If you go to Gen Con in the future, I definitely would recommend playing in the tournament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
an an
msg tools
the winner used which combo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, so there was no Sci-Fi Double Feature used during the tournament?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach McGuckin
msg tools
I feel like it would have been smarter just to allow all factions, play by the Pretty Pretty Smash Up rulebook including the madness rules from The Obligatory Cthulu Set, but whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F
msg tools
Parsat wrote:
Wait, so there was no Sci-Fi Double Feature used during the tournament?

No. Not in the first two rounds. Didn't really pay attention when we stopped by to say "hi" during the finals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Barth
msg tools
mbmbmb
How were factions chosen?

* How was it decided who go to choose first?
* Did that person choose 1 factions and then the next person in a two-round draft, or did he choose 2 factions and then the next person chose in a one-round draft?

Did this change in subsequent rounds (realizing that what you could choose from changed each round)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.