GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,409 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Jarl: The Vikings Tile-Laying Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules PDFs question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could someone please tell Spain to me why the Black Berzerker can't capture the White Ulfberht as stated in the PDFs directions on page 5? The Jarl seems to be legally able to capture, even though his Jump and the Berzerker's Strike should (?) be treated the same. Confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lakoda wrote:
(expect to parrot when it should be in stores).

When did they say?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'd argue this manual is better than the Duke's (less bloat) but this is a glaring issue and one fairly fundamental to game play. I'm sincerely hoping that I'm just an idiot and read it wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaleb Eubank
United States
Senatobia
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't see the issue. The Beserker is at the square explicitly covered by a defense icon, being 45 degrees from the ulfberht. Whereas the jarl is an additional square back, granting him the freedom to draw his line of approach because it's not straight.

Unless they've updated since you asked the question?

Edit: it's not the pathing, technically the Beserker has the same pathing options. However I think it's relying on this rules bit from defense: Even if the tile starts
the turn adjacent to the target tile, if the
square it starts on indicates a Defense
icon on that tile, the target cannot be
captured.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Limoges
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
To those in whom the will has turned and has denied itself, this our world, which is so real, with all its suns and milky-ways — is nothing. [A.Schopenhauer]
mbmbmbmbmb
This points to an issue I had reading the rules myself. It says that defense works if the square is ever passed through or if there is a square inside the target tile defending it. It never clearly says that a unit cannot leave a square to capture the unit casting the square (it only says this about adjacent tiles), or that a unit cannot attack if the target unit projects a square on you, but that seems to be the rule.

For example, they say on the same page that the berseker could not attack the Jarl even if the maiden was not there defending it, because the jarl's defense square is right on the berserker. It's not that there is a square in the path or on the target tile. The blocking is made by a square projected over the berserker.

As far as I understand the examples, you can never attack a unit that projects a square over your warrior's tile.

It's never explained this way, I just look at all the examples and it seems to work like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.