GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,702 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Dustin Clingman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our 25th Episode is LIVE! This week Matt and Dustin interview Three Time Platinum Tier Champion FlyingArrow from the Board Game Geek League!
http://traffic.libsyn.com/megahaulin/MegaHaulinEp25.mp3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoffer Nilsson
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

I found this podcast (and this game) pretty recently and started to listen from the beginning. Hopefully I will be caught up tomorrow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Clingman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kristoffer! Hope you enjoy it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a great episode! TJ aka FlyingArrow was a great guest, and I couldn't agree with him more about the importance of recognizing and adjusting to the pace of the game. I think this is an important element of advanced strategy, and something that I don't think gets talked about enough. (I have considered writing an article on this topic for a while, so if TJ doesn't eventually write one then I may have to stop being lazy and give my thoughts on the matter... ;P)

I also appreciated his thoughts on "turning a 0% chance to win into a 25% chance to win", or "stealing a win" as I like to call it. It is these kinds of wins over the course of a couple thousand games that can make the difference between a good player (50-55 win%) and a great player (55-60 win%).

Great listening, and keep scrappin' those scouts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HomerJr wrote:
the importance of recognizing and adjusting to the pace of the game.

Here's my hand:
3 Scouts
1 Imperial Frigate
1 Explorer

No discard pile. Here's my draw deck:
1 Imperial Frigate
3 Scouts
1 Trade Bot
1 Supply Bot
1 Command Ship
1 Explorer

It's turn 16 and this is the trade row:
Imperial Fighter, Machine Base, Junkyard, Trade Pod, Central Office

Opponent has 0 scrappers. What should I do? The plan was to use my 3 scrappers to get down to the Command Ship, my two Frigates, and whatever other combat I can pick up. So normally I'd take the Imperial Fighter and hope for another small combat ship to pop up like a Ram or Corvette.

But... I'm down 48-21. My opponent has a Battle Blob, Blob Destroyer, Barter World, Cutter, and 3 Explorers. I could lose on the next turn, and almost certainly *will* lose if I don't slow the game down somehow. So I scrap the Frigate and draw a Trade Bot. Buy the Junkyard. I'm probably still going to lose this match, but by recognizing the pace and getting an outpost (even a relatively bad one) I think I've turned a 1% chance of a win into probably 20%. Largely depends on how quickly I draw the Command Ship and Junkyard after the next shuffle. I'll let you know how it turns out.

===
Turn 18... the trade row hands me the Dreadnaught. I have to scrap the other Frigate to get enough trade to buy it, though. I'm down 31-22 at the end of my turn. He won't be able to kill me next turn, and very unlikely that he'll be able to do it the turn after that. I think things turned 60/40 in my favor very quickly.

===
Turn 20... drew both the Command Ship and Dreadnaught, but on turn 19 he got the Battle Blob. At then end of this turn I'm up 16-15 and have the Junkyard out.

===
Turn 22... he killed the Junkyard, but leaves me at 14 authority. He isn't able to recover enough of his own authority or put up a base. Command Ship + Dreadnaught + 3 allied scrappers finishes it off.

I thought this might be an example of the importance recognizing the pace of the game. Turns out it was an example of the Dreadnaught being a hammer. The Junkyard wasn't needed after all, though if he had drawn the Battle Blob on his last turn the Junkyard would have been the difference to keep me alive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cylon
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
HomerJr wrote:
This was a great episode! TJ aka FlyingArrow was a great guest, and I couldn't agree with him more about the importance of recognizing and adjusting to the pace of the game. I think this is an important element of advanced strategy, and something that I don't think gets talked about enough. (I have considered writing an article on this topic for a while, so if TJ doesn't eventually write one then I may have to stop being lazy and give my thoughts on the matter... ;P)

I also appreciated his thoughts on "turning a 0% chance to win into a 25% chance to win", or "stealing a win" as I like to call it. It is these kinds of wins over the course of a couple thousand games that can make the difference between a good player (50-55 win%) and a great player (55-60 win%).

Great listening, and keep scrappin' those scouts!

Write it! Reveal your secrets to me.. I mean do it to help the newbies! ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.